Question about LEO sidearms

This is a discussion on Question about LEO sidearms within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Do most LEO agencies issue full-size autos or the mide sized autos? I know Glocks are the most popular, but I'm specifically refering to Sig ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about LEO sidearms

Do most LEO agencies issue full-size autos or the mide sized autos? I know Glocks are the most popular, but I'm specifically refering to Sig 226/220s vs 229/228s. I have a DA/SA 220 and want to use it in the Academy (Austin PD doesn't issue sidearms), but I find myself wanting either a 9mm or 40 cal 226 or 229. Are the slightly smaller guns like the Glock 19/23 and Sig 229/228 issued in abundance or is it primarily their full-size counterparts?

I will carry the weapon off duty also and will probably carry it in an owb rig so the shorter barrel of the 229 will aid in off duty concealment. I have shot a 9mm 226, 40cal 229, 45acp 220, 357Sig 226, 9mm 239, 380 232. Lets face it they are all pretty accurate.

Also, will the Sig 220 stand up to the rigors of an LEO sidearm? I have heard of more frequent parts breakage in the 220 series over the other models.

Michigan State police use 226 in 40 Local use glock 22 or a sig 226

Here in Vermont, the State Police are issued Sig P229's in .40 TDA. They are currently in the process of turning them in for 229 DAK's.

Forgot to mention if I get either a 229 or 226 to use instead of my 220 I will be getting the DAK trigger.

Try to shoot one with a dakl trigger before you buy

Already did. A friend, who just graduated from the TX DPS academy, and I went shooting this weekend. I put about 50 rounds through his DAK 357 Sig 226 side by side with about 90 rounds through my DA/SA 220.

Does anyone see any advantages/disatvantages to carrying either a full-size or compact for both on and off duty use? Mag capacity, sight radius, concealability (off duty only), and weight are what comes to my mind. The are arguements for both sizes and I don't see 2 less rounds in 9mm or the same capacity in 40/357 any handicap. And both sizes of Sigs are very accurate. Smaller size can take higher capacity mags also.

So which is a better idea for a LEO on & off duty sidearm?

For a uniformed position, I'd carry a full-size on duty, and carry a subcompact of the same make (same manual-of-arms, roughly the same ergonomics) off-duty. And I'd own a mid-sized frame, too, if I had the cash, for when the occasion warrants.

I work in plain clothes, and my agency 1) does not allow us to carry anything other than our issued weapon 2)is vague about its policy re: HR 218, so I carry my 229 both on and off duty. I'd sure like the option to carry something smaller when I'm not working. Not that I can't easily conceal the 229, mind you.

AX

Edit: to answer your question in clearer terms, most LEOs in uniform carry a full-size on duty; plainclothes LEOs generally carry a mid-size.
    Last edited by AgentX; October 10th, 2006 at 12:31 AM.

On duty I personally feel that there is no reason to not have a full size pistol. At the same time, I wouldnt like the idea of having to carry a full size pistol for ccw.
    Beretta 92FS

Senior Member Array cockedlocked01's Avatar
    I work for a S. California agency. I'm not issued a firearm, but I definitely would carry a full size model on uniform patrol. I would & do carry a sub-compact firearm for plain-clothes & off duty carry. Using the same make's firearms, but smaller models for plain-clothes &/or off-duty is probably the best way to go because of weapon familiarity.

Having said that, I carried a S&W centennial as a back-up when I worked uniform patrol. I carried a Sig 226 (9mm) & later a Glock 21 (.45) on patrol. I later carried a Glock 26, & currently carry a Kahr PM9 for off-duty carry.

I won't have to use it for both on and off duty. If I don't switch to a 226 or 229 and I use my 220 I will buy a 9mm 239 for off duty carry. If I get a 226 I will do the same, but if I buy a 229 I will likely use it for both roles.

I would sugest you take the 226 and the 229 to the range, fire a couple of 10round groups at the 25mts/75ft distance; carry the one with the best groupings.

If your PD makes you buy your firearm, have an alternate (as close, if not the same as your primary) ready for duty at all times, in case you have to turn in your primary to ballistics/repairs/etc.

My 2 cents.

South of Ol' Tascosa, two miles from water, twenty miles from Hell
    I carried a Sig P220 for bea coup years as a Federal Officer. I was the Police Armorer for the subdivision of the Agency I worked for. I worked on Sig P220s, P226s, P229s and Sig P230/232s. Other than replacing springs on the maintenance schedule, nada problems.
    I carried the 220 with +P Loads, shot it in quals with +P loads and never had a problem. Lots of rounds down range with this gun. I was also issued a 9mm 226 cause we got thousands and thousands and thousands of 9mm surplus US Military 9mm to shoot.

No problems with either gun or the P230 I carried as a BUG.

Jungle Work
    Graduate: University of South Vietnam-
    School of Jungle Warfare

CURRAHEE My Brothers In Blood

Glock 22 for uniform duty with a G27 BUG, just the G27 off duty. Then the G27 with the G22 magazines when I went plain clothes.
    Dept. now has G35 w/ G27 BUG

+1 for AgentX

That said a SIG229 would fill both roles nicely, and is an excellent gun.
    Last edited by Devone6; October 10th, 2006 at 08:20 PM.

74,, my department{retired} started off back in 94-95 issuing SIG's and they went with the 226,, then had the short triggers installed, then went to DAO, and then down to the 228 same set up,, then to the 229DAK the year I punched out .

All due to the liabilty and worry over the Disabilty Act.and women on the force who couldn't or wouldn't use the large framed weapons..

Now IMO if you are looking for a dual purpose weapon the 228/229 framed model is the way to go,,lets face facts packing off duty in the Texas heat is going to be a ROYAL PAIN,, I have carried on and off a 226/220 for years, but admit when the weather gets nasty here in VA. I switch over to the T-9 Khar,,, but I have that choice now I'm retarted

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LTPhoon View Post
    Here in Vermont, the State Police are issued Sig P229's in .40 TDA. They are currently in the process of turning them in for 229 DAK's.
    .40TDA? How does it compare to the .40S&W or the 10mm?
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links