Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

This is a discussion on Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone. I am new to guns and I am learning what I can from reading. I am looking for my first handgun for legal ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

Quality semi auto on a small budget, advice wanted.

Hello everyone. I am new to guns and I am learning what I can from reading. I am looking for my first handgun for legal concealed carry, home defense in an apartment, and fun practicing at the range. A Glock is nice but they start at $500. I am looking in to the total over all cost to own and shoot the gun. It seems that the 9mm is a good over all round for edc and a newbie. I have around $500 total to play with, $50 of it will be for my ccw permit. That leaves $450 for gun, holster, etc. in my price range, what should I be looking at? Ruger LC9, S&W sd9 ve, Taurus milinium pro, etc? I know there are better guns out there such as a Sig or HK, but they are over budget. The goal here is edc and practice at the range, not to win a shooting contest. Thanks for the advice in helping me narrow down the choices for my first firearm.

2. Remove Ads

As I raved about in another post, I love my CZ75 P-07 Duty that I've had for about 90 days now. You should be able to pick one up for $380-$430 or so I would think.

Well, maybe $380 might be a bit low after looking over at gunbroker..........
    Last edited by boutaswell; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:33 AM. Reason: quick research
    Richard, SFC US Army (Ret)

“Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!” ― Patrick Henry

Senior Moderator
    The Taurus PT-111 is a decent gun but if you keep your eye out for a used Glock 19 (usually a Police trade-in) you can find one just as cheap as a new Taurus.

I would keep my eye out for a used S&W of Glock semi auto in 9mm, search Gun Broker
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Beretta Nano. Can be had for high 3's to low 4's and I enjoy mine.

Uncertain whether you have any maximum size/weight limits on the gun, but here's a search tool that can help narrow the choices a bit, at least for currently-available guns: Genitron Handgun Database.

Smith & Wesson built one heck of a good series of guns with their third-generation 3900, 5900 and 6900 pistols. Their second-gen pistols were also fairly well regarded. While no longer currently produced, there are a lot of them out there. They were good enough for police agencies around the country. And you can pick them up, pre-owned, for a "song" (relatively speaking), particularly when compared to the NIB pricing on many current guns. Example: S&W 3953 9mm DAO, ~$400; S&W 6904 9mm, ~$340; list of older S&W pistols (2G, 3G) @ World.Guns.ru, listing a variety of 9mm, .40S&W and .45ACP alternatives.

Check out the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro, as well. Given your budget, it might well be one of the better NIB options for you.

My personal recommendation would be for any of the CZ pistols (75, 75 Compact D PCR, P-01, P-06, P-07, 2075 RAMI). Extremely reliable, durable, well-made. The RAMI is reasonably concealable.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Don't over look SIG 250 compact. On sale at Academy for 399 now.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    I think you may have been a little quick to rule out Glock on price. We have a couple of Glock 26's, both of which were acquired for about $450. Regardless of what you choose, be sure to read many reviews when you start to narrow your field as some makes and models have reputations for quality troubles and can be hit or miss. If you are lucky enough to get one that works great, your good to go, but you can also get one that is a lemon.

Used Hand Guns

On a budget, looking at new guns seems unnecessary - you mentioned Glock in your first post. Above is a link for some used ones - there are plenty more out there.

Austin
    ksblazer likes this.

Aint noyhing wrong with the Ruger , check out the Kahr line as well

Kahr CM9. In your price range, accurate (even at longer distances), reliable (not one problem from first round), highly concealable, various holsters available, great construction (Kahrs have an excellent reputation among most), +P capable (shoots everything I have fed it-no failures), and carries 6+1 in mag included with pistol. Just my opinion, good luck.
    Best Regards,
    "Doc" aka Bill
    SLAINTE VAR!!

NMB
    Kahr or Ruger are in your price range if you want to buy new.

Glocks can be found used.

I would avoid Taurus and Kel-Tec. That is my personal opinion based on first hand experience with both.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

Keep in mind that the purchase price of the handgun will soon be over shadowed by the cost of ammo required to become proficent.
    MrsHB and blitzburgh like this.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Kel Tec PF9 is a bargain. $275, 9mm, easily concealable.
    Richard58 likes this.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

One of the reasons I am looking at the 9mm is the ammo cost over something like the 45acp. I want a quality self defense gun but also want to be able to afford to shoot it to stay in practice. LOL :)

There are many optios, but id stay away from the LC9 if you want to have any fun at the range. I have an XD for my ccw, but for a budget ccw and plinker check out SCCY CPX-2. Around $300 and American made.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links