Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

This is a discussion on Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; RWP, I have been lusting after a Custom Shop ProTek 1 for a while but can't afford to spend that much right now. If Angus ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

RWP,

I have been lusting after a Custom Shop ProTek 1 for a while but can't afford to spend that much right now. If Angus had a PCR in stock I would order it now and have the custom work done later.

Did you get your PCR from direct from the Custom Shop?

2. Remove Ads

Aiden,

Yes, I ordered the PCR from the custom shop, but I didn't have them do the work. It may be a good idea to call them if the PCR isn't in stock, as I've found the inventory on the website isn't always up to date.

But I also ordered an SP-01T from the custom shop, and had them do the trigger job with competition hammer before they shipped it, which saves quite a bit of money/hassle. The only benefit to getting the gun then shipping it back IMO is that you will work out exactly what you want done to it before you make any decisions.

I say that because the competition hammer not only changes the geometry, it also drastically reduces the height of the hammer hook. The result is that in SA, the trigger does not have the characteristic creep of a factory CZ 75 series gun (the travel required to pull the hammer hook(s) off the sear). This may be good or bad depending on your skill level, intended purpose, and preference. Some new shooters that fire that gun fast end up with occasional inadvertent double taps, but experienced shooters mostly like the extra precision and speed.

My favorite gun to carry is actually a CZ 2075 alloy RAMI (9mm). It handles very much like the bigger CZs (and shares the same magazines), but for me it hits that sweet spot of being small enough to be very comfortable to wear, while still being large enough to be a serious shooter. I can actually fire that one almost as quickly and accurately as the PCR. I do wish I had gotten the decocker version though because I don't feel the safety detent is positive enough for condition 1 carry (but the good news is that in DA mode the safety cannot be engaged).

Having said all that, if you really want the protac, you may consider just biting the bullet and getting it. Don't think of it as double the price of a PCR, think of it as half the price of a custom 1911!

P.S. I did notice Buds has P-01s in stock.

Not sure if you're still looking but I like the Witness Compact. I also carry the Taurus 709 slim. Have a Desert Eagle but its the full size. However, it's the best gun I own and if the compact performs the same, it should be an option as well. The Witness has met every criteria I have plus the price is very affordable. Shoots like a bigger gun but conceals well.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links