New FNH FNS 9mm - Good Shooter, Good Value :)

This is a discussion on New FNH FNS 9mm - Good Shooter, Good Value :) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had been looking for a high-cap 9mm for a while and had been leaning toward the G17 or G19. I was at the LGS ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ksholder

Thread: New FNH FNS 9mm - Good Shooter, Good Value :)

VIP Member

New FNH FNS 9mm - Good Shooter, Good Value :)

I had been looking for a high-cap 9mm for a while and had been leaning toward the G17 or G19. I was at the LGS yesterday and they just got in a shipment of FNH FNS 9mms with night sights and 3 mags that had a $50 rebate. The base price was just a little less than the Glocks without night sights, so the differential ended up being about $180 if they had been outfitted the same (Rebate + Night Sights + Extra Mag).

I got it to the range today and ran about 300 rounds of reloads and a mixture of Federal & Golden Sabre +p & non-+p through it. If did not hiccup at all. Everything worked as it should and the dang thing is just plain accurate as well.

The picture below is 2 6" targets. The one on the right was 18 rounds shot in about 30 seconds - not fast, but not real slow either. The left target was 18 rounds shot in about 8 seconds - 1 was off the black, but the others are all in the 6" circle. The targets were 10 yards from me when I was shooting.

The gun is nice to shoot, certainly qualifies for high-cap with 17+1, has little felt recoil and comes back on target quickly. As an additional bonus, the FNS fits nicely in my G21 holsters like they were made for it. I will probably get a holster made for it, but for now, I can carry it without having to immediately get a holster. I am pleased with my purchase and I have the model with the thumb safety.

FNS Target.jpg

ETA - the target on the left was the top target when I was shooting.
    MikeyIdaho and WC145 like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for the report... nice shooting too...
    Doug;}
    RSO, WA. XDMc 9mm, S&W 642CT & 442 38 sp, 1947 Savage 99 300,
    1972 Marlin 336 RC .35, 1922 Walther Model 4, 1933 Walther DSM 34, High Standard 1954 22LR

I prefer to be judged by 12 then carried by 6

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook74 View Post
    Thanks for the report... nice shooting too...
    Thanks. It really is the gun - either this gun is more accurate than many (not all) I have or I just shoot it better, but I was grouping a good bit smaller today with the FNS than I was with my G22 with a 9mm barrel or my Shield under the same conditions. I took them along as control guns to see how the FNS shot relative to them.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

I looked them up online and the FNS series seems like a nice option. Glad to hear she's working well for you.

VIP Member
    Nothing wrong with FN pistols they are good and great value, but they are still a poor man's Sig Sauer.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

KS, are you, per chance, left handed?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    KS, are you, per chance, left handed?
    Nope. Right handed. These were shot with a two-handed grip. Remember, the picture above is 90* from where it was as shot. The left side was the top when shot. Just curious what you saw that caused you to ask.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    Nothing wrong with FN pistols they are good and great value, but they are still a poor man's Sig Sauer.

^^^^^^^You mean a "smart mans Sig"^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From what I've ever read, they shoot as well if not better, cost 1/2 the price, and are built as good if not better.
    I would buy one, and was seriously considering one, but I just wanted something a bit smaller for CC, and FN doesn't make these damn things in a shorter barrel, & slightly smaller capacity.
    If I ever need another house gun, it would be this in a heartbeat.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

ksholder, thanks for the review. I've been interested in the FNS since I read about them in the May '12 issue of Shooting Illustrated. I don't know anyone that has one, but almost everyone that reviews them reports that accuracy is excellent.

It sounds like FN got it right the first time with their intro to the striker-fired market.

I've got one that has had the slide modified to accommodate a mini red dot, it has a Trijicon RMR02 on it. Great gun, 100% reliable, plenty accurate, and very little felt recoil/muzzle jump. Nice guns and a good value.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Links