Springfield XD40 premature slide-lock

This is a discussion on Springfield XD40 premature slide-lock within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've been having an issue with my Springfield lately. Every now and then, the slide will lock back with rounds still in the magazine. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Springfield XD40 premature slide-lock

I've been having an issue with my Springfield lately. Every now and then, the slide will lock back with rounds still in the magazine. I drop the slide (either slingshot or with the button) and the rest of the mag cycles just fine.

I thought at first it was just me, that I was bumping the slide lock with my thumb under recoil. Then I started noticing that it was always five rounds left in the mag. Every time. I did some testing to verify that I wasn't thumbing the slidelock (one test I held my thumbs out from the body of my pistol... not good for accuracy). It's still inconsistent, maybe one mag out of five, but all my 12rnd mags have done it. I normally load 10 rounds in practice mags, since it's easier to keep count, load, and faster to grab two rows of rounds from the box, but loading to 12 rounds made no difference. I've also had issues with Federal 165 and 180gr AE ball from several different cases, 180gr Blazer Brass, and 165gr Gold Dot, so I don't think it's my ammo.

I have two Springfield XDs. A Service (4") and Subcompact (3"). The Service came with two 12rnd mags. I got two spare mags with a promo. My Subcompact came with two mags, one 9rnd and one 12rnd. So that's five 12rnd mags and one 9rnd mag. At first, I thought it was just the Service, because that's what I usually shoot at the range, but over Thanksgiving I was at my folks' house and all I had was the 3". I filled up my spare mags with practice ammo, and she locked up with 5 in the mag.

I ran across this article, a bunch of threads on various forums, and several YouTube videos that seem to think that the problem is that the slide lock lever is too long and brushing up against the bullets of the rounds being fed up from the magazine. This seem consistent with the fact that it's always five rounds left in the mag.

I contacted Springfield:

Hi (livewire) – My first question is where are your thumbs when shooting ? This can be caused by riding the slide stop button when shooting.

If that is not the case, then we will get them back and figure out what is wrong with them.

Thanks, Tom
    Tom,

When it first happened, I assumed I was bumping the slide lock with my thumb, but after I started to notice that it was always five rounds left in the mag I paid a little closer attention. I never could find any indication that I was bumping the button (I keep my thumb pretty low), but I took steps to confirm that I wasn't. I can't hit anything with my thumb out like an idiot, but at least I know I'm not hitting the button either :)

I do notice that the slide lock lever on the inside (with the slide removed) is awfully close to the rounds feeding up through the mag. Is there a newer design slide lock lever that is a bit shorter?

Thanks,

(livewire)
    I am not aware of newer design, but I could send you out a couple new slide stops to see if that helps ?

Tom
    First of all, I'm impressed with that response. Not only is he willing to accept a defect without pushback, he's volunteering a solution that will not involve me sending in my EDC. Also, I end up with spare parts, so if this doesn't fix the problem, I can mod my original slide-stop without voiding the warranty since I'll have factory-original spares.

I'll keep this thread updated with my progress.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

Another place to bring up the issue is on the XD forum: XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

I don't recall significant discussion of a problem like yours, but I've not read all gazillion posts there.

Springfield is well regarded for their great customer service.

Hope you get this resolved soon.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Another place to bring up the issue is on the XD forum: XDTalk Forums - Your XD/XD(m) Information Source!

I don't recall significant discussion of a problem like yours, but I've not read all gazillion posts there.

Springfield is well regarded for their great customer service.

Hope you get this resolved soon.
    My google search for the problem generated a bunch of hits from XDTalk. I didn't bother to dig through them since their CS seems to be willing to handle it. This is more of an informative post than anything.
    There are four boxes to be used in the defense of liberty: soap - ballot - jury - ammo

“The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie: deliberate, continued, and dishonest; but the myth: persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic.”
    -- John F. Kennedy

humm, i don't own a Springfield but on my glock there is a extra chunk of plastic on the mag follower that activates the slide lock when the last round has left.

How new are your mags, Brand new mags have always given me fits, no matter what gun, best thing to do is grab new mags and fill with bullets, for at least week, to loosen the springs. I know you said you had several mags cause the problem but are they all new?
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jgriner View Post
    humm, i don't own a Springfield but on my glock there is a extra chunk of plastic on the mag follower that activates the slide lock when the last round has left.

