Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

This is a discussion on Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy With your budget you should look at the following: Sig P250C Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro Ruger SR9C Bersa BP9CC ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

BP9CC, inexpensive, thin, very reliable 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    With your budget you should look at the following:
    Sig P250C
    Bersa Thunder 9 Ultra Compact Pro
    Ruger SR9C
    Bersa BP9CC NIB < $350, Barrel Length:3.2", Overall Length:6.35", Width: 0.94", Ht: 4.8", Wt: 21.5oz, Capacity: 8+1, Finish: Matte Black, Loaded Chamber Indicator, MIL-1913 Picatinny Rail, Slide, Frame & Trigger Checkering, and Mag Catch Release.
    USMC/Army Ret, NRA/TSRA/TxCCA/USCCA/TX CHL; CA .40 Pitbull Revolver, XD40sc, PPQ40, Stoeger Cougar 8040F, Taurus PT745 Pro/PT140 Pro/TCP738FS, EMP9, M&P9c, G4G30 & G4G19 both w/TruGlo TFOs, Bersa BP9cc, KelTec PF9, 12 ga Mossberg 500 JIC Cruiser

2. Remove Ads

Check out some forum classifieds for used handguns. There are good deals out there to be found.
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Used Hand Guns

On a budget, looking at new guns seems unnecessary - you mentioned Glock in your first post. Above is a link for some used ones - there are plenty more out there.

Austin
    Nice find and price. I bought a G23 about 7yrs ago for about that price.

Just get a Houge slip on grip and holster and your in well off. After you have a few extra $$'s saved get a 3.5lb ghost rocket connector and some night sights.

Even though I have the G23 in .40, I'd recomend for the G19 from what you've mentioned.

Good luck with your search. Lot's of good recomendations here.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

Is the S&W SD9 VE a decent option for the money or is it cheap for a reason?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mwhartman View Post
    I've learned a lot from the members on DC. Additionally, I've learned that postings like this garner opinions that cover a wide range of options.

I realize you are on a budget. I suggest that you get to a range and ask some of the members if you can take a shot or two or try and rent one or two guns. While you may spend $50 or so the end result will be more beneficial. Just my two cents.
    Yep, you will have so much to figure out. Polymer or steel, which setup - SA, SA/DA, DAO, safety/no safety, sub-compact/compact/full size. Learn as much as you can, get your hands on everything you can and best, but not the easiest, shoot as many guns as you can. Like hartman said, ask people at the range if you can shoot a couple rounds of whatever they're shooting, everyone I've asked is more than happy to let me. Been able to shoot alot of different guns that way myself.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Re: Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

I have a sw9ve and love it. The pre 9ve models had a lot of problems but they fixed them with the 9ve. Ive probably put about 300 rounds through mine and not had a single problem. I also use mine for EDC with speer gold dot 124. Cant beat 17 rounds of that!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. " - Edmund Burke

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
    Is the S&W SD9 VE a decent option for the money or is it cheap for a reason?
    Had one, sold it a while ago, just to put the money towards better guns I would actually enjoy and use. Totally reliable and good pistol, just a really really long and heavy trigger. It's a little big for CC in my opinion.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Sure seems that folks love their Glocks, there must be something to them. LOL :)

You'd be surprised what you could find that fits your budget by checking out the classifieds on gun forums.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by miller_man View Post
    Had one, sold it a while ago, just to put the money towards better guns I would actually enjoy and use. Totally reliable and good pistol, just a really really long and heavy trigger. It's a little big for CC in my opinion.
    Are you referring to the old Sigma series or the newer SD series? I had read the SD had a much improved trigger and night sights. Still probably to big carry constantly either way.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Check these out, Very flat, single stack, 9mm, and built like a russian tank!

Norinco/ Tokarev mod. 213 9mm 9x19 : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

years back I carried a Egyptian model. Easy to carry, pointed well. it's 1911 size but thinner. DR

Quote Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n View Post
    Hello everyone. I am new to guns and I am learning what I can from reading. I am looking for my first handgun for legal concealed carry, home defense in an apartment, and fun practicing at the range. A Glock is nice but they start at $500. I am looking in to the total over all cost to own and shoot the gun. It seems that the 9mm is a good over all round for edc and a newbie. I have around $500 total to play with, $50 of it will be for my ccw permit. That leaves $450 for gun, holster, etc. in my price range, what should I be looking at? Ruger LC9, S&W sd9 ve, Taurus milinium pro, etc? I know there are better guns out there such as a Sig or HK, but they are over budget. The goal here is edc and practice at the range, not to win a shooting contest. Thanks for the advice in helping me narrow down the choices for my first firearm.
    My MP9 set up ( gun, all the stuff it came with and holster.) cost me a bit under 600 with taxes and i think it would be worth waiting and saving for.

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar

Carry Handgun

You mention Glock so I'd say save up the extra money you need and buy a new one.You are talking about a firearm
    that maybe used in a life or death event.Save up the extra money and buy a glock.I own the old sigma in 9mm,mine was a good one I've put a couple thousand rounds through it with zero failures! I had such good luck with the 9mm I purchased
    a 40s&w which turned out to be a lemon.This was my reason to spend the extra cash and buy a glock 17.I carry this one
    most of the time with my back up ruger lcp 380.This little pistol has no issues so far but I like revolver as back up too.
    There are excellent choices but if you have $500-$600 will open up all kinds choices.I notice you didn't have 1911 pistol
    in your selection.If you want bullet proof operation revolvers are an excellent choice.

Distinguished Member Array Toorop's Avatar
    Save up for the Glock. I don't think you will regret it.

The Bersa double stack 9mm pistols are great guns. You might also consider buying from Bud's online- they have a 90 day layaway. That's a good way to get a little more gun that you otherwise could afford if you had to lay out all the cash at once.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links