Sig m11-a1

This is a discussion on Sig m11-a1 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I came across one at my local GS yesterday, after spending about ten minutes of fondling I decided I had to have it........ can anyone ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Sig m11-a1

Sig m11-a1

I came across one at my local GS yesterday, after spending about ten minutes of fondling I decided I had to have it........ can anyone give some feedback on it. Good, bad, ugly lol

I'm looking forward to Monday, it's my pickup day.

Drgnfly likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

I personally like them, but then I'm a Sigaholic. However, some will tell you straight up that it's not a "real" M11 (military nomenclature for the P228). This is not meant to demean your purchase at all, but I think a lot of folks buy the M11A1 thinking they are getting a P228. Sig describes it as a P229 (descriptions for the dealers), but markets it with P228 grips.

Whatever Sig calls it, you've bought yourself a fine pistol that will give you years of excellent service. If you have a chance, I'd love to see a photo of the right side of weapon, it would be nice to know what extractor Sig is putting on this particular model. From what I've seen, I tihnk the frame is a P229 frame, the slide is definitely a stainless milled slide, not the folded carbon steel slide of the original P228. If I'm not mistaken, your A1 should have phosphate coated internals and from the photo, it appears you have have the short reset trigger--those with smaller hands find it more comfortable with that shorter "reach" trigger than the regular trigger.

Either way, I'm thinking the pistol looks great and if I hadn't blown the budget stocking up on ammo and buying Jeep parts, I wouldn't mind having one of these weapons at all for myself! I think you'll enjoy it quite a bit.

After you get it, post some pictures of your target, I think you'll enjoy how accurate it should prove to be! Yes, I'm biased toward Sigs, over the past year, I had gotten away from carrying a Sig daily, had gone to carrying a CZ2075 RAMI BD. But lately, the Sigs have been calling and I've gone back to carrying either a P228 or a P229 in 357Sig.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

My LGS has one waiting for me right now. I will pick it up on my next R&R. It will be a great addition to my Sig collection. One of my Sig is the P226 MK25. It is a great shooting weapon and very accurate. You made a good choice there.

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

VIP Member
    Here is mine from last week!

sig M11-A1.jpg

Mine is too new for the bad! The good, comes with 3 mags, Sig nights sites are the best!

mkh
    JayHawker45 is pretty much right on.

Since the mag holds 15 rounds my guess would be that it is the newer style 229 frame which leaves open the possibility of a .40 or .357 version in the future as it is a .40 frame.

I checked the Sig website and even the pictures there don't show the extracted side of the gun. I'm curious but I have Sigs with oth the long and the short extractor and don't really have a preference as I haven't had a problem with either.

4 Sigs and counting....

I did a bit of reading on another forum and there was allot of negative comments, such as "this gun is a 228 knockoff" It seems as if the general feeling was that SIG has misrepresented it by putting 228 on the grip ..... I'm no gun pro, just a guy who enjoys shooting, and I do like this one so I'm still looking forward to picking it up ...... it's nice to hear there are a few who don't have a hate for the gun based on what the grips say.
    Heres a pic of the other side.

Eric357 and glockcoma like this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4

NRA Life Member

Hardball, I wouldn't worry about what other people think about the weapon...I would just hate to see someone buy the M11A1 thinking they were getting something akin to the issue M11 which is basically a P228. I own 13 Sig pistols, and while not one of them is what I would call collectable, they are all Classic P-series and I own them because of a) the classic P-series lines and b) each of them has performed well for me without any serious issues mechanically. I have experienced the sideways glances as I shoot and carry a P228 that was one of the last runs with the original folded carbon steel slide, but it was mated to (GASP!) a P229 SAS frame! Oh, the HORROR of it all!

Looking at your photo, of the extractor side, basically what you have is a P229 branded with P228 grips. You have the stainless milled slide, with the external long extractor found on 229s, you have a 229 frame (which is "beefier" than that of the 228, as the 229 was designed around .40S&W and 357Sig). You can see the difference in slides, yours being the milled stainless and mine being the folded carbon steel. Also, when you tear it down for your first cleaning, take notice of the internals, according to the specs, you should have phosphate coated internals--they'll have a greenish tint. From looking at your first photo, I do in fact think that's the case, your decocker has a decided greenish tint versus the finish of the rest of the pistol, as does your magazine release. Phosphate coated internals protect better from crappy atmospheric conditions than the usual coatings Sig uses.

