Glocks vs. 1911s... and the winner is...

This is a discussion on Glocks vs. 1911s... and the winner is... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been to a couple of classes - one for snubbys and one for general handguns where all guns were auto-loaders. I don't recall ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Glocks vs. 1911s... and the winner is...

VIP Member
    I have been to a couple of classes - one for snubbys and one for general handguns where all guns were auto-loaders. I don't recall anything failing in the snubby class - except for a few hands that blistered up. In the other class, I only recall two guns failing, a Sig 238 and a Taurus PT145 Pro.

IN this class we went through a couple thousand rounds in a weekend. The Sig had all manner of failures and the gal who brought it moved to a loaner 9mm to finish the class. The Taurus was mine and I took it to see if I could break it. Its failure was light primer strikes on S&B ammo. It would fire Federal and WWB all day long, but choked on the S&B. I had my Glock 21 as a backup and it ate the S&B without issue.

The Taurus also had a mag failure due to dirt in the mag. Nobody else had this issue. That Taurus has been relegated to my range list and replaced by a G30 in my carry list.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

Individual gun characteristics vs. brand or type characteristics

In my own experience and in the course of reading hundreds of postings like this one, I have become convinced that the performance and reliability characteristics of one particular gun are more important than the general performance and reliability characteristics of a brand or type of gun. In other words, there are good and bad 1911s, and good and bad Glocks. The only way to determine which you have is to test that individual gun under real operating conditions. The feeling that "Glocks are generally good" won't save you if you have a malfunctioning Glock. And the feeling that "1911s are generally unreliable" doesn't really pertain to an individual 1911 that has never failed through thousands of rounds fired.

I might trust John Smith or Joe Jones because I know them and can always count on them based on past experience. But I don't trust humans because they are human.
    pbmagnet likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Thank you for posting your observation and experience.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    guess it depends on what you are going to do with it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I'm not worried about how reliable a gun is after 200 or so rounds without cleaning. It's the magazine in it, and the spare I have on me that it must reliably go thru at the time I need it.

In my own testing posted here, I ran a Glock and my Colt both with 1000 rounds and had no issues over the weekend of shooting.

Now, it seems to me, based on my shooting experiences, that modern guns, at least the full sized guns, run pretty reliably. My opinion on the matter is too much emphasis is placed on round count to determine reliability.

Now, at first glance, this seems to make sense. But, if we are of the mind that an autoloader must fire x number of rounds to be reliable, then maybe a revolver is the best choice.
    Sure, a revolver could bind, or break, but, after all the mechanisms work correctly in an autoloader after the hammer drops and round is extracted, it still must pick up, and insert the next round in the chamber without fail before the trigger mechanisms can even be worked again.

These are just my thoughts. But, high round count in training exercises IMO, are not a deciding indicator for me in determining whether or not a particular gun is suited for real world type scenarios in the practical sense.
    So for me, if a clean gun constantly gets thru 50 rounds of ammo without fail, I'll trust it for my purposes.
    G-Man is pretty much spot on here. The act of extracting and ripping off a new round add far more possible failures. The only thing I would say that adds complexity to a revolver are the internal mechanisms which have a bit more potential for failure compared to a Glock for instance.
    Ccccccc what? Ccccccccccc Hawks!

Quote Originally Posted by Dandyone View Post
    Prickly, indeed. I was just sharing the experience, that's all.
    Like I said, I was surprised by the failures, and excited to share a positive shooting experience.
    Isn't that what this forum is for?
    If I wanted do statistically defensible research, I would publish it in a peer reviewed journal.
    This is just a story, and you can draw whatever conclusions you want, or none if that pleases you.
    Edit: 'none to speak of' means zero malfunctions from *my* PPQ.
    Gee, your writing style & content suddenly became MUCH more clear & understandable. I just got originally fooled by your thread title. Appreciate the clarification(s), Thanks!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by C hawk Glock View Post
    G-Man is pretty much spot on here. The act of extracting and ripping off a new round add far more possible failures. The only thing I would say that adds complexity to a revolver are the internal mechanisms which have a bit more potential for failure compared to a Glock for instance.
    And we all know that people like Rollo can make this happen, lol.
    ctr and gasmitty like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

1911 vs Glock and the winner is....a revolver
    glockman10mm and msgt/ret like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

Glocks vs. 1911s... and the winner is...

