How can I convert a .40 S&W to 9mm?

This is a discussion on How can I convert a .40 S&W to 9mm? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hey guys happy Friday to ya' I'm wondering what I need to convert my Smith & Wesson M&P 40c to 9mm? I'm fine with the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: How can I convert a .40 S&W to 9mm?

Hey guys happy Friday to ya' I'm wondering what I need to convert my Smith & Wesson M&P 40c to 9mm? I'm fine with the .40 but I was interested in converting to 9mm for practice at the range since 9mm is a little cheaper for the ammo.

Thanks,
    Chris-gNg

buy a 9mm conversion barrel from a manufacturer like Storm Lake and 9mm magazines for the M&P 9C and you should be set.

StormLake | Build Your Barrel
    oneshot likes this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    buy a 9mm conversion barrel from a manufacturer like Storm Lake and 9mm magazines for the M&P 9C and you should be set.

^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^ Or Learn to reload ; )

H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

How boxes of ammo will it take to make a new barrel and mags worth converting?
    Never challenge an old man, because if you lose, you’ve lost to an old man, and if you win, so what?

You'll need new magazines as well. If you do the math you'll probably realize it isn't a good way to spend money - but if you want it, then it is...

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    What zonker1986 said.

I did exactly that with my full-sized M&P. You can also buy a .357 sig barrel and use your .40 S&W mags. (My full-sized mags are stamped .40 S&W/357 Auto). 3 calibers in 1 gun.
    guitarzNgunz and blitzburgh like this.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    You'll need new magazines as well. If you do the math you'll probably realize it isn't a good way to spend money - but if you want it, then it is...

Austin
    +1 to this. $160 for barrel, $90 for magazines (assuming 3 at $30 each)=$250 + tax/shipping. YMMV, but I'd either suck it up and pay for .40S&W ammo, or more likely, I'd buy the M&P 9 to keep the 40 company. The more the merrier, right?

save a bit more and just buy a 9mm handgun

Midway has the S&W stock 9mm barrel for $70. I have one on my .40 and it works great. When I go to the range I shoot 100 .22lr. - 80 9mm - 40 .40cal through my M&P's. The main reason I got the 9mm barrel was for more diversity in a SHTF situation. I would be a same to have a 40cal pistol and only 9mm ammo available. Buy the S&W barrel, you won't regreat it.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 02R1 View Post
    save a bit more and just buy a 9mm handgun
    One of the great things about the M&P platform is how cheap and easy a barrel conversion is. Why buy a 9mm when for $100 more you can get a pistol that shoots 9mm and .40cal. I have two M&P .40 cal's with a 9mm barrel. I'm on a wait list for a .40 Shield and already have a 9mm barrel and mags for it.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hogdaddy View Post
    ^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^ Or Learn to reload ; )

H/D
    Yes I'm working on getting reloading equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Luckey1115 View Post
    How boxes of ammo will it take to make a new barrel and mags worth converting?
    Well I shoot ALOT! So it would be worth it after less than a year, and not only that I forgot to mention my wife is getting into shooting lately as well she's taking her CPL class tomorrow and my 40 is a bit to much for her. So converting to 9mm would be more enjoyable for her at the range too.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaMaria View Post
    I'd buy the M&P 9 to keep the 40 company. The more the merrier, right?
    I'm on the waiting list for the M&P Shield in 9mm but it's a LOOOOOONNNNNG list.

You can buy a "conversion barrel" and 9mm magazines if you like but as stated you can shoot 9mm through your .40c by just buying a 9mm factory barrel. It is not necessary to buy a special "conversion barrel" or special 9mm magazines, it will work fine with just the factory 9mm barrel. I have put over 3k 9mm through my .40c using only a factory barrel without any issues. Good luck
    guitarzNgunz likes this.
    A Wise Man Changes His Mind, but a Fool Never Does

Quote Originally Posted by popo22 View Post
    You can buy a "conversion barrel" and 9mm magazines if you like but as stated you can shoot 9mm through your .40c by just buying a 9mm factory barrel. It is not necessary to buy a special "conversion barrel" or special 9mm magazines, it will work fine with just the factory 9mm barrel. I have put over 3k 9mm through my .40c using only a factory barrel without any issues. Good luck
    It's good to know that the factory 9mm barrel works. I bought the conversion barrel because I was told that the outside diameter of the 9mm factory barrel is smaller than the OD of the .40/357s barrels, so the factory 9mm barrel would be a loose fit in the barrel opening of the .40/357s slide. If you have a micrometer and can measure both, I would like to know if they are the same. If they are, I may add a factory S&W 9mm barrel to my Christmas list; I don't really care for the finish on my Storm Lake conversion barrel.

Thanks to popo22 and GetSmith for the great info.
    guitarzNgunz likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links