Trade in my PF9 for Kahr CM9?!

This is a discussion on Trade in my PF9 for Kahr CM9?! within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I bought my very reliable kel tec pf9 a couple years ago when I was still was broke from school and my wifes bought with ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Trade in my PF9 for Kahr CM9?!

Trade in my PF9 for Kahr CM9?!

I bought my very reliable kel tec pf9 a couple years ago when I was still was broke from school and my wifes bought with cancer. I really could only afford a 250.00 gun for cc. I now have more options. I have mixed feelings about getting rid of a weapon that has been 100% reliable. The Khar CM9 is certainly a much better looking weapon. The Berette Nano also comes to mind. Am I going to regret giving up my PF9 just because I dont like the way it looks and the slide rattles? Thank you for your thoughts

2. Remove Ads

I'd keep the PF9.

Glad things are looking up for your family. Keep your head up.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

Personally, I would start saving and then when you have enough buy a CM9. Then after owning and comparing the CM9 vs the PF9 for a while you can decide whether to get rid of the PF9 or not. Coming from someone that used to go through carry guns like underwear I can tell you this - Of the 10 or so carry guns I have sold/traded, I REGRET selling and trading at least 8 of them. This is the reason I have actually bought the same gun (Glock 19 and GLock 26) twice.
    -It is a seriously scary thought that there are subsets of American society that think being intellectual is a BAD thing...

I tried a PF-9, but I kept pinching my finger when I pulled the trigger! I passed on that one.. I bought a Ruger LC9. Nice gun. Reliable. Conceals easily. But it has a very long trigger. Smooth, but long. It's a keeper.

Last month it bought a CM9. Very reliable through the first 375 rounds of many different kinds of ammo! Very easy to conceal. A little snappy with +P ammo, but I don't shoot a lot of that. The trigger is what sold me on the gun! It's so smooth, it's like it runs on ball-bearings!!! You can also pocket carry it if you need to. It's a keeper also...

Lot's of decisions. I thought about the Nano, but it seems to be a hit-miss luck of the draw on it? you either love it, or hate it. I guess that the newer ones have a different extractor (?) that fixes some of the problems. But that's just from what I've read on the interenet. Sometimes that not very reliable info. I do know about the LC9 and the CM9. Both are good choices in the mini 9 category.

My next goal is to pick-up a S&W M&P 9 Shield....
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    Tony

In same situation, I kept reliable PF9, saved a little and found a new CM9 for $375+tax.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

The Kahr PM9 or CM9 is going to be a much better-made pistol, IMO. The trick will be to find an uber-reliable one (as with any new-to-you gun). If you can, then I'd say it would be a better platform. I'd suggest acquiring a CM9 and running it through its paces, then, assuming it turns out to be reliable and meet your requirements, change over from the PF9 to the CM9 for active carry.

Still, you've proven to yourself that your existing PF9 is plenty reliable. Might be worth sticking with it, on that basis alone.

Up to you.
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

NMB
    There is no doubt that the CM9 is a superior pistol in terms of looks and probably durability.

But if your PF9 is 100% (mine was not), if it aint broke dont fix it.
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I went from a reliable pf-9 to a cm9 and do not regret it one bit. Pistol is easier to shoot makeing double and trip-taps easier to control. Works well with a 8 round mag for back up. better finish and I am one that did nothing special for break in. haveing it cleaned and lubed want to the range and started working at running 400 rounds of 124gr fmj thru it over 2 trips. I now have 1150 rounds fired in the cm9 and have zero issues. CC ammo is a 124gr +P Gold Dot load. No one in the family wanted to shoot the pf-9 so it was sold. I also had a cw9 first and that is a very easy pistol to shot and cause me to buy the cm9. The KT was a good pistol but only needed one pocket pistol.

Timetrialsc You are a ways off but if you want to shoot a kahr and get to ashville for anything your wecome to shoot mine if it helps make up your mind. Might also find someone closer at carolina shooters club to try other brand pistols too.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

I second Rollo's advice, if it's workable.

If you're absolutely limited to one gun (for whatever reason), I'd trade up to the CM9 without hesitation.

Regards,
    Jim
    Timetrialsc likes this.

Re: Trade in my PF9 for Kahr CM9?!

Shield over all of them, no question about it. But let's face it, the Keltec and Kahr are not show pieces no matter which you have, so why stray from a gun that serves your needs and is reliable? You'll gain nothing, you're taking a big chance, and you'll be out not only the money on the gun but the ammo cost to verify it's reliable.

If you want to upgrade, there's better choices than a CM9.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Go ahead and trade for the Kahr. It really doesn't matter, because if you miss your pf9 so badly that you MUST replace it, they still only cost ~$250, just like it did before, when you were broke. It's not like they're tough to find!
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Re: Trade in my PF9 for Kahr CM9?!

But he has a reliable one. :p

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Go ahead and trade for the Kahr. It really doesn't matter, because if you miss your pf9 so badly that you MUST replace it, they still only cost ~$250, just like it did before, when you were broke. It's not like they're tough to find!
    100%-reliable PF-9's are as tough to find as 100%-reliable Kahr's. I myself is a proud owner of the 95%-reliable PF-9

This type of "transaction" makes no sense to me. As others have said already, if you want to try another gun, just go ahead and buy it. But selling the broken-in gun that proved to be 100% reliable to get a big unknown... Why?
    ccw9mm and Timetrialsc like this.

Well, as you move upward in brand, reputation & cost you (generally) move upward in reliability as well. I don't see the OP talking about moving to a Sig or an HK, etc. He's just discussing a move from a very, very value-priced handgun to just a very value-priced handgun (maybe $100 difference?) so IMHO it's not a big whoop either way. And IMHO if it's THAT hard to find a dependable pf9, then even the good ones are just bad ones waiting to expose their weaknesses. It's like hoping (betting) a stripper will make a really fine...wife. It CAN happen, but the odds aren't working in your favor.
    Timetrialsc likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

mkh
    I have a PF9 that has been reliable but if I was going to trade it i would go with a Bersa BP9 CC.
    Timetrialsc likes this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links