"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

This is a discussion on "High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm considering testing out some of the higher end lubricants, Like Slip 2000, militec, etc. Anyone have any experience with these types of lubricants? (hoping ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: "High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

Sponsor

"High End" Lubricants for your Carry Gun?

I'm considering testing out some of the higher end lubricants, Like Slip 2000, militec, etc. Anyone have any experience with these types of lubricants? (hoping to find a good one to use on all of my firearms)

Thanks,
    Clay

2. Remove Ads

No experience with the high end stuff, yet. I've heard about this stuff called FrogLube in a Ruger forum and it got some good comments on it.

I use Brian Enos' "Slide Glide" on the rails of all of my pistols having stainless slide w/aluminum alloy frames.

NMB
    Frog lube on everything for me. (AR, 1911, Glock 19)

Not so much because it works better than oil, but it stays put and doesnt seem to dry up out here in the hot New Mexico climate.

It does make cleaning seem a little easier though.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

mobil 1 synthetic motor oil on all my guns. those $10+ gun lube can't touch motor oil..

I don't know whose post to quote! I use both Frog Lube and Slide Glide. They are the best I have come across, and I can't decide which I like better.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

mkh
    I use the grease/lube that comes with my Sigs. I have also issued a Mobile 1 grease but it has aping color to it that looks weird on the gun. On the plus side though it is about $6 dollars for a can and it will last a lifetime.

I mean no offense to anyone who uses the high end lubes, but it seems to me that they are a solution to a nonexistent problem. There are many "low end" oils and lubes that do a fantastic job. For instance I know someone who hasn't done a full cleaning on his AR and just lubes it with regular gun oil and hasn't had any failures in thousands of rounds.
    Dcasandman likes this.

Automatic Transmission Fluid is about as high end as I get.

This is one of those threads that will net you a bunch of different opinions. The fact that everyone's choice seems to work should tell you something - I'm just not sure how much it matters, unless you are in extreme hot/cold/dusty conditions.

I use grease (TW-25B) because it stays put. I cannot even tell you when I bought my tube - a little goes a looooong way. My late father-in-law gave me a bottle of "G-Lube" (still sold on Glockmeister's website) that looks like it might be ATF. It has a small, long tube on the bottle that makes getting lube into tighter places easier. I've had it for years.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    I mean no offense to anyone who uses the high end lubes, but it seems to me that they are a solution to a nonexistent problem. There are many "low end" oils and lubes that do a fantastic job. For instance I know someone who hasn't done a full cleaning on his AR and just lubes it with regular gun oil and hasn't had any failures in thousands of rounds.
    i laugh when i see buddies with $15+ lube and it doesn't even last long either. my quart of motor oil is only 1/4 emptied and it's been like almost 3 years. Cost only $5. Of course i was told motor oil isn't as good. LOL!

RAL
    Love FrogLube! No gloves needed, nice smell, cuts down on future crud sticking, don't have to worry about ventilating, and my hands look as nice as my gun when I'm done! LOL

FrogLube cleans, lubes, and protects (CLP). It does it all, all at the same time along with being pleasant to work with. A little goes a long way!
    Last edited by RAL; December 4th, 2012 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Additional info
    I know Whose I am. I know where I'm going. I know the job I'm to do while I'm here. I am an ambassador. This is not my home.

Evil prospers when good people to do nothing. Please don't turn your back. ACT!

Mobil 1 Synthetic 50w works fine in my EDCs. IMHO, my EDC is more closely looked-after than ANY combat firearm. So I'm not as concerned about using high-tech, high-end gun lube on it. There's always gonna' be the newest, latest & greatest technologies featuring nano, mil-spec, whiz-bang lubricant compounds that I can't possibly pronounce. Yet if my handgun runs flawlessly with no internal/external corrosion then I'm not sure what advantage I'm going to gain using $25 per ounce wonder-lubes.
    Last edited by ghost tracker; December 3rd, 2012 at 11:47 PM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I use Mobil 1 and Frog lube..

Frog Lube is great. I looked it up on the internet, and there are claims I can't verify, like higher bore velocity, but for effective lubrication that stays put, and for making it easy to just wipe dust off of metal surfaces in dry, dusty environments, it's the best thing I've ever used. It made me wonder how we used CLP as long as we did.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links