Mfg. Date?

Mfg. Date?

This is a discussion on Mfg. Date? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out what date the RIA 1911 I bought was made. I also wouldn't mind doing the same ...

Thread: Mfg. Date?

Mfg. Date?

Just out of curiosity, I wanted to find out what date the RIA 1911 I bought was made. I also wouldn't mind doing the same with my other handguns and rifles. Is there any website or app for the phone that one can do so based on serial numbers?
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

I would call or email RIA directly.

Taurus and Ruger's web sites offer dating by serial numbers - see their Customer Service pages.

S&W and Winchesters have a lot of collectors' clubs and forums, and if you ask nicely you can usually get someone to help you out with a lookup.

Beyond that, search engines are your best resource. The older and the more classic the gun (i.e., Winchester, S&W) the more likely you are to find dating info. Conversely, if you've got a Hi-Point, I think you may find it difficult to date.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Thanks!
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Links