"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun? - Page 3

"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

This is a discussion on "High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; White Lithium Grease from the auto parts store at about $7 for a lifetime supply works well for me. Or if you want to go ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: "High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

Distinguished Member Array matthew03's Avatar
    White Lithium Grease from the auto parts store at about $7 for a lifetime supply works well for me. Or if you want to go all spendy with "name brand" gun grease, $20 + for a small tube.

When I was a kid I used to sneak the Singer Sewing Machine oil out of my mother's sewing machine to lube my guns. All these years later I'm still using simple light machine oil...and still getting complete satisfaction with some of those same guns I was shooting when I was a kid and that's beginning to scare 40 years ago.
    Jgriner likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

When I first got my handgun, I bought a cheap cleaning kit that came with Hoppes #9 and lube. As far as I know it did its job but the bottle of the lube didn't do it's job and it leaks, so I looked on Amazon and bought some Break Free CLP.

I like the idea of a 3 for 1, doing everything in one fell swoop instead of several.

I personally use:

To clean barrel/bore: Hoppe's #9 & a bore snake...

To clean entire firearm: Birchwood Casey sythetic safe gun scrubber (aerosal, it literally blasts away powder residue and makes cleaning small places such as gas tubes a dream)

To lubricate: Breakfree LP ( Just the LP, as in lubrication & protection. I don't like a wonder all clean & lubricate products as they tend to dry out faster. Those "cleaner" properties don't do much to help lubrication I'm sure)
    Jgriner likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I personally use:

To clean barrel/bore: Hoppe's #9 & a bore snake...

To clean entire firearm: Birchwood Casey sythetic safe gun scrubber (aerosal, it literally blasts away powder residue and makes cleaning small places such as gas tubes a dream)

To lubricate: Breakfree LP ( Just the LP, as in lubrication & protection. I don't like a wonder all clean & lubricate products as they tend to dry out faster. Those "cleaner" properties don't do much to help lubrication I'm sure)
    Clp only comes in lp?????
    thats the one thing i hate about clp is its a one in all oil, i clean my gun with hopps 9 and and just use clp as a lub.
    "The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."Thomas Jefferson
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."Thomas Jefferson

High-end, low-end, they all work the same. Breakfree is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jgriner View Post
    Clp only comes in lp?????
    thats the one thing i hate about clp is its a one in all oil, i clean my gun with hopps 9 and and just use clp as a lub.
    It sure does:

You can get it pretty much any where, Brownells..Midway and such.

BreakFree is the brand and they manufacture many products such as CLP, LP, COLLECTOR, Gun cloths etc.
    Jgriner likes this.

The list of lubes that DON'T work would be alot shorter than the list of those that do. Personally, I've grown accustomed to use just Hornady One-Shot lube on all my semi-auto's, especially on thost that I carry often. I got tired of trying to keep shirt fuzz and/or pocket lint from collecting on oiled or greased surfaces. Dry lubes solved that problem and the gun seems to run cleaner for longer when I do take it out to the ranges.

"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

A friend of mine bought frog lube and put some on my pistol before we went shooting. The stuff works great! He told me that when you start shooting, the heat causes the lube to work even better cause it makes it stick that much better

NMB
    Also, I dont see 10$ for a 4oz container of Frog Lube thats lasted me 6 months (im maybe 1/5th of the way through it) as "High End".

FrogLube CLP Paste
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

I usually just use Hoppes #9 to bust up the big clods of crud, squirt 'em with non-chlorinated Wally World brake cleaner and then q-tip around the innards as needed with Mobil 1. Occasionally still use Breakfree but honestly I don't think it matters much what lube one uses. I bet my damn old Glocks would run fine with the oil that has dripped out on my garage floor and applied with a twig.

cj
    Not sure if you'd consider it 'high end', but I've been using Gunzilla without problems lately.
    Philly Boy likes this.

Question for the CLP users...

What do you for the slide specifically? Same stuff?

The gentleman I bought my Sigs from said that 50W motor oil would do just fine and will be much cheaper and last longer.

RAL
    Quote Originally Posted by llmstratocaster View Post
    Question for the CLP users...

What do you for the slide specifically? Same stuff?
    Same stuff for everything - FrogLube.
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links