How new are your mags, Brand new mags have always given me fits, no matter what gun, best thing to do is grab new mags and fill with bullets, for at least week, to loosen the springs. I know you said you had several mags cause the problem but are they all new?
    I got the SC a couple years after the Service, and I got the spare set with one of them.... not sure which. They get rotated between carry (I carry two spares) and practice, so they're all broken in but far from worn out. I have had issues with all five (they're numbered with sharpie) but none are "bad"... If I load all five, one will give me fits before I'm done, and if I just use one the whole time I'll run into issues within every five reloads or so.

On the Springfield, there's a notch on the metal of the mag body that has a flat surface on the follower that lines up with it. The slide stop has a little 'peg' that sticks out to engage that little platform. Here's an image from the site I referenced earlier... mine looks just like that, but I never bothered to take a picture.

409WebRdy.jpg

-- John F. Kennedy

Had my XD40SC for a long time, never had this issue?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Had my XD40SC for a long time, never had this issue?
    It's pretty intermittent on mine... but it might be some kind of uncommon defect. I don't see a lot of noise about it, but there is some. How often do you use the 12rnd mags in yours?

-- John F. Kennedy

Your picture does seem to show that the slide stop is awfully close to the rounds in the mag. Perhaps one of the new ones they send you won't be quite as long internally. Try them out and see what happens. At the very least, as you said, you can modify one of them to see how it works. Props to SA for acknowledging your problem and offering a possible solution that doesn't involve shipping the gun back to them.

I have a XD40sc and had the same thing happen after about 2000 rounds. Everyone said I was bumping the lock back lever with my thumb. I tried to push the lever up with my thumb when firing it but I could not get the slide to lock back that way. Tried different magazines with the same result. When mine would lock back it was either on the 5th or the 6th round. Sent the pistol back to springfield, had it back in 7 days. They never said what the problem was and that was 5 years ago and I have not had a failure since.

Well... the last I heard from Springfield was the first of December, and I still haven't gotten any parts.

Maybe it's time to start looking at the Smiths after all...

-- John F. Kennedy

I'm having the exact same issue here. Do you have anymore updates about the parts you were waiting on?

Never did... I'm guessing they got overwhelmed with the current panic buying, and figured I'd give it some time. I wouldn't buy another XD because of this now. Eventually I'll change over to M&Ps or something, but not going to bother right now.

-- John F. Kennedy

Distinguished Member Array chuckusaret's Avatar
    I have the XD40SC with over 6K rounds thru it, never a problem. I also have the XD40 5" with less than 500 rounds thru it with no problems.
    US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
    — Abraham Lincoln

Here is what mine looks like... There is plenty of clearance from what I can see. I also thought it was my thumb but I made it malfunction 5 times with my thumb way out to the side. If the nub isn't the issue? what is? The spring has plenty of retention, checked that.

xd.jpg

Well, just got back from the range. By NRA instructor guy was there so I was in luck. I went out alone to fire a few first. I got through about 50 rounds without a malfunction and then, it happened again... The slide was locked back like the mag was empty.

Now, the purpose of my range visit today was to rule out that my thumb wasn't causing the issue. I was holding my right thumb down with my left thumb, so there was NO WAY my thumb was causing the issue.

Just to confirm that it wasn't my thumb, I got the instructor on the line with me so he could witness another malfunction. Now this was a bit painful because it took several rounds for it to malfunction again. On about round 75, it happened again. The instructor said that it wasn't user error of any kind as he was watching my thump placement the entire time.

Since I have verified with the previous picture that there is plenty clearance between that nub and the next round, it's probably not that. My range guy said the spring might be faulty causing the it kick up just because of the recoil... Possibility...

Anyways, no one online or @ the range can put their finger on the problem so I guess I'll be calling SA tomorrow to see what they want to do about it.

Time to knock the dust off the G19 and carry that until I figure out what in the heck is wrong with my XD40SC.

This honestly sounds like a one off situation since I do not believe it's the nub causing the problem. Could be something deeper? My biggest fear is SA sending it back with no trouble found... If that's the case, I'll have to trade it up for a G27. Kind of sucks if that happens because I already have the Crossbreed for the XD40SC.

If anyone has any other ideas before I send it off to SA tomorrow, please let me know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links