Added a few guns to the collection

This is a discussion on Added a few guns to the collection within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; These where given to me by my grandfather first is an 88 Mauser infantry rifle he brought back from ww2 the second is a gun ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Added a few guns to the collection

Added a few guns to the collection

These where given to me by my grandfather first is an 88 Mauser infantry rifle he brought back from ww2 the second is a gun he had built in the 50s chambered in 250-3000 savage necked to 22 so a 22-250, sits on a 98 Mauser action with a hand cut stock and old fecker scope, not sure what there worth but the varmint gun is a blast to shoot!
    Attached Images

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Nice additions, the scope on the 98 is a real classic.
    Jgriner likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

NMB
    Ive never seen a scope like that, anyone know more about it?

Heirlooms are priceless, nice rifles.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Nice piece of wood on the varmint gun... and check out the "teaspoon" bolt handle on the Mauser!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It's a j.w fecker 18x from that iv red it's a real top quality scope same style used by marine snipers in ww2 and no longer in production also saw its quite valuable
    Jgriner, NMB and msgt/ret like this.

mkh
    Awesome looking guns. I'm not to sure about that scope though. I know its a classic but it looks like it would be rather hard to use.

Thanks there truly beautiful I'm looking forward to passing them to my children one day
    Jgriner likes this.

Unique firearms and an important family gift.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Great stuff there! Both of them.

That Gewehr 88 Commission rifle is nice. They now command some respect in the collectors' market after being somewhat of a redheaded stepchild for some years, overshadowed by the innovative 98 Mauser. The original bore diameter was slightly smaller at .318 (the "J" bore) than the diameter standardized later which was .323 (the "JS" bore). Neither the action nor the steels used in the rifle are said to be quite up to modern 8mm as loaded in Europe or as was provided to the German Wehrmacht during World War II.

Some 88 Commission rifles were reworked and feature .323 bores but one needs to know the variants and markings or else slug the bore to determine diameter. The "Remingchester" loadings here in the U.S. are very mild out of consideration of its possible use in the really old German 8mm arms, loaded to take into consideration the design and age of the rifles and their slightly tight bore. Thought factory loads have .323 diameter bullets they are loaded so mildly that firing them in the tight bore causes no harm. Such factory loads are the best bet use in these rifles for shooting. American 8mm ammunition mimics .30-40 in performance. European ammunition mimics .30-06 in performance. A friend once wanted to chronograph his WWII era 98 Mauser and was using Remington 170 grain jacketed soft point factory loads. This load tested to yield about 2250 fps from his rifle. He later got some Norma ammunition as well which featured a 196 grain bullet. This was a horse of a load which gave nearly 2700 fps! That would be the kind of ammunition to keep away from an 88 Commission rifle.

That Mauser sporter looks just the thing for 1950s varminting and isn't far off of the configuration of the style of rifles originally used for bench rest competition in the 1940s. J.E. Gebby popularized the .22 Varminter, which was his name for the .250-3000 necked to .224, in the 1930s and it was a perennial favorite among early benchresters and wildcatters until Remington standardized it in 1965. A smooth move on Remington's part, the .22-250 squashed both the .220 Swift and the newly introduced .225 Winchester almost immediately when it hit the market. Most custom chambers were made to the Gebby specs. which Remington apparently adopted without modification. My dad has a pre-war Winchester Model 70 Supergrade that was originally a .30-06 but was rebarreled by J.E. Gebby himself into a .22 Varminter and so marked. Factory .22-250 works perfectly as do handloads. My dad obtained the rifle from its original owner who had Gebby do the work.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The 98 from what I was told is just the action the barrel was a blank order from Ohio and milled then mounted in the 98 action I'm not 100% I do know there are no s marked on the 88 it's the original cal barrel

Very cool, I love the historical guns. And that your grandfather brought one back and had the other made is awesome. You're going to shoot em right?!?!?!?!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Iv shot the varmint rifle loves my 22-250 hand loads, I have to find ammo for the 88

VIP Member
    Your Grandpa had his poop together.
    Nice stuff, glad you'll be able to enjoy them and then pass them.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Thank you

Senior Moderator
    very nice rifles
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links