"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun? - Page 2

"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

This is a discussion on "High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tried frog lube and never looked back . Personally I like the stuff , it doesn't stink,,cleans up easy after range time, doesn't leave an ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: "High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

Tried frog lube and never looked back . Personally I like the stuff , it doesn't stink,,cleans up easy after range time, doesn't leave an oily residue and does not attract dirt. I live in the desert :) and it's food grade ! Works great for chap stick and smells good too . Was a CLP guy and hopps ..... A small tub of the paste goes a long way . Your mileage may vary . Lots of choices here, that's the good thing .:)

I have been using plain old CLP for as long as I can remember on my hand guns on my long guns in the summer in the winter never any issue.
    I just do not see what lube you use as making any difference at all

ARs like to be run wet, and they aren't super fussy about which lube. To wit, my favorite training elf (Mr. Rogers, of EAG notoriety) is shown below with a lube he often uses to prove the point in his carbine courses.
    For my carbines, I like Slip 2000 but my basic go-to lube is BreakFree CLP.

For my autoloading pistols, here in the AZ heat most oils either migrate due to gravity or the carrier evaporates. So for sliding surfaces, I use Slide Glide of the 'medium' formulation on sliding surfaces like barrel bushings and slide rails, and oil just on rotating surfaces like pins.

And of course the Garand gets grease, per design, like Lubriplate or Militec.
    Attached Images
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Administrator
    I love WeaponShield as a CLP. (Cleans Lubricates Protects) it's all that I use. No more Hoppes #9 for me.
    ckfarris likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

Magna Lube (it's not as dirty as it sounds.) I got a free sample from the company. I really like it.!

I never heard of FrogLube but I an going to try it. This is what is great about this forum.... learning from others!
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

I am a newb, but my uncle has shot on a range target team for atleast 10 years, when I called him to ask him what all I need for my LCP 380 he said to buy G-6 lube (synthetic) or use synthetic 2 stroke motor oil. His test is to fill a cap full and leave it out over night in freezing temps (or put it in the freezer) and see if is tacky when cold...
    Tacky is BAD, Flammable is BAD... Two stroke Clotts motor oil is good to -10 degrees or more and isn't flammable untill a sustained temp of 700+ degrees...
    If your putting your pistol to 700+ degrees F then you have more to worry about then viscosity break down...

After my CLP is empty I am buying nothing but two stroke synthetic oil. 1 qt is a few bucks at most!!

A little bit of graphite lube is all I've ever used for the slide. It isn't the cleanest stuff, but it stays in place and I've never had a problem after thousands and thousands of rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Mobile 1 Synthetic 50w works fine in my EDCs. IMHO, my EDC is more closely looked-after than ANY combat firearm. So I'm not as concerned about using high-tech, high-end gun lube on it. There's always gonna' be the newest, latest & greatest technologies featuring nano, mil-spec, whiz-bang lubricant compounds that I can't possibly pronounce. Yet if my handgun runs flawlessly with no internal/external corrosion then I'm not sure what advantage I'm going to gain using $25 per ounce wonder-lubes.
    Hey Ghost, do you use the Mobil synthetic 50W on slide rails?
    NRA Life Member

I've been using Weapon Shield grease on my gun and really like it. It is eventually up to you to find one you like and run with it.

I've used Militec, a bit. Back in the 1990's, I used the Wilson's lube (grease and oil) for years. But for general usage, I've found that CLP with the occasional "deep" cleaning of the barrel/guts with a higher-intensity cleaner works just fine. For me, while there did appear to be some improvements in lubricity and reduction of gunge with the higher-end stuff I've used, it wasn't enough to be an absolute must-have. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I have a Sig P226 that I generally shoot weekly and clean every time. I remove all lube and reapply after each outing, not because I have to but because I enjoy cleaning them! I bought a $10 0.5 oz tube of mil-com TW25b and it lasted about 9 months. Funnily enough, it just ran out tonight! Fortunately I also bought a 1.5oz tube of lube to refill the syringe with, also for about $10. So, for about $20 I have about 3 years of lube.

My experience with gun oil was not good with the P226. After leaving in the gun safe I found that the oil migrated downwards, and after firing a lot I found excessive wear on the slide/rail. I think there is a reason that Sig includes a sample of Mil-comm grease with their new guns, and I have found it to be excellent. It does not migrate and it is ALWAYS there after firing a lot (including a weekend of firing 400 rounds a day), and the wear on the rails has stopped.

I fully respect everyone that has found basic motor oil to work for them, but I think that $20 for several years of grease (more if you are not OCD like me) is a good insurance policy for my $900 weapon.

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    One of the high end pistol makers (I mean HIGH end) bottles Castrol Synthetic 40w oil, sells it for about $8 - $10 for a 4 oz. bottle, with that company's name on it (geez, I am in the wrong business....). I use Castrol Synthetic or, as O2R1 put it - Mobil 1 synthetic. You just can't beat synthetic motor oil!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I can't say that I've ever noticed any real difference in reliability between CLP, Hoppe's #9, and Frog Lube. That said, I've started running Frog Lube on my pistols simply because I like the way that it stays where I put it. Like the other posters have said, I honestly that just about any oil will work for a quality AR or quality modern polymer pistol...but for the small amount that I actually use every time that I clean a pistol, I'll pay the slightly higher price to use a lubricant that stays where I put it and is a little bit easier to work with. I'm also a little OCD about my firarms - it's very rare that I don't clean them as soon as I get home after firing them, even if I've only put 50 or so rounds through them.

Push come to shove, I'd buy a lubricant that I wasn't crazy about and use a solvent that I actually like before I did it the other way around. Some of the solvents out there are just unpleasant to work with.

Like another poster stated about his Garand, there's always an exception to the rule...my M14's get nothing but bargain-basement white moly grease applied out of a curved-tip plastic syringe. YUMMY!

i use clp, thinking of switching to some type of grease, any suggestion on grease?
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links