Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

This is a discussion on Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; PSA had SIG SP2022 2 weeks ago for $404 deliveried to FFL. My son-inlaw got one. Great pistol. Buy it and don't look back, + ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

PSA had SIG SP2022 2 weeks ago for $404 deliveried to FFL. My son-inlaw got one. Great pistol. Buy it and don't look back, + lifetime Sig warranty. "BEST BUY"
    mkh likes this.

2. Remove Ads

After researching and choosing a few guns, see if you can find a range that rents the guns you are interested in.

Might want to take a look at a Kahr CM or CW 9, great guns to carry ,accurate and reliable. on sale in my part of the country for $369.00 + tax. I carry a CW everyday.

I've learned a lot from the members on DC. Additionally, I've learned that postings like this garner opinions that cover a wide range of options.

I realize you are on a budget. I suggest that you get to a range and ask some of the members if you can take a shot or two or try and rent one or two guns. While you may spend $50 or so the end result will be more beneficial. Just my two cents.
    miller_man likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144

Ruger owners check our sister forum http://rugerpistolforums.com a great site to share and learn about your Ruger pistols.

Thanks for the help with this. I will be going to the local gun shop/range soon to see what I can find.

I like the Taurus line for cost effective quality, they are not the Taurus of old. The Millennium Pro and the 24/7 are great guns to be had for around $350 or less.
    Billb1960 likes this.

Ruger SR9C - $420-ish
    Springfield XD9-SC - $430-ish
    Karh CW-40 - $370-ish
    CZ-P 9mm - $440-ish (a few bucks more for .40s&w)

to name but a few.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Quote Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
    Hello everyone. I am new to guns and I am learning what I can from reading. I am looking for my first handgun for legal concealed carry, home defense in an apartment, and fun practicing at the range. A Glock is nice but they start at $500. I am looking in to the total over all cost to own and shoot the gun.
    Good. That's a little more realistic an outlook than the usual "what gun for $X" question.

It seems that the 9mm is a good over all round for edc and a newbie. I have around $500 total to play with, $50 of it will be for my ccw permit. That leaves $450 for gun, holster, etc. in my price range, what should I be looking at? Ruger LC9, S&W sd9 ve, Taurus milinium pro, etc? I know there are better guns out there such as a Sig or HK, but they are over budget. The goal here is edc and practice at the range, not to win a shooting contest. Thanks for the advice in helping me narrow down the choices for my first firearm.

With those price constraints, I would also be looking at the Ruger P-series autos, and Bersa Ultra Carry or BP9CC series.

I would not advise the LC9 or Millenium Pro as a first gun. Very small guns are specialized.

Note, Bersa magazines are on the expensive side.

With your budget you should look at the following:
    Sig P250C
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro
    Ruger SR9C
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    My recommendation would be to look at the CZ P-07 and the Bersa line. Both fall in your price range and are proven dependable guns.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by dbglock View Post
    Better hurry, I just heard from a reliable source that Obama's banning semi-auto's.
    And who is this "reliable source"?

Look into a SCCY GEN 2, 9MM. Compact, well built, nice looking, accurate and affordable.
    I bought mine new in box with 2-10 rnd mags for $230.
    Pay no attention to bashers, this is a great little gun.

Quote Originally Posted by godawgs82 View Post
    Kel Tec PF9 is a bargain. $275, 9mm, easily concealable.
    Im going to second this thought... will leave quite a bit for ammo and a decent holster.
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...+Polymer+Grips

Add a Remora holster, or pocket holster, you will be good to go.
    "6 P's of self defense "
    Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godawgs82 View Post
    Kel Tec PF9 is a bargain. $275, 9mm, easily concealable.
    I have a PF9 Kel Tec and it has been very reliable. New to guns ? Get a j frame revolver. I have been carrying for many years on duty and off duty. Besides the PF9 I carry a smith and Wesson 38 special model 642 most. Simple to use and the j frame will always be a top contender for CCW. I say get a revolver. Taurus made some small 38 also. Also look at used revolvers just don't buy someone's junk and stay away from cheap new guns. Would not go below in caliber 380acp and then again u can get something so big and heavy that u will get tried of hauling it around so give it a lot of thought as to not buying the first thing you see.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

Distinguished Member
    I've seen P250 on here a few times. I'll add to it. Good gun for the money now that SIG has seemly gotten the bugs worked out of it. Its a great gun if you want to build it as a base platform for different calibers. I really like it I have two complete guns, 9mm 2sum and the 9mm compact and have had great success with them. I did have to send the 2sum back for light primer strikes. Not knowing I bought a used gun, when I called Sig to have it fixed they said it was used and normally would not cover it. However they warrantied it anyway and completely exchanged every part of the gun which could be exchanged. I found the xchange kits online for about $250 and am planning on picking up a sub compact .45 soon. Good luck with your search.
    "Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!" - Marvin the Martian

Sig Sauer P250 2Sum 9mm, P250c 9mm - Glock 23 - Springfield Armory Loaded .45, XD Service 9mm - Ruger LCP, LCR, Smith & Wesson 638

NRA Member

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links