One thing I'm curious about, the specs say it comes with the Short Reset Trigger, that could mean one of two things. First, the short reset trigger is also known as a short reach trigger, it's basically "milled down" to shorten the reach for those with smaller hands. There are no internal mods associated with this trigger it's just a "shorter trigger." From your photos, you definitely have the thinner trigger.

It could also refer to the internal modifications that actually shorten the reset of the trigger mechanism that allows for a much faster follow up shot. You can check out if this is the case by doing the following:

First, make sure the weapon is not loaded.

Second, rack the slide, then pull the trigger. After the hammer falls, do not release the trigger and rack the slide again. Then slowly release the trigger to feel the reset point (it will feel like a definite click and will have an audible click associated with it). A pistol with the SRT components will have a trigger travel of only a few millimeters before you encounter trigger reset--it will almost reach reset seemingly as soon as you begin releasing the trigger preparing for the follow up shot. A pistol not having the mod will have a much longer travel before you hit reset.

Not by any stretch of the imagination do you have a subpar pistol. You have a solid, well proven design that will provide years of service, both on the range and as an every day carry weapon.

Having said that, since it is NOT a P228 and it is liable to resent being labeled as such, I'll take that horrible piece of machinery off your hands before it goes all "Christine" on your butt!!!

Seriously, shoot it, enjoy it and have fun on the range with it!

You can see the differences in my P228s, the top is a plain P228 (though not a triple serial number 228 and therefore subpar in quite a few eyes!). You can see the sharper edges and the thicker trigger.

The bottom P228 is a release Sig did with the original folded carbon steel slide and the P229 SAS (Sig Anti Snag) frame...you can see the "melted" edges typical of SAS frames. You can also see the short reset trigger or short reach trigger, it is much "thinner" than the typical trigger.

Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.

I played with a M11 in the LGS last month on R&R. It does in fact have the Short Reset Trigger.

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

USMC Shooting Team
    Distinguished Pistol Shot Badge - 1986
    Texas CHL since 1996.

Quote Originally Posted by SgtRick View Post
    I played with a M11 in the LGS last month on R&R. It does in fact have the Short Reset Trigger.
    That's awesome to know then. I'm glad that Sig saw fit to include this as a component of this release! The SRT drastically reduces my follow up shot times.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post

Having said that, since it is NOT a P228 and it is liable to resent being labeled as such, I'll take that horrible piece of machinery off your hands before it goes all "Christine" on your butt!!!
    Haha Thanks for the info JayHawker45 I'll do my best to keep it in line lol
    .... I appreciate you sharing your knowledge of the gun. The grips on yours are beautiful.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4

NRA Life Member

Please don't tell me you paid $900 for that...

Don't get me wrong...I love my SIGs...but not for $900
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Please don't tell me you paid $900 for that...

Don't get me wrong...I love my SIGs...but not for $900
    Yes sir, that is/was the marked price. The pics were not intended to boast of a bargain price, I take a pic like that of every gun I buy, I can only assume you feel the post was in bad taste.
    Let me ask you this, when you say "Don't get me wrong" how did you intend your comment to be received?
    glockcoma likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4

NRA Life Member

Sig m11-a1

SIGs are great guns...but I think they are marked up way too high.

That said, if the market supports that price, then I guess it's priced accordingly.

I know I wouldn't pay that much...a used gun shoots just as well...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

glockcoma likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    Hardball,

Don't let the negative posts get you to not enjoy your sig. Who honestly cares if it's not a P228? I see them around here used for 500-600 all day long. It's not like they are the golden gems of Sig Sauer. I would rather have your rig with an SRT over a standard P228 any day of the week. Purists will say the difference between the carbon steel in the old slides compared to the newer milled slides. I own several Sigs and have never seen either slide fail. There is a reason why P228 have become more rare it's called the P229. Enjoy your fine Sig, I am sure she is very accurate and a sweet shooter.
    HardBall, Eric357 and glockcoma like this.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links