Assault Weapon as a description

This is a discussion on Assault Weapon as a description within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A gun is not a "weapon". A gun is an instrument. A gun only becomes a "weapon" after said instrument is used for attack or ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Assault Weapon as a description

A gun is not a "weapon". A gun is an instrument. A gun only becomes a "weapon" after said instrument is used for attack or defense. Before the instrument is used for attack or defense, it is merely a gun...an object...a tool, which if used in a certain way, can be turned into a person's weapon.

"Assault" is an unlawful attempt or threat to do bodily harm to another person. Only a person can unlawfully attempt or threaten to do bodily harm to another individual. An inanimate object, such as a gun, can not attempt or threaten to do anything.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

2. Remove Ads

The mainstream press and anti-gunners have used the term very effectively to strike fear into folks who are ignorant about guns and who probably are already afraid of them. As SIGuy said, it hints at using a gun for illegal or violent purposes. I think that we should correct folks on this whenever we have the chance.

It is interesting when you look at the kind of guns and accessories banned in the '94 AWB, many of them are more cosmetic than anything... it makes guns look mean, and that frightens people. And it is even more ironic that very few crimes are actually committed with "assault weapons." Probably way more crimes committed with "Saturday night specials" or guns that somebody stole from grandpa's drawer than anything resembling "assault weapons." Many crimes are committed with guns that don't even work.

I call all rocks about 6-8 inches across Assault Weapons. People sometimes ask what I'm talking about. I tell them that when someone tries to hit THEM in the head with one they will understand. About 25 years ago I was kneeling down working on a parking lot gate when someone attacked me. Luckily I saw it coming and used my 'assault hammer' from my tool kit to defend myself.
    aus71383 likes this.
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I have seen, as many of you have, the term "Assault Weapon" used to described a class of rifles in particular. Each time I hear it I am aware of the politically correct spin that is being employed and it ruffles my feathers every time. Is it just me or wouldn't any type of weapon be an assault weapon? Usually the people that use this term are the same folks that call every firearm with a magazine an "automatic". I'd be interested in your take on the matter.
    It's a "sporting rifle" ..... or a "semi-automatic rifle" ..... that's it. We hurt ourselves if WE call them assault weapons or assault rifles. They are neither.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Hmm, when one uses any type weapon when they assault golly gee its an assault weapon don't ya think???

I call mine a Colt M4 carbine rifle.... Weird thing is that's what it is....... Nothing more or less........
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

If I had to pick any of my rifles to use in an assault.....then that one is an "Assault Rifle" - potentially. They are all inanimate objects though. I have "Assault Elbows" and an "Assault Forehead" if I want to.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    A gun is not a "weapon". A gun is an instrument. A gun only becomes a "weapon" after said instrument is used for attack or defense. Before the instrument is used for attack or defense, it is merely a gun...an object...a tool, which if used in a certain way, can be turned into a person's weapon.

"Assault" is an unlawful attempt or threat to do bodily harm to another person. Only a person can unlawfully attempt or threaten to do bodily harm to another individual. An inanimate object, such as a gun, can not attempt or threaten to do anything.
    I've seen where LEO stated that someone tried to ASSAULT them with a vehicle.

So what type of Assault Car do you drive

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Terse View Post
    I have no dog in this fight as to what some one should call it or not call it, but what does AR actually stand for? Is it simply a model designation or does it stand for assault riffle?

Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberpackn View Post
    I have seen, as many of you have, the term "Assault Weapon" used to described a class of rifles in particular. Each time I hear it I am aware of the politically correct spin that is being employed and it ruffles my feathers every time. Is it just me or wouldn't any type of weapon be an assault weapon? Usually the people that use this term are the same folks that call every firearm with a magazine an "automatic". I'd be interested in your take on the matter.
    Anything including hands, knives, bats, hammers, tire irons, screw drivers, cars, etc. can be an "assault weapon" when in the hands of someone bent on attacking another.

Quote Originally Posted by Terse View Post
    I have no dog in this fight as to what some one should call it or not call it, but what does AR actually stand for? Is it simply a model designation or does it stand for assault riffle?
    AR stands for Armalite, the company that designed the rifle. Read up on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 old 0311 View Post
    Good point!
    Actually, it's a completely uninformed point. As I've noted earlier, AR stands for Armalite. Armalite is the company that designed the rifle.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Weapon, assault weapon--all a play on words, just as is half empty/half full.

I carry my firearm with every intent to use it as a weapon should I need to do so. Therefore--it is a weapon for my defense, as I intent for it to be.

If a firearm looks like what the military uses for an assault weapon, people are going to call it an assault weapon, no matter how much anyone quotes Websters or rants. If you think you can change that, you are mistaken.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

As you can see from the inanity above, it really isn't worth continuing to beat to dust. Terminology comes into usage, and right, wrong, or indifferent, it can take off and become part of the lexicon. I sure won't lose any sleep over it but then again I'm a moderate. I tell you, the more you righties split from the lefties the more sense it makes to be one of us.

FWIW: I refer to my SKS as an assault rifle when talking to the left, and a black rifle when talking to the right. Keeps thing simpler. Guess what? It's the same gun either way.

Quote Originally Posted by JayHawker45 View Post
    Yea, this term being thrown about is a pet peeve of mine also. The term was originally coined by the Germans during WWII in naming their SturmGewehr 44. Technically, an assault rifle is one that fires an intermediate sized cartridge, as opposed to a full sized rifle cartridge and is capable of firing either in semi automatic or automatic (either full automatic or burst fire) modes. So technically, our "MForgeries" and our semi auto only AKs are NOT assault rifles.
    OT the SturmGewehr 44. is probably my favorite gun....that I've never shot or even held.

"Assault Rifle" is a loaded term used largely by the ignorant, but to be fair "Liberal" is, too. Certainly there are plenty of anti-gun liberals but some restrictive gun laws have been passed by Reagan, Bush & Romney. I'm pretty liberal (especially for a board like this!) and I'm as pro-gun as it gets. Let's not go around making enemies over ignorant use of words.
    Darrow75 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links