Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

This is a discussion on Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Greetings All, It's been a while and I am now looking for a new carry pistol to compliment my S&W442. I have several pistols I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

Greetings All,

It's been a while and I am now looking for a new carry pistol to compliment my S&W442. I have several pistols I am looking at and would love some feedback. At the top of my list are the CZ 75 compacts either in SA with a steel frame or the alloy framed PCR with a decocker, though I am having a hard time finding either one. The CZ P07 is also in my top 6. The SIG 239 SAS is also a contender as my local shop has a used one at a good price but I am not a fan of the DA trigger pull. I'm also considering a 1911 commander in 9mm either a STI Spartan IV, or an RIA Commander 9mm if I can find one. For a back up pistol I was thinking about either a Beretta 85FS Cheetah I've always liked the Cheetah despite the >380 caliber and they are very accurate pistols.

Before I start getting a lecture about bigger bullets are better, I have carried and shoot a 9mm for 8 years and have never found it wanting when using the appropriate ammo. The .45 is a great cartridge and when I start reloading my own practice ammo I'll consider it. For those of you who shoot the .40S&W I'm sure its a very effective round, but it's not the 10mm.

Steyr M9a1, i recommend it because I have found it to be reliable and accurate and it has the best out of the box trigger of any striker fired handgun I have shot.

I like my LCP.....hardly know it's there

If you like single action triggers and 1911's the EMP is slim and comes in a 9 or 40. If you like a deep concealment option in .380 the sig p238 is excellent with a single action trigger and enough weight to be fun to shoot, even with +p loads.
    The EMP is as heavy fully loaded as a G17 but only has 9+1. Again, Great trigger. Trijicon night sights standard.

The LCP is easy to carry and accurate but has a looooooooong DAO trigger, very snappy to shoot due to weight.

Sent from my iPad

Well, if you don't like the double action on a Sig P239, you definitely will not like the double action on the CZ75 Compact. I own a CZ75 Compact (PCR) with a decocker. I really can't in good conscience recommend it to you..... The double action is very long and heavy and the single action has lots of creep and is very gritty. Maybe I've been spoiled by my Sigs, but I think my CZ has the worst da/sa I've ever shot. My opinion is that Sig makes the best da/sa out there.......... If you've shot a Sig in da/sa and didn't like it....you need to stick with single action pistols.

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

Well you seem to have a pretty good budget if you listed an STI Spartan so I would not even consider the RIA. The king of the 9mm's is and always will be the Browning Hi Power. SA, good safeties, decent triggers and very accurate.

I have owned the Cheetah and other .380's. Carried one for years as a "pocket rocket" BUG. 13 rounds of .380 is nothing to sneeze at.

It's all in your personal preference.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

I've only dry fired the SIG and am looking for one to test fire. I happen to like Armscor/RIA 1911's they are very well built the STI I mentioned is actually made by STI with Armscor parts. I've heard mixed reviews of the CZ's but I had the opportunity to shoot a friends fullsize CZ75 in Florida and loved it. The P07's I've dry fired have the new Omega trigger system which is fantastic. I'm a shooter and love pistols so sooner or later I hope to add each of these (and a few more revolvers) to my wardrobe. Right now it will come down to which pistol comes along at the right price first.

IWI Desert Eagle 9mm.

I don't even like 9mm's but this is one of my favorite pistols I own.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Distinguished Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiden528 View Post
    Greetings All,

It's been a while and I am now looking for a new carry pistol to compliment my S&W442. I have several pistols I am looking at and would love some feedback. At the top of my list are the CZ 75 compacts either in SA with a steel frame or the alloy framed PCR with a decocker, though I am having a hard time finding either one. The CZ P07 is also in my top 6. The SIG 239 SAS is also a contender as my local shop has a used one at a good price but I am not a fan of the DA trigger pull. I'm also considering a 1911 commander in 9mm either a STI Spartan IV, or an RIA Commander 9mm if I can find one. For a back up pistol I was thinking about either a Beretta 85FS Cheetah I've always liked the Cheetah despite the >380 caliber and they are very accurate pistols.

Before I start getting a lecture about bigger bullets are better, I have carried and shoot a 9mm for 8 years and have never found it wanting when using the appropriate ammo. The .45 is a great cartridge and when I start reloading my own practice ammo I'll consider it. For those of you who shoot the .40S&W I'm sure its a very effective round, but it's not the 10mm.
    get the PCR if are willing to carry a pistol that size,youll be amazed

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    If you like single action, the SIG P238 (.380 Auto) and SIG P938 (9mm) should be on your list of candidates. Both are very easy to conceal. The P238 is the most pleasant to shoot pocket .380 on the planet.

The single stack single action 9mm pistols are all a bit short on ammo capacity compared to the double stack counter parts, like the G26, or the M&P 9C.

The Shield is a very nice gun as well, and it has a nice trigger, but it's not a single action trigger.
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

HK P2000SK. Awesome gun.
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

VIP Member
    Welcome to the forum.

You mention the CZ Compact and the CZ PCR, have you looked at the CZ P-01? Similar to the PCR + rails.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Re: Looking for a New Carry Pistol, 9mm & 380ACP Suggestions welcome.

My vote goes for the LCP and the LC9. It will just take time to get used to the long trigger pull on both guns.
    SuperRuger101 likes this.

I'm going to be the descent and vote for the Beretta Cheetah. Yes, it is a .380 around the same size as some of the 9x19mm pistols you mention, but it is extremely well made, reliable, accurate, and fun to shoot. My preference is for the 84 version with the 13+1 capacity, but there is also a lot that is appealing about the slimmer 8+1 85. My two primary carry guns are the 84FS and S&W 642-1, I think they complement each other well. I carry a 4" M&P45 and/or a Ruger SP101 DAO from time to time also, but my primaries are the 84 and 642. I don't think 14 102 grain Golden Sabres are anything to sneeze at.

If you want a DA/SA 9x19mm, I don't think you can go wrong with the CZ pistols. I had a P-01 that I (foolishly) parted with. Wish I had it back.

-Landric

"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them" -Felix

I have two small 9mm's. A Beretta Nano and a SIG P938. The first is DA, the second SAO. Both have been great. The Nano trigger is much better than the one on my SW642. SIG comes with good night sights.
    Member: GeorgiaCarry.Org

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links