Anyone shoot a PPK .380?

This is a discussion on Anyone shoot a PPK .380? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to the lgs yesterday to browse and BS and to daydream. They had a couple of PPK's in display. I had never thought ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Anyone shoot a PPK .380?

Anyone shoot a PPK .380?

I went to the lgs yesterday to browse and BS and to daydream. They had a couple of PPK's in display. I had never thought about having a PPK before and I had never really paid any attention to them, but the salesman handed me one and asked what I though.
    The gun felt real good in my hand. I liked it. For whatever reason, the older I get, the more I like shooting 9mm and .380's, so this gun has some appeal to me. I just don't know anything about it.

Has anyone had any experience with this gun? I would like to hear your opinions.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I owned and shot a PPK a long time ago so I don't remember too much about it. I remember liking its size and how it felt in my hand. From what I recall, recoil wasn't too bad but I can't remember it's accuracy. My suggestion is to test fire one if you can. Each person is different so it's really up to you and your personal preferences.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I had a .380 PPK way back about 20 years ago. Nice enough gun, but it would bite me (slide on knuckle of thumb) when shooting. I have a little Keltec 3AT now and do not have the same problem.
    "Lets Be Careful Out There!"

Ron

I had one in the '70's (PPK/s actually). Great little gun, but I sold it. At the time, it was a lot of money for me to have tied up in a gun. Dunno much about the newer Smith & Wesson version.

My favorite .380 now is a Sig P232. A tad bigger and a little pricier than a PPK, but IMHO it's the nicest .380 out there, period. You wouldn't be unhappy with the PPK, but might want to check out a P232 before you buy.

Regards,
    Jim

I've never shot one but the ones I have handled in the LGS had horrible triggers that I thought were broken, until the salesguy said that is how they are.

I'm sure glockman10mm will chime in about his sooner than later.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

I would rather have the bersa version. half the price and feels and works the same. Not as pretty, if that matters
    BurgerBoy likes this.

I have a PPK/s. Bought it back in the '80s, and have kept it ever since. I find it very accurate, eats most anything I feed it, and because it is a little heavier than some of the "newer" 380s out there, I find it very controllable.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

VIP Member
    I have the S&W PPKs. Love it! Shoots great the "s" is just a bit larger then the PPK. It is an all metal pistol. A bit heavy compaired to my LC9.
    I got it about a year ago when we got conceal carry here in WI. I have no issues with the Smith and Wesson version. I hand load and use 90gr sierra bullets with"bullseye" powder. I have an ankle holster, IWB and the Galco executive shoulder. the shoulder carry is great, I don't use the ankle carry because of the weight of the pistol. I would rather ankle carry something like the S&W 638 airweight.

VIP Member
    I have had PPK/S and PPK 's both of Walther/S&W make. Fun range guns, good feel, and accurate, very accurate. Not reliable enough for CCW though, but fun on the range.

I have an InterArms PPK/S from the 80's and it's a decent little gun. I agree with you about the fit and your hand. It just feels good. Yes, it's doesn't eat all types of ammo (mine doesn't like Remmington Ball), the DA trigger is very heavy and hard to pull. The SA trigger is nice. Take down is easy. The snake bite happens.

Mine's become a safe queen, though. The LCP is more reliable, carries the same # of rounds, a bit harder to shoot accurately but a very easy BUG to my new GLock 27. I won't sell mine, though. Too pretty.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by rammerjammer View Post
    I've never shot one but the ones I have handled in the LGS had horrible triggers that I thought were broken, until the salesguy said that is how they are.

I'm sure glockman10mm will chime in about his sooner than later.
    You know me too well!
    OP, I really like them. Well built, and accurate. A little heavy for the caliber and capacity, but slim and easy to carry. Id rather have one of these than these micro 9mm everybody is nuts about.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Interarms PPK .380

I've owned the Interarms version of the PPK for about 15 years. It is a nice little gun that is very slender and concealable. I have carried it a few times when I wanted something very small. The DA trigger is rather heavy - feels like 12 pounds or so - while the SA trigger is excellent. The gun is accurate for a small gun. Here is a picture of it next to a Sig P238 in the same .380 caliber.

Fitch likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I love my PPK. I just hate carrying it. The slide bite is annoying, but not a deal breaker for a SD pistol. I just dont see carrying it when there are plenty of 9's that are smaller, lighter, and more potent. I have an older Interarms model (I run away from the S&W version) that is built extremely well. It's pretty reliable, but will still FTE once in a while. I love it, but not as a carry pistol.

I prefer the PPK to the PPK/s. It's really personal preference, but the PPK has the shorter grip that wraps around the backstrap. There arent many pistols that look this nice, especially with a set of wood grips.

Hulley and Alex_C like this.

Distinguished Member Array grouse's Avatar
    Never owned one always wanted one.

Saw "Skyfall" twice...now I really really want one.....

Love it obviously. PPK or P238 most frequent carry. Steel just feels better than polymer.
    docdozer likes this.
    In principle, principle and practice are the same, but in practice, they're not.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links