Looking @ .22s

This is a discussion on Looking @ .22s within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Currently eyeing up a Walther P22 ($379), S&W 22A ($299) and a Heritage .22 revolver ($249), Beretta NEOS .22 ($279), Ruget Mark III ($329). Does ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Looking @ .22s

Looking @ .22s

Currently eyeing up a Walther P22 ($379), S&W 22A ($299) and a Heritage .22 revolver ($249), Beretta NEOS .22 ($279), Ruget Mark III ($329).

Does anybody have any experience with any of these? Im really not a fan of the Mark3 style a lot of .22 semis use. Right now I'm leaning towards the Walther. I'm here at Bass Pro, doing the Santa's workshop with the kids, so thanks in advance for any quick replies.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

2. Remove Ads

Get the Ruger MarkIII as they are fun plinkers. I always have fun taking this gun to the range or field. I have also used them for hog dispatcher which works very good.
    stancehold likes this.

I have a browning buckmark .22 it's been good to me. Check it out
    sioux565 likes this.
    My EDC G27 gen. 4
    Favorite range gun G23 gen. 3

NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I have a P22 I bought about 9 years ago. Maybe the price you are looking at is OK, but it seems way too high-
    unless you factor in considerable inflation through the years. I have not been happy with mine; YMMV.
    I'm sure they fixed lots of problems as the years went by.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Re: Looking @ .22s

I really like my P22, nice shooter.

Tapatalk - Helping people post from bathrooms since 2009.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mark3, I just think its absolutely hideous. Anybody else with experiences regarding the Walther or Heritage revolvers? Heritage isn't a brand I'm familiar with at all.
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

VIP Member
    I have a Mark II Bull Barrel. I've had it for probably 25 years. Never any problems with it.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
    I have a browning buckmark .22 it's been good to me. Check it out
    Second the Buckmark nomination. With cheapest available ammo, more than half my rounds were landing in the 2 inch splatter sticky from 25 yards shooting offhand yesterday. Nice trigger, short smooth pull.

Cleaning is not fun, though.

Personally, I found the Walther to have far too small a grip.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    sioux565 likes this.
    GGs
    BGs

”Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”

Ruger MKIII or SR22 are better options than you listed except for the Buckmark.
    MASSIVE, Yetiman and cthruit like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

+1 on the Buck Mark. Price is a little more than the ones listed, but it will last forever. My last trip to the range I decided to take the target out to 25 yards and was making 2-3 inch groups.

I have the Beretta Neos and it is fantastic... put a cheapo red dot on it, and it is fun and inexpensive to shoot.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

The Ruger Marks and the Browning Buckmark are at the top of the list... you would have to work very hard to wear these guns out in a lifetime of use.

I'm partial to the Rugers, with a pair of Mk IIs, but I wouldn't shy away from the Brownings. I just consider the Rugers first among equals. FWIW, you'll see more Rugers in competition shooting than Brownings, if that floats your boat.

Also, don't overlook used Ruger Marks or Buckmarks. Those guns will be banging away long after the Walthers and Mosquitoes have given up the ghost.
    Yetiman likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Well, the kids were scared of Santa, so we left rather abruptly. I did get to hold each of these weapons before the sudden departure, I over all like the Walther with the pinky extension mag most. If it wasn't for that, the grip would be too small for me.

I guess the bright side is, instead of making an impulse purchase, now I can investigate and price shop online and/or through my LGS. Thanks for the advice!

While I personally prefer the Ruger Mark III 22/45 for my personal .22 pistol, I have a lot of experience with the P22.

We have several that are our main .22 semi-auto training pistols for students. A lot of people generally shoot them very well, and ours are all reliable. We shoot them until they stop working, which is usually around the 3-4000 round mark, and then clean them, and they work again.

I think my 22/45 is more accurate for a lot of people, but that could be because of the longer sight radius more than anything else. I am not sure how much of a difference one would see if both pistols were placed in a rest.
    bigmacque likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

The only problem I have seen with the Walther is that it can be picky about ammunition. If you don't use premium ammunition, it often fails to cycle. My wife rented one at the range and it jammed about every three rounds. This was with some no name ammunition provided by the range. When I complained, the range gave us a box of CCI and it cycled every round.

For that reason I went with a Ruger SR22. It seems to have no problem cycling any ammunition I have tried in it.

I used to have a Ruger Mark III Govt, with a bull barrel. It was much more accurate than I was. I still regret trading it in for something else.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links