Striker-fired semi's- how "safe" if dropped?

This is a discussion on Striker-fired semi's- how "safe" if dropped? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering a lighter 9mm for my EDC... My CZ-82 has a hammer-block safety, and I've always appreciated the added safety factor- it's fallen out ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By tmoore912
  • 5 Post By fastk9dad
  • 1 Post By 1MoreGoodGuy

Thread: Striker-fired semi's- how "safe" if dropped?

I'm considering a lighter 9mm for my EDC...
    My CZ-82 has a hammer-block safety, and I've always appreciated the added safety factor- it's fallen out of the holster once when I bent over (heavy sucker...)

In doing a bit of due diligence, my 25 year old pistol seems to have this no-brainer safety feature, but near as I can tell, current semi's do not...

So to the question...

Can striker-fired pistols discharge if dropped? And, are there any subcompact hammer-fired 9mm's that incorporate a hammer-block safety?

Almost all modern striker-fired handguns have a firing pin safety, which makes them drop proof per se. Biggest problem with dropping a fire arm is not trying to catch it. Just let it hit the ground. It will not go off.
    aus71383 likes this.
    GeorgiaCarry.org
    GPDO SAF NRA
    Let Not My Last Thought Be, If Only I Had My Gun.

Re: Striker-fired semi's- how "safe" if dropped?

I believe the s&w shield has a firing pin block that is only disingaged when the trigger is pulled. Plus it has a safety on it which you can use or not. Is that what your looking for?

Distinguished Member
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and recommend you invest in a new holster, because, IMHO, a firearm should not fall out from bending over regardless of how heavy it is. I could do handstands and cartwheels all day and none of my handguns will fall out unless I want them too.

With that said, as mentioned, modern striker fired guns have a firing pin safety preventing the pin from moving unless the trigger is pulled.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Most striker fired are DAO (sure, some exceptions) so the striker is not in a cocked position. nor is the firing pin in contact with the primer area of the cartridge. No danger of firing during a drop. Again, probably some crappy cheap gun exception to this rule.

You'll be hard pressed to find a striker fired gun without a firing pin safety. Glocks, Springfield XDs, S&W M&Ps, Kahrs, FN FNS, Berettas, Rugers, etc. all have them.
    Your number one Option for Personal Security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation. - Rule #23 in the USMC rules for gunfighting.

VIP Member
    The guns that "accidentally" go bang when they get dropped are called props and they use them in movies and on TV shows.

Trigger manipulation is what causes guns to go bang and usually a human is the responsible for the trigger getting manipulated.
    torgo1968 likes this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    The guns that "accidentally" go bang when they get dropped are called props and they use them in movies and on TV shows.

Trigger manipulation is what causes guns to go bang and usually a human is the responsible for the trigger getting manipulated.
    Or they're older firearm from pre-firing pin block days.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    You might just find what your looking for with the subcompact Sig P938 has a single action trigger mechanism with an exposed hammer, and is meant to be carried cocked-and-locked, just like a 1911

Thanks guys.
    I have not studied the striker-fired mechanism, so wasn't sure of it's function.

My wife's LC9 is hammer fired- and does not seem to have a hammer-block safety.

I prefer to carry hammer down, rather than cocked and locked with safety on.

I was considering another LC9, just another consideration. Hers is purse carry (special CCW purse with holster) so it is impossible for the hammer to be struck incidentally.

Distinguished Member
    The LC9 might not have a hammer safety but I'd be willing to bet it still has a firing pin safety.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Sponsored Links