Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

This is a discussion on Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Look at the Sig P250 in compact or subcompact. You can change calibers in any of 380, 9, 357Sig , or 45. Takes less than ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

Re: Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

Look at the Sig P250 in compact or subcompact. You can change calibers in any of 380, 9, 357Sig , or 45. Takes less than a minute to switch. The subcompact in 9 holds 12 double stacked.

George
    Smile. It makes people wonder what you are up to

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmhpfan View Post
    Steyr M9a1, i recommend it because I have found it to be reliable and accurate and it has the best out of the box trigger of any striker fired handgun I have shot.
    This! It has an amazing trigger and a great grip and bore axis is nice and high

VIP Member
    I would stay with the 9MM over the .380 calibers.
    For carry if I could only have one I would go with the Ruger LC9. It is lower priced, and very compact easy to carry year round. Now if you can only have one hand gun , I would consider the G-19. It will be more fun at the range. But it will be harder to conceal in the summer.

I don't like the idea of an expensive carry gun. I carry my Kimbers on occasion. If you have to defend yourself you may not get it back and the holster rash. That is why I like the Ruger or the Glock. The in and out of the holsters gives the Ruger or Glock character.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring in support of the CZ75 P07. Little history, I have a 1911A1 that was my carry but during the summer because of sweat, I finally broke down for a polymer. I purchased a Sig P250C, ran 2 mags through it and sold it. The DAO trigger pull was so long and stiff that my beginning to become arthritic hands couldn't take it. I bought the CZ P07 and have been singing its praises ever since. I elected to go with the decocker so I switched out the thumb safety. In DA, the trigger pull was about 2/3ds what it was with the Sig and is very smooth. It has little to no build up to trigger break; as a matter of fact, when dry firing or when at the range, I am unable to tell when the trigger is going to break. In SA, after trigger slack take up, I have about the same 4lbs or so that I have with my 1911 and it also is very smooth. I have put over 500 rds through it so far using mainly winchester white box ball and have had 0 FTF's or FTE's. The only thing I have not been able to do so far is to get that 16th round into the mag so I just go with 15+1. I have not been disappointed in the gun and if firearms are still available come spring, I hope to get a CZ 75BSA.

If you get a chance, check out the P07, it's worth a look I believe.
    Aiden528 likes this.
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

NMB
    Glock 19
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I think the SIG P938 might be a good choice.
    candalos likes this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

You're going to get a lot of different suggestions. My two are the Kahr PM9 or the LCP. I carry both and they're great. I've never had problems with either and they'll handle a variety of ammo.

The Sig 238 is hard to beat in a .380 acp handgun: solid feel, well made, low recoil and it is, after all--- a 9mm SHORT; not to mention the rep. of Sig Sauer.
    Chicken Little? Who the heck is Chicken Little? And what does she know, anyway?!

" The will of the majority, the natural law of every society, is the only sure guardian of the rights of man." Thomas Jefferson.

Senior Member Array TonyDTrigger's Avatar
    For 9mm, I own a Glock 19, and a 26 and love both. The Beretta px4 Compact is also an awesome pistol, all 3 super reliable. You can pay more but won't get more.

I don't like .380s, too snappy + less power. I prefer a .38 revolver, J frame or like it if I need to carry smaller than 9.

I actually just found a SIG 938 and loved everything but the price tag. The gander mountain near me has over 30 Beretta 84's for under $380 each so I may go cherry pick one just to have.
    candalos likes this.

If I could find any CZ I would probably buy it on the spot for the simple fact I cannot find a single one. I'm also looking at the Canik55/ TriStar C-100 a SA CZ compact clone but with an alloy frame.

+1 for the P238 if you're willing to accept the .380's power. I added a hogue rubber grip to mine it fits like a glove. It didn't like some of the cheap bulk hollow pouts I tried to feed it, but it will run like a top with everything else I've tried with it.

Another vote for the Sig P238 for .380 and Sig 938 for the 9mm. I have the SAS model of the 238, which has been dehorned so it doesn't snag on clothing. I wear it IWB at 4o'clock most of the time and in a belly band when I'm out running. I forget it's even there. Hubby just recently acquired a 938 and loves it. It's become his favorite carry gun.
    candalos likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MLittle View Post
    I own a CZ75 Compact (PCR) with a decocker. I really can't in good conscience recommend it to you..... The double action is very long and heavy and the single action has lots of creep and is very gritty. Maybe I've been spoiled by my Sigs, but I think my CZ has the worst da/sa I've ever shot.
    '

I've owned 4 CZ 75 series pistols, and out of the box the triggers have ranged from pretty good to really rough and gritty. The first I just dry fired and shot a bunch, and it smoothed up nicely. The second I did a little polishing of the internals and it ended up just a little bit nicer. The third I had worked on by the CZ custom shop, and it's amazing. One of my firearms instructional described the trigger as 'telekinetic,' but it might be a little light if you are used to a standard DA pull. My newest is a PCR, and after polishing the internals and changing the springs (from cajun gun works) it has what I consider a nearly perfect DA/SA trigger for a carry gun.

Now after tens of thousands of rounds they are all buttery smooth. The CZ custom gun has the competition hammer, so it's very light and crisp, but they are all smooth now. I suspect your buddies gun has had plenty of rounds through it.

Open up a CZ and you'll see that all the internals are machined parts, no stamped sheet metal anywhere, but it's obvious there is still quite a bit of hand finishing going on. I think that leads to much of the initial roughness.

If you want an amazing shooter out of the box, you can't go wrong ordering directly from the CZ custom shop and having them do the work.

I'm seriously considering the P07, partially because my local shop has two of them. I wasn't thrilled with the aggressive texture on the grips or just forward of the slide release but that's what sand paper is for. It does have the same great ergonomics as with all CZ's I've handled.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links