Owners opinions

This is a discussion on Owners opinions within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a xdm service pistol and love it. I'm wanting a conceal carry pistol stuck between XDS and The Sheild. I'm wanting opinions about ...

Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Thunder71

Thread: Owners opinions

  1. #1
    New Member Array LBLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Western Ky
    Posts
    8

    Question Owners opinions

    I have a xdm service pistol and love it. I'm wanting a conceal carry pistol stuck between XDS and The Sheild. I'm wanting opinions about each? Thanks

  2. Remove Ads

  3. #2
    Member Array XDshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    128
    I like both guns, but with a gun that small, you may want to consider the Shield in 9mm for recoil purposes. I've spoken to people that own the XDs and they tell me that the recoil is a bit snappy. Not uncontrollable, but snappy. Capacity might be a consideration too.
    "If it bleeds...we can kill it." -Dutch, Predator

  4. #3
    VIP Member Array Thunder71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Minnesota, USA
    Posts
    2,507
    I've owned and put 100's of rounds through each.

    My conclusion is this:
    They are both EXCELLENT carry pieces, you can't go wrong but...

    If you are a lefty, get the XD-S - I believe any safety on a gun should be ambidextrous, especially defensive guns. Even if you don't use the safety on the Shield it 'could' activate somehow, and with Murphy's law I don't care for it as a left handed shooter.

    If you are right handed, get the caliber you prefer.

    That said, I can put more shots on target in a tighter group with the XD-S than I could with the Shield. It's hard to explain about the recoil on it, it's got more 'punch' but it doesn't rise as much, so follow up shots are actually easier (at least for me).

    Carry wise, they are no different... they are both very easy to carry and conceal if you want. I carry OWB and have no problems even with tight shirts.
    buckshotshorty likes this.

  5. #4
    Member Array buckshotshorty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Florida Gulf Coast
    Posts
    217
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder71 View Post
    I've owned and put 100's of rounds through each.

    My conclusion is this:
    They are both EXCELLENT carry pieces, you can't go wrong but...

    If you are a lefty, get the XD-S - I believe any safety on a gun should be ambidextrous, especially defensive guns. Even if you don't use the safety on the Shield it 'could' activate somehow, and with Murphy's law I don't care for it as a left handed shooter.

    If you are right handed, get the caliber you prefer.

    That said, I can put more shots on target in a tighter group with the XD-S than I could with the Shield. It's hard to explain about the recoil on it, it's got more 'punch' but it doesn't rise as much, so follow up shots are actually easier (at least for me).

    Carry wise, they are no different... they are both very easy to carry and conceal if you want. I carry OWB and have no problems even with tight shirts.
    Can't get much better advice than this! In the end, it's really up to you.

  6. #5
    New Member Array LBLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Western Ky
    Posts
    8
    Thanks to all of you guys for your input very helpful. I probably should have specified I wanted 9 mm , sorry

  7. #6
    Member Array DocGlock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Central Arkansas
    Posts
    241
    Quote Originally Posted by LBLDOG View Post
    Thanks to all of you guys for your input very helpful. I probably should have specified I wanted 9 mm , sorry
    Then why did you put the XDS into your choice? It's only in .45.
    Glock Certified Armorer

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Oshkosh, Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,330
    ^ this

    I think you'd be happy with the M&P shield
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

  9. #8
    New Member Array LBLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Western Ky
    Posts
    8
    I'm sorry Doc Glock I was thinking xds was already made in 9mm also it's not? I was thinking they had already starting making in 9mm?

  10. #9
    Member Array BillK01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    161
    Quote Originally Posted by LBLDOG View Post
    I'm sorry Doc Glock I was thinking xds was already made in 9mm also it's not? I was thinking they had already starting making in 9mm?
    Supposedly 9mm & .40 sometime during the first quarter of 2013 for the XDS.

    I have a Shield 9mm and love it BTW.

  11. #10
    New Member Array LBLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Western Ky
    Posts
    8
    Thanks BillK o1

  12. #11
    Member Array Kawboy65's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    N.E. Ohio
    Posts
    63
    The Shield 9 is a great gun. The recoil isn't bad at all for a gun its size. You would not be disappointed with it

  13. #12
    New Member Array LBLDOG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Western Ky
    Posts
    8
    Thanks Kawboy

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

owners opinions

Click on a term to search for related topics.