Assault Weapon as a description

This is a discussion on Assault Weapon as a description within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen, as many of you have, the term "Assault Weapon" used to described a class of rifles in particular. Each time I hear ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Assault Weapon as a description

Senior Member Array Kimberpackn's Avatar

I have seen, as many of you have, the term "Assault Weapon" used to described a class of rifles in particular. Each time I hear it I am aware of the politically correct spin that is being employed and it ruffles my feathers every time. Is it just me or wouldn't any type of weapon be an assault weapon? Usually the people that use this term are the same folks that call every firearm with a magazine an "automatic". I'd be interested in your take on the matter.
    Eagleks and pir8fan like this.
    We should not forget that the spark which ignited the American Revolution was caused by the British attempt to confiscate the firearms of the colonists. -

Patrick Henry

Yea, this term being thrown about is a pet peeve of mine also. The term was originally coined by the Germans during WWII in naming their SturmGewehr 44. Technically, an assault rifle is one that fires an intermediate sized cartridge, as opposed to a full sized rifle cartridge and is capable of firing either in semi automatic or automatic (either full automatic or burst fire) modes. So technically, our "MForgeries" and our semi auto only AKs are NOT assault rifles.
    Reader, suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But, I repeat myself. ...Mark Twain: Manuscript note, c.1882.
    NRA Life Member & JPFO Member.
    Sig & CZ-aholic, a Ruger SP101 3" & Wiley Clapp GP100

AKA "Very scary looking" by some groups.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

I concur...I loathe the term, as it pre-supposes an action taken by a user. The ignorant and/or anti-gun love this term to project their inability to control themselves, as such, owners of evil black rifles are all potential mass murderers who shoot at schools and kick puppies.

Thus, when I hear/read about gun owners asking about owning an "assault rifle", my first question is: who or what are you going to assault? Or do you want to own a gas-operated, air-cooled, magazine-fed, semiautomatic rifle?

The first question supposes a future illegal action.

The second question is exercising a legal right.

Semantics? Yes. But it's how the "other side" fights the war of words and ideas.
    Kimberpackn, darbo and Eagleks like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

It's like nails on a chalkboard to me when I hear someone mention it in a conversation. I immediately know which news networks they watch most frequently. You don't hear the term manslaughter cars or killer airplanes yet more people are killed by those than firearms each year. As Sigguy229 said, it's a war of words and ideas. Ever read the book 1984?
    Conservative, Gun-Toting, Backwoods, College Educated, Hetrosexual, Male
    Any Questions?

Just begin calling them "Defensive Rifles" every time you need a descriptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Just begin calling them "Defensive Rifles" every time you need a descriptor.
    This is what I do.

I have no dog in this fight as to what some one should call it or not call it, but what does AR actually stand for? Is it simply a model designation or does it stand for assault riffle?

I just call 'em rifles.

Had a guy at work use the term. I asked, what is an "assault rifle?" He looked at me, and muttered somthing like ".....you of all people should know." I said I knew it was a term used by the ignorant to further an agenda. I told him that the weapons that he thought of when using the term are no different than my bolt action hunting rifles, other than they are not nearly as powerful as my bolt guns. He said they are a very specific type of weapon used for a very specific purpose. I said BS, I've been around a bunch, and have yet to be assaulted by any of them. Tried to explain that the operator of said weapon determines the purpose. Hunting, rec, target, defense, all about the user. He maintained his position. Still assault weapons.

I reached into my tool box, grabbed a torque wrench, and explained that this is also a very specific tool, used for a very specific purpose, but if I so desired I could cave his skull in with it. I asked "Does that capability make this a Snap On 1/2 drive assault torque wrench? And if so, why would a liberal like you have one in your tool box as well?"

As expected, he was at a loss for words.
    ruger91, SIGguy229, darbo and 1 others like this.

I, too, hate it, because it's like saying "freezing cold" or "burning hot". Like, weapons are meant to assault.

One of the first "assault weapons"

Last edited by Rock and Glock; December 2nd, 2012 at 06:27 PM.

In recent months I have heard, on the MSM, the term assault shotgun too!

The firearm isn't the assaulter, the person committs the assault.

It's all words to cause an emotional reaction. For "them" it's to strike fear with in the fearful/ protect me crowd. And you know what.... it works. There are many more un educated fearful "support me" folks then educated responsible people.
    darbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Terse View Post
    I have no dog in this fight as to what some one should call it or not call it, but what does AR actually stand for? Is it simply a model designation or does it stand for assault riffle?
    It means "America's Rifle" -- great for target shooting, hunting, competition and self defense.

The AR has been in production since 1963 or so and our 2nd amendment rights to own them keep us free.

BTW, if you're a gun owner join the NRA asap.
    Yetiman likes this.
    "Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more, you should never wish to do less".
    General Robert E. Lee

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    To the anti's on the Left the definition is simple: anything with a trigger and a projectile.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

FWIW, I looked it up after posting. AR stands for the company who originally built it, Armalite.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links