Anyone shoot a PPK .380? - Page 2

Anyone shoot a PPK .380?

This is a discussion on Anyone shoot a PPK .380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Interesting about a couple guys saying they have had FTF and FTE. In all of my years shooting this thing with various ammos, I have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone shoot a PPK .380?

Interesting about a couple guys saying they have had FTF and FTE. In all of my years shooting this thing with various ammos, I have never had any malfunctions whatsoever.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

+1

Have had mine about 15 years or so. A bit heavier (and larger) than what is available these days, but a very nice & reliable too.

I had one in the early 70s.Was the smallest carry gun available back then. (I was 5-7 and 129#).
    Very reliable, and more than accurate enough. Remember, the pocket pistols are most likely to be deployed at bad breath distances. Accuracy is a moot point compared to thefit to your hand for rapid deployment.
    The gun has many safety features, including a 12# trigger. If you shoot some with it, it is designed to be not by accident. Mine had a loaded chamber indicator. Meant to be carried with a round chambered hammer down, and use the double action if the BG was that close.
    Actual design was for plain clothes police and couriers.

The gun benefits from some new trigger springs if thats your goal. Mine had some from the previous owner.

Besides, if its good enough for James Bond.......

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    At one time I had two PPK/S pistols. US made and West German made. I still I have the PPK/S made in West Germany by Walther. Beautiful little gun. Fit and finish are fantastic. It's not as fun toshoot as the US made version that has the extended grip and can bite a bit. But it's accurate and reliable. It was my first carry gun.

That said, my P238 is a much more desirable carry gun. Much better sights, way less recoil, smaller, and lighter.

Fitch
    Philly Boy likes this.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

As I've said on a previous thread, I hated my PPK/S with the "web" bite and got rid of it. My P238 is a keeper and fun to shoot/carry.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

I still carry a PPK/s walther when dressing up like a wedding or something. But I like my guns on the heavier side. When I first got the Walther I experienced some stovepipes, and FTF failures. I had the feed ramp polished, and it's been fine since.

I shot my PPK/S tonight with Magtech Lead nosed rounds. First two, FTF. The next 75 were fine. This gun just got put on the safe queen list and possibly will be for sale. It wouldn't feed Remmington this summer and I just don't trust it. Not to mention, my shooting it was horrid. Could barely hit the paper. The LCP was grouping very, very nicely as was the Glock 27. Good bye Walther. You're a beauty but not reliable.

JIm

Quote Originally Posted by violinjim View Post
    I shot my PPK/S tonight with Magtech Lead nosed rounds. First two, FTF. The next 75 were fine. This gun just got put on the safe queen list and possibly will be for sale. It wouldn't feed Remmington this summer and I just don't trust it. Not to mention, my shooting it was horrid. Could barely hit the paper. The LCP was grouping very, very nicely as was the Glock 27. Good bye Walther. You're a beauty but not reliable.

JIm
    You're giving up on a quality pistol because of 2 FTF's with crap ammo??? LRN ammo has no business in a small semi-auto, and Magtech ain't exactly high-end.

Most .380's are going to have an ammunition preference, and it's usually not going to be the cheap stuff. The only .380's I've ever seen that were 100% with any ammo are a Sig P232 and a Beretta M84.

Regards,
    Jim
    docdozer likes this.

I've shot one a bit - a PPK/S. Not a fan of them, personally. They are small - but easy enough to grip. But it's only a .380. Slide bite was a problem for me. Also the general cluttered feel of it bothered me - the gun seems too small for a safety on the slide. That's my opinion!

Austin

If it is good enough for James Bond, then it should be one to consider....
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Not two, but like every time I shoot with it, ( 4 times this summer, and the last time I took it to the range) with all brands of ammo. Never had another gun do this. And now that I'm shooting a Glock 27 that packs way more punch and more rounds, the PPK can rest until I find a round that never fails...

Jim

I loved mine. Wish I never sold it. Recoil was soft and it was darned accurate! I could make a can dance at more than 25 yards. I am sure I will be getting another. Best little .380 ever!

I own three walther ppk's two are ppk's and the german one is ppk/s. I see that some guy do not like the S&W guns, i have no idea why. The interarms german gun is a jammer, the Interarms american ppk 32 never jammed ever, and the S&W ppk feels the best, feeds the best and shoots excellent. I was put off by the S&W long tang when I first saw it, until I handled the gun and shot it, it was great. No slide bite anymore and the feed ramp is excellent. When I see negative reports on the S&W version I have to ask did these guys ever shoot or own one or is it that it's just talk that they heard, because I love the smith version the best. I prefer the ppk over the s model have been carrying these guns forever. Back in the eighties I owned a manurhin ppks 380 and like a fool I traded it for this german one and never could get this gun not to jam. Go buy the S&W gun they are real nice and they work.

I have my grandfathers original ppks and I love it however it is a jammer once it warms up. I don't think i have ever gotten 4 clean mags through it. It's a beautiful gun but it is definitely not a duty weapon.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    A terrible gun for CCW, but cool to impress James Bond fans.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links