Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

This is a discussion on Anyone carry a Ruger LCR? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am looking at the LCR as a carry gun because it would be small and comfortable to carry but still pack a punch with ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

Anyone carry a Ruger LCR?

I am looking at the LCR as a carry gun because it would be small and comfortable to carry but still pack a punch with the .357mag rounds. Also, my wife could easily carry and operate it if she ever chose to.

Just looking to see if owners of this firearm seem to like it or dislike it and why.

I like the idea of a revolver because of the low maintenance.

2. Remove Ads

You'll hear plenty of good about the LCR and with good cause. 2 big Ruger revolver successes are the SP101 and the LCR in my opinion. My LCR gets frequent carry.

That's good to hear. How accurate is it with such a short barrel though? I've never fired a gun with such a short barrel.

One thing keeping me from purchasing it is that I feel like I don't want to add ANOTHER type of ammunition to purchase, you know? I feel like I should just get another, smaller, 9mm so the ammo is interchangable. I'm already getting rifle rounds, shotgun rounds, 9mm rounds---do I really want to add .380 and .357 to the mix? I wish there were 9mm revolvers...

Quote Originally Posted by AdBro View Post
    I wish there were 9mm revolvers...
    Look no further! 79920 9 mm Pitbull Rimless Revolver

I don't have much experience with CA, but I have heard good thing of them lately.

That's good to hear. How accurate is it with such a short barrel though? I've never fired a gun with such a short barrel.

One thing keeping me from purchasing it is that I feel like I don't want to add ANOTHER type of ammunition to purchase, you know? I feel like I should just get another, smaller, 9mm so the ammo is interchangable. I'm already getting rifle rounds, shotgun rounds, 9mm rounds---do I really want to add .380 and .357 to the mix? I wish there were 9mm revolvers...
    I absolutely love my LCR, however, you seem to indicate a resistance to it, since it will add another caliber of ammunition you would need to provide for it. The only thing I can suggest is that you continue to do research on it, and perhaps see if you can find someone who owns one and is willing to let you shoot it. In the end only you can decide whether it's worth it to you or not. And as has been mentioned, there are 9mm revolvers available.

I like the LCR a lot, but yeah...I'm slightly resistant because I don't want to buy a new caliber of ammo.

I knew 9mm revolvers were available, but I didn't see any at any local stores, I'll look into this more. Thanks.

I love my LCR and pocket carry it daily. Snubbies take some practice to master but my LCR is accurate and though it has stout recoil it is manageable. I have the 38SPCL model because I don't want to deal with the full recoil of a 357 in such a small carry piece. Plus in a such a short barrel the 357 isn't as effective as it should be out of a longer barreled gun.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I like the looks of this too.

Gun Review: Taurus 905 9mm Revolver | The Daily Caller

However, one of the things that drew me to the LCR is the interior hammer.

As for the 9mm revolvers I have two SP101 9mms and love them but they are too heavy for pocket carry which is how I primarily carry. Plus you can expect to pay a premium for them like at least $700-$800 on Gunbroker.

I am interested in the Charter Arms 9mm Pitbull but they are hard to find.

edit: just saw your reply about the Taurus 905 and I'd advise you to stay away from Charter. Their products are real hit and miss and I wouldn't want to take the risk.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Thank you for the information. This forum has been so helpful to me.

My .38 Spl LCR sees my primary carry duty during the work week. While the .357 Mag version does pack more "power" it is also heavier than the .38 version by a few ounces - enough to be noticed if you pocket carry it. If possible, I'd suggest you try them both and see which you (and your wife) like better. My bet would be with the .38 version.

I tried...and tried...and tried to get a reliable 9mm pocket pistol. Forget it. Get a revolver and don't look back. I won't buy another 9mm semi auto pistol smaller than a Glock 26.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

What is your reasoning for not buying another small 9mm?

Understandable considering ammo prices these days. My own small arsenal of handguns consists of revolvers in .38 or .357 and semi autos, all in 9mm.

With regard to the accuracy of a snub nose revolver, I'll say they are more difficult to shoot accurately than guns with a longer sight radius. At close in self defense distances they are accurate enough and with practice they can be very fast to get into service if the need arises. My LCR is the .357. I practice with 158 grain 38 spls and for defensive carry I use 158 grain 38 spl +Ps.

I love my LCR, but the trigger guard is bigger than on my J-frames, so the holsters aren't necessarily interchangeable. Both work fine in most hybrids, but in leather molded holsters for J-frames the retention of the LCR is pretty poor. The guard seems to keep it from seating fully.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters.
    If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
    --Alan Simpson

What is your reasoning for not buying another small 9mm?
    Since you asked...

Stepping off the "Pocket 9mm" Merry-Go-Round...Hello revolver!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30
    CT Lasers

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links