The winner is me with my 1911 and my wife with her Glock.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Distinguished Member Array OhioCatter's Avatar
    I have both, a 1911 (see avatar) and a Glock. I have put quite a few rounds through both and have not had any issues with either. All guns (all) can fail at one time or another its just a matter of time.

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    In my own experience and in the course of reading hundreds of postings like this one, I have become convinced that the performance and reliability characteristics of one particular gun are more important than the general performance and reliability characteristics of a brand or type of gun. In other words, there are good and bad 1911s, and good and bad Glocks. The only way to determine which you have is to test that individual gun under real operating conditions. The feeling that "Glocks are generally good" won't save you if you have a malfunctioning Glock. And the feeling that "1911s are generally unreliable" doesn't really pertain to an individual 1911 that has never failed through thousands of rounds fired.

I might trust John Smith or Joe Jones because I know them and can always count on them based on past experience. But I don't trust humans because they are human.
    The bolded part of your post sums up my feelings exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    And we all know that people like Rollo can make this happen, lol.
    Does it make me a bad person if I chuckled a bit at this?

ETA: By the way Rollo, if you're following this thread, how's the LCR doing?

I've got 1911's and Glocks that have not jammed.
    I've got 1911's and Glocks that have jammed.

I carried Glocks, went to 1911's, went back to Glocks.

Often I carry appendix IWB and the subcompact Glocks 4'' height is less than (advantageous for concealment under minimal attire) the 5'' height of 3'' 1911's.
    When I carry strong side IWB, I like the thin slide of the 1911, but am sticking with a Glock since that's what I typically carry.

Carry preferences aside, I've shot both with a shot timer (several different sessions) and there is essentially no difference in the total time it takes me to put two rounds on target, even though my Glocks have a NY trigger.
    No internal lock or magazine disconnect on my pistols!

It doesn't surprise me at all that the "customized" Glock had failures. Custom trigger jobs and other mods often cause a dramatic decrease in reliability. I once had a self-proclaimed glocksmith recommend a lighter recoil spring. I tried it and had failure to go into battery about half the time. Now as a Glock Certified Armorer, I have a little better understanding that the Glock engineers chose the parts and springs they use for a reason. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    glockman10mm likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    My Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special has never failed to feed, fire, and eject, running 100% reliably, and if I recall correctly, I did not clean it during the first 500 rounds. This is my only current 1911, purchased about 1999 or 2000.

My Series 80 Colt Classic Government Model had only one minor failure-to-feed. IIRC, it was with an unfamiliar magazine.

My Series 80 Colt Stainless Government Model had two minor failures to feed during the first 200 rounds, then ran 100%
    reliably after that.

My full-sized Springfield Armory, Incorporated, 1911, made back when they just made one 1911 model, was 100% reliable.

I had less good fortune with 1911 pistols smaller than full-sized. I had mixed luck with full-sized 1911 pistols of a brand best described as hobby-grade, rather than first-rate. (Kimber)

I bought two new G22 pistols in early 2002, to use as duty pistols. One ran 100% reliably, with 165-grain ammo, whereas the other was quite the drama queen for a while, until I installed heavier magazine springs as recoomended by a local armorer. New G27 ran reliably from round one. One of the G22 pistols, I am unsure which, did not like 180-grain ammo, due to an out-of-spec slide latch, that occasionally locked the slide back with live rounds still in the mag, but that was not noticed until 2005, when I could not find enough 165-grain ammo for a training class, and bought 180-grain, instead.

So, my experience with quality full-sized 1911 pistols, and Glock pistols, purchased new, is that neither platform is perfect, but both can be quite reliable.
    Last edited by Rexster; December 2nd, 2012 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Typo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links