Bersa 380 or Kel- tec p3at

This is a discussion on Bersa 380 or Kel- tec p3at within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am wanting to get another gun dont know weather i should get a bersa or the kel-tec 3AT can you guys give me some ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bersa 380 or Kel- tec p3at

I am wanting to get another gun dont know weather i should get a bersa or the kel-tec 3AT can you guys give me some information on witch one is better.
    My Home Is Protected BY
    Mossberg and Kimber
    The People who Take a Bite out of Crime

1911 Ultra Carry .45 .40 and 9mm
    Mossy 590 12G

Bersa .380 CC

My regular carry is the Bersa .380 Concealed Carry. Paid $259 NIB.

Absolutely no problems whatsoever. Only use factory mags. Very lite felt recoil. Spits 'em out like fire. Usually use Remington 88gr or Cor-Bon 90gr. Both JHP. Never had a FTF.

I know everybody says .380 is borderline on stopping power. Most CQC situations will be within seven feet, so at that point, it's all about shot placement.

I feel very comfortable with this gun.

Very easy to conceal, lightweight and easy to clean. Lots of safety features.

Great weapon, recommend it highly.

Good luck.

Distinguished Member Array jarhead79's Avatar
    Without rambling on and on about how great the Bersa is, I'll put my vote on it. It's a great gun.

On your HIP, it conceals like it's not there. It's not really a pocket gun, though.

For a pocket gun, the P3AT is your bet. A good pocket holster and you're set.

I don't know the Kel-tec's batting average right now, but in the past they were about 50-50 on needing a touch-up before full reliability.

The Bersa, unfortunately, has come into its own hiccup. Some get one that has a very stiff safety/decocker. Be sure to check this in the store before you buy it. If it's stiff, it can get warranty work, and only takes about a week, but I dont' personally like sending by new guns away.

$.02
    www.ubgholsters.com short wait times. Use 'defensivecarry' as a coupon code for a discount to your order.

LaP
    My two year old Bersa .380 has been a great little pistol. It's accurate, exellent sights, shoots to point of aim. I've had one FTF in approx. 600 rounds.
    For the price ($225) it's well worth it.

Both can be good carry guns. As mentioned, the Bersa is bigger than the Kel-Tec. Bersa Thunder 380 goes about 23 - 24 oz, whereas Kel-Tec is small, less than 9 oz.

That's an easy for me as another consideration comes into play. The Kel-Tec is not in the California Approved Handguns list so can't buy it here.

VIP Member
    I'm a fairly new Bersa Thunder 380 owner. My only experience with 380's before this time are with cheap belly guns in 380 which made me against own a 380. After joining this forum and hearing others speak so highly of the Bersa I did some investigating and could not find one bad thing writen about them. I now own one and love it. It is accurate and well made. With so many talking good about a Bersa how can you go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by jarhead79 View Post
    Without rambling on and on about how great the Bersa is, I'll put my vote on it. It's a great gun.

On your HIP, it conceals like it's not there. It's not really a pocket gun, though.

For a pocket gun, the P3AT is your bet. A good pocket holster and you're set.

I don't know the Kel-tec's batting average right now, but in the past they were about 50-50 on needing a touch-up before full reliability.

The Bersa, unfortunately, has come into its own hiccup. Some get one that has a very stiff safety/decocker. Be sure to check this in the store before you buy it. If it's stiff, it can get warranty work, and only takes about a week, but I dont' personally like sending by new guns away.

$.02

I own both and agree 110%
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

If you can try them both before you buy. I own a 2nd generation P3AT and it has been faultless since shot one.. If you want ultra concealment the P3AT is your best choice. They disappear in your pocket or IWB. Mine weights 11 5/8 ounces loaded. If you need better sights the Bersa has them. I don't know about Bersa's customer service, but Kel Tec's is truely superior to almost all others.
    My cool weather carry piece is a CZ PCR in 9mm, easy to hide with heavier cloths and I prefer it's cal. The P3AT can be worn with about ANYTHING, and is simply a ghost to carry. Just my .02 cents.

Be safe.

I like the bersa but at times I wish it was as small as the Ket-Tec. But, after looking at some tests it seems a lot of ammo needs the longer barrel like the Bersa has in order for it to expand. I don't know if this matters in a human though.

As most have stated here, it depends on what degree of CC you are desiring. P3AT is a great pocket gun, I carry mine in my front with a DeSanti holster. Wife had a Thunder 380 which she carried in her purse, also a great gun but a bit bigger than a P3AT. Shot placement is key but also ammo selection is important as well. DPX is all I carry
    “Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.” Thomas Paine

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for an enemy who is not, will be victorious". Sun Tzu

Assistant Administrator
    I have been 'responsible' for aquisition of three Bersa's - mine (now wife's!), another a present for step daughter and - lastly, one for wife of some friends.

If the size and weight can be accomodated then for me no choice. But if small and light then KT has to choice then. This essentially separates the two for decision-making and while I hear plenty of good about G2 KT's - I never liked my G1 and it is history!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Can't speak for the bersa but my p3at has been perfect and its my everywhere gun.Its just a part of getting dressed,it goes in my front right pocket.Its always there.sj

Looks like I'm in the minority here, but I vote for the Kel-Tec. In my experience the Kel-Tec's have been more reliable. I've owned a Bersa 380, and an Ultra Carry 45. Both were very nice, but had malfunctions every now and then. In contrast I've owned 3 Kel-Tec firearms, P11, P32 and Sub 2000. The P11 was downright unreliable. The P32 and S2K have been flawless. No fluff or buff needed. Also as the others have said, the Kel-Tec is extremely easy to conceal.
    \"What you\'ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling incoherent response where you even close to expressing anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. May God have mercy on your soul.\" My adoring wife, at least once a day.

No experience with the Ke-Tec but my wife does have a Bersa and it is a fine gun.

Shoots to POA at 7 yards, easy on the recoil, slim and not so heavy. She really likes it. So do I.

For what you pay it is a tremendous value.

my "bug" is the kel-tec. both guns are great, but the kel-tec is smaller. with the belt clip it is a win win. you can not go wrong with the either, i just like the kel-tec because of it size.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links