Question about LEO sidearms - Page 2

Question about LEO sidearms

This is a discussion on Question about LEO sidearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My department issues G22's, G23's for those with smaller hands. Many carry a G27 off-duty and a lot of them have Keltec's for BUGs. Our ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My department issues G22's, G23's for those with smaller hands. Many carry a G27 off-duty and a lot of them have Keltec's for BUGs. Our department allows the person to carry whatever they want as long as it's .40 or .45 and they qualify with it. We also have requirements on how much ammo you need to carry in uniform and plainclothes. No requirements for off-duty but they can carry whatever they want but it's recommended that they carry something. Anything carried outside of the minimum is fair game as long as it's not an AK47 or something (those can stay in the car until needed lol). But, anything that's carried on-duty must be qualified with along with the required ammo (someone in the range of 30-40 rounds, can't remember specifically).

(Little note: The reason why I said person rather than LEO is because our department has people qualified that are not LEOs, including corrections officers. Only difference is that the CO's and the others aren't allowed to carry their department-issued weapon off-duty.)

Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave James View Post
    I have that choice now I'm retarted
    Dave I'm assuming you ment to type retired and the time of you post was a factor. I did get a chuckle out of it though.

And I will attempt to carry this weapon off duty. But I also plan to get a 9mm 239 and some form of pocket gun, ideally a Rohrbaugh R9. So I will had different sizes for mode of dress, occasion, temp, and threat level.

No I'm off to school.

Quote Originally Posted by soundwave View Post
    Only difference is that the CO's and the others aren't allowed to carry their department-issued weapon off-duty.)
    Wow, if ANYONE should be worried an after-hours encounter with an, ah, 'associate' from working hours, it's a corrections officer. Imprisonment is not known to foster positive feelings in the imprisonee upon release...

Heck, I get 24/7 carry, and 90% of our routine work involves non-violent fraud.

AX

Quote Originally Posted by Dakotaranger View Post
    .40TDA? How does it compare to the .40S&W or the 10mm?
    Heh..Roughly the same as .40 DAK!

DakotaRanger I believe he is talking about the action of the gun, not the caliber. I'm not sure but I believe he is talking about Sigs earlier example of a DAO. I have no experience with this action but I hear the DAK is a vast improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    Wow, if ANYONE should be worried an after-hours encounter with an, ah, 'associate' from working hours, it's a corrections officer. Imprisonment is not known to foster positive feelings in the imprisonee upon release...
    lol No kidding. One nice thing for our CO's is our state law (Arizona). Because they are detention officers that are qualified the same as our LEOs, they get a free pass for their CCW. (Believe me, they use it. ;O)

Cheers.

wouldn't that be covered by leosa?

Nope, as far as I understand LEOSA only applies to current/former LEOs. Our state law recognizes that firearms-qualified county detention officers have to go through the same exact qualifications as our LEOs, so as long as they go through their yearly qualifications they get to keep their CCW.

While our LEOs are in-state they don't even need a CCW, under state laws they're exempted whether on or off duty as long as they have their department and regular ID.

Cheers.

I apologize that this off topic. According to leosa signed by the President, leosa covers correctional officers as leo. Unless I'm way off base, you might want to check the statute.

Well, I know that the bill does in fact state that persons in charge of supervising the incarceration of criminals are considered LEOs under the bill, but our department requires that the COs go through DPS for a CCW. Maybe it's just our department lawyers or something, but as far as the bill shows, I'd agree with you.

Cheers.

EDIT! I just spoke with DPS on the phone and they said that the bill was intended for peace officers with arrest powers. Our COs (and most that I know of) don't have arrest powers so it doesn't apply to them. Gotta love federal legal precident. lol I think what it might have to do with is certain counties (like ones in California) have deputies in the jails that are peace officers assigned to the jail as corrections officers, but they're still full-power peace officers.
    Last edited by soundwave; October 13th, 2006 at 05:36 PM. Reason: updated info...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links