Sig 22 conversion or Ruger SR22

This is a discussion on Sig 22 conversion or Ruger SR22 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up a sweet Sig 229 extreme and now I'm looking for something in 22lr. Would you get the Sig conversion or grab a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sig 22 conversion or Ruger SR22

Just picked up a sweet Sig 229 extreme and now I'm looking for something in 22lr. Would you get the Sig conversion or grab a Ruger SR22? Hmmmm.... It sucks that the conversion kits come with one mag.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    American Tactical 2210M1911 GSG1911 1911 22LR 5" 10+1 Checke $319.00 SHIPS FREE

This company makes the Sig .22 (from what I understand). I debated a conversion kit versus a Ruger 22/45. A friend recommended this and I bought it. It is fun to shoot and parts are 80% interchangeable with my 1911. Just something to consider.... BTW - this only comes with one magazine too, but extras aren't too expensive. Oh, mine prefers Federal 36 grain JHP to the Remington, but both will work. Good luck!
    Last edited by sniper58; December 1st, 2012 at 01:00 AM. Reason: add
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

Trigger time is trigger time. The idea of a .22 rimfire conversion for my EDC seems ideal on the surface, but few of the conversations deliver the type of accuracy that makes a .22 autoloading pistol really interesting. IMHO, spend the money to buy a complete, accurate .22 handgun...and enjoy having two handguns. (The exception being a Marvel 1911 .22 conversion. They are match-grade. S&W 41, Pardini, etc. accurate!)
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The only thing I think would be neat was the practice I could get off same frame. Trigger too

I'm with you. I've been eyeing the .22lr conversion for my P229 but I've read that they really need high power ammo. I have a suppressor so I want to run the slow stuff.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

VIP Member
    The Ruger SR22 is a great gun that is fun to shoot.

While I'm at the range, I like to be able to put one gun down and pick up another and immediately begin shooting...you can't do that with a conversion kit.
    MASSIVE and HardBall like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Distinguished Member
    I have a 22 kit for my CZ p-01. One of the best purchases I have made. Once I got it I kicked myself for waiting so long to get it.

I take that gun to the range almost weekly now because I can afford to shoot 22 as long as I can/want. I have learned that pistol so well in the last few weeks, really been cool. Just got the gun shop to order me the advantage arms glock 22 kit, so soon I'll be able to do the same with my EDC. Its the best way I can get in LOTS of trigger time with my carry gun. Yes I know its alot different than shooting real rounds, but its trigger time and really is useful, I will throw in as much time with centerfire rounds as I can afford. I would much rather have these kits to convert my acctual pistols than having other 22 pistols. My 0.02
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

VIP Member Array Civil_Response's Avatar

Re: Sig 22 conversion or Ruger SR22

.22 is dirty, I I prefer it remain its own gun and not a conversion.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

miller_man, you're absolutely right! The CZ Cadet conversion should have been included in my 1911/Marvel comment. It's VERY well done.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Absolutely love my SR22... Great features for a rimfire - a decocking safety, ability to dry-fire, E/W adjustable rear sight, interchangeable grips, etc. Very reliable, very accurate, very comfy for CC for that matter.

Between the SR22 and my SR9c (EDC), everything else is starting to get jealous.
    NRA Life / Endowment UT, FL, IL

I'd go with the SR22 or some other 22 pistol and not deal with conversion kits. Like Thunder71 wrote, 22LR is a dirty round and I'd rather contain the mess.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hulley View Post
    I'm with you. I've been eyeing the .22lr conversion for my P229 but I've read that they really need high power ammo. I have a suppressor so I want to run the slow stuff.
    I'm curious about that. If you look at Ballisitics By The Inch, only the hyper-velocity rounds (Stinger and Yellow Jacket) exceed sonic velocity from a 6-inch, fixed (solid breech) barrel. At least in theory, if the bullet doesn't exceed the speed of sound, the suppressor should still have the same level of sound reduction (x many dB from unsuppressed). Have you shot any HV ammo to see if this is true?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm curious about that. If you look at Ballisitics By The Inch, only the hyper-velocity rounds (Stinger and Yellow Jacket) exceed sonic velocity from a 6-inch, fixed (solid breech) barrel. At least in theory, if the bullet doesn't exceed the speed of sound, the suppressor should still have the same level of sound reduction (x many dB from unsuppressed). Have you shot any HV ammo to see if this is true?
    I had a Ruger 22/45 with a TacSol threaded upper that had a 5.5" barrel. I could tell a pretty good sound difference between HV and standard ammo. I always heard that in a pistol the 22lr would never reach super sonic speed but I could tell a decent difference.

The articles I read found CCI ammo to be the most rreliable and that ammo is much higher speeds than the typical HV ammo, something like 1600fps (probably wrong, going by memory), plus its pretty expensive for .22lr. I reload 9mm for less than 10cents per round. But I still want a suppressed 22 pistol, probably go with the SR22.
    I carry a .357mag because no one bickers about the .357mag being "enough".

After doing some math, I am probably better of just buying $350 worth of 9mm and practicing with that. After you blow 3-400 on a 22lr, you are not that far ahead

Quote Originally Posted by skystud1 View Post
    After doing some math, I am probably better of just buying $350 worth of 9mm and practicing with that. After you blow 3-400 on a 22lr, you are not that far ahead
    Completely disagree with your math. Once you have the .22 pistol, your ammo budget goes 10X as far. Trigger time is trigger time, caliber IS NOT as important as round count.
    miller_man likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links