Px4 Storm vs Sig P226

Px4 Storm vs Sig P226

This is a discussion on Px4 Storm vs Sig P226 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi, I'm a fairly new shooter, currently training with revolvers. Now looking for my first autoloader. At this point, I don't feel comfortable with the ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pogo2
  • 1 Post By C hawk Glock

Thread: Px4 Storm vs Sig P226

Px4 Storm vs Sig P226

Hi,

I'm a fairly new shooter, currently training with revolvers.

Now looking for my first autoloader. At this point, I don't feel comfortable with the light trigger of most striker fired pistols. I thinking of either a DAO or DA/SA, and I've got it narrowed down to the Baretta Px4 Storm vs Sig P226 for home defense. How would you compare these two guns?

Any other pistols in this category I should be considering?

Re: Px4 Storm vs Sig P226

Shoot them. If you can't do that, at least handle them both.

I have shot both, and as much as I wanted to like the Beretta, I hated it. Others swear by them.

Personally a huge fan of the Walther PPQ. 3,000 plus rounds. Zero malfunctions.

Keep it in a holster and your finger off the trigger and it won't discharge.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

The PX4 is about six ounces lighter. Polymer frame as opposed to alloy. The PX4 is less expensive, to boot. Fine guns both. I own a PX4 and am happy with it.
    "Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." ~ Mark Twain

I rented both. I don't like the safety on the px4. Also dont like the slide release on the 226. The sig has swappable grip panels and more sight options, but that wouldn't matter if youre happy with stock. Both shoot great. Go with either.

Sig P226

By way of disclosure, I own 6 Sigs and no Berettas. I own the P226 and have handled and fired the Beretta PX4.

I would personally go with the P226 because I think it is a higher quality gun that will work more reliably. The weight advantage of the polymer Beretta over the metal Sig doesn't matter in home defense, only in carry. Here is my P226, which I bought 15 years ago:

miller_man likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array miller_man's Avatar
    The best thing to do is get your hands on both, and even better is to shoot them both - although that one can be tough.

Haven't shot or even handled either, but if it was between the two I'd be leaning toward the sig. Just my 0.02.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

You are comparing apples to oranges with these two weapons. Polymer vs Metal.

I am a big fan of Sig (Own a P229 & a P6). Never been a big fan of Baretta.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Biased lefty here.

Prefer the PX4. It fires when I pull the trigger, every time. It hits what I aim at. Conceals well. Haven't had an FT anything in over 500 rounds.

Sig seems to be biased against lefties. Have never found one I could operate comfortably.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

I don't have the Sig experience to make the comparison but I do give high marks to the Beretta PX4 Storm. I've owned a 92FS for over 15 years and have always liked that gun but I picked up a full size PX4 in March of this year and I like that one even better. For me it just works. The ergonomics are good for me, I have yet to experience anything short of flawless reliability with it, it's comfortable to shoot and I can hit targets with it. There is much to like about the Beretta.

I have a couple of Sigs, but not a 226. Of those two choices, I would save for the Sig. The ergonomics of the Sig is better for me. Having said that, you have to make sure that the gun fits you. Good luck with your search.

You really need go get your hands on both pistols and shoot them before you make a decision. Both pistols in question are built by world class arms manufacturers. I own several Sigs including the P226 and they are excellent, well built pistols. The P226 would make a great home defense weapon since it is 1) very reliable, 2) high capacity (15round mags), 3) and generally comes with excellent Sig night sights. My only reservation is the grip size. If you have small hands you may have a difficult time reaching the trigger on the first double action pull. On single action the trigger moves back and is much easier to reach. I can't personally speak to the Beretta since I've never owned one.....or shot one. Find a local range and shoot both.....I'm sure you will have a clear winner after that....

I'm going to have to jump on the Beretta band wagon too. I have a full size PX4 9mm. I use it in IDPA, USPSA competition, general range use and of course HD. I really don't keep round counts after a while but it has a minimum of 3,000 rounds through it now with zero problems of any kind. Regular mag capacity is 17 rounds and Beretta sells 20 round mags. I bought 2 of the 20 rounders recently...very cool!
    The first DA trigger pull is very smooth and light. The subsequent SA trigger is light and smooth. I will say the reset in SA is not as crisp as I woud like but it is there and is fairly short. Take down and maintenance is really simple. The feel of the Beretta is fantastic for me. That was the original biggest selling point for me.

I do agree with the idea that maybe you care comparing apples and oranges with these 2 guns. I do not own the Sig in question. The Sig, pictured above, is truly a nice looking pistol and I'm sure it's a fine quality gun. Get your hands on both and shoot them.

Edit: forgot. Beretta does have a "C" model without the safety/decocker that is DAO.

My opinion? Absolutely no comparison.

Make no mistake, Berettas are good guns. Have owned several. Smooth and reliable. I really can't say anything bad about them.

But I can't say enough about a SIG. As reliable as it gets, outstanding trigger, stellar ergos, and absolutely superb accuracy. A 226 is like a good Smith revolver: a guy owes it to himself to own at least one at some point. A 226 isn't a small gun, and takes a bit more to hide it. It will be heavier than the Beretta as well. But I carry my 220 Elite all the time. Not a big deal. Folks say that other guns are easier to carry, and they are right. But I carry a gun that is as perfect as I can get. Some days it's a Glock.

Usually, it's a SIG.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by multistage View Post
    My opinion? Absolutely no comparison.

Make no mistake, Berettas are good guns. Have owned several. Smooth and reliable. I really can't say anything bad about them.

But I can't say enough about a SIG. As reliable as it gets, outstanding trigger, stellar ergos, and absolutely superb accuracy. A 226 is like a good Smith revolver: a guy owes it to himself to own at least one at some point. A 226 isn't a small gun, and takes a bit more to hide it. It will be heavier than the Beretta as well. But I carry my 220 Elite all the time. Not a big deal. Folks say that other guns are easier to carry, and they are right. But I carry a gun that is as perfect as I can get. Some days it's a Glock.

Usually, it's a SIG.
    I am with you. Is this even a fair contest? I am partial to ELITES, but even a standard Sig P226 is a great firearm. I always say "If it's good enough for the Navy Seals, It's good enough for me".
    multistage likes this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Sponsored Links