Slide bite from my G23

This is a discussion on Slide bite from my G23 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The last few times at the range I have gotten bitten on the meaty part of my hand between my thumb and index finder. I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Slide bite from my G23

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar

Slide bite from my G23

The last few times at the range I have gotten bitten on the meaty part of my hand between my thumb and index finder. I dont notice any change in my grip. This happen to anyone else?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    My Glock 30 dang near ripped my thumb off on the first shot. Being a revolver guy shooting the big magnums, I wrapped my thumb around the grip like I normally would. It only took one shot to learn the difference in grip holds! It sounds like you'd shifted your hold somehow. The Glock isn't going to change. Maybe your shooting hand put on a few pounds?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've never had that problem with my G23 although I've had a Beretta M9 'bite' me good a few times. Sounds like your grip is too 'high', but I'm guessing.

Did you add a grip laser or 'Hoage'-type grip sleeve?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    I've never had that problem with my G23 although I've had a Beretta M9 'bite' me good a few times. Sounds like your grip is too 'high', but I'm guessing.

Did you add a grip laser or 'Hoage'-type grip sleeve?

No but I think I'm gonna put a Hoage on it.
    goldshellback likes this.

VIP Member
    Yup! My G19 does the same thing.

Let me guess. You have large, beefy hands?

I tried out a Grip Force adaptor and haven't looked back. It is essentially an add-on beaver-tail. This completely eliminates slide bite.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Yup! My G19 does the same thing.

Let me guess. You have large, beefy hands?

I tried out a Grip Force adaptor and haven't looked back. It is essentially an add-on beaver-tail. This completely eliminates slide bite.

Just checked those out and looks like it may be the ultimate solution. Thanks for the info!

Only times I've ever seen slide bite is when a gun either has no offset between the grip and slide,or when somebody wraps their support hand around their gun hand with the thumb over the back,I've seen people at the range start to shoot like that and warn them before they get a lesson in pain
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Yes and yes. Curious what kind of grip you are using?

I've been shooting USPSA for 6-7 years now. The first time I shot production several years ago, I suffered the bite. This time back in production, I was bitten for a while, especially table starts. I'm a high grip, thumbs forward guy with big hands. The support hand is as high as I can get it and sometimes causes the thumb knuckle to catch the left side of the slide. Getting my elbows a little higher during a freestyle grip, caused the bite to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Simonsay View Post
    Yes and yes. Curious what kind of grip you are using?

I've been shooting USPSA for 6-7 years now. The first time I shot production several years ago, I suffered the bite. This time back in production, I was bitten for a while, especially table starts. I'm a high grip, thumbs forward guy with big hands. The support hand is as high as I can get it and sometimes causes the thumb knuckle to catch the left side of the slide. Getting my elbows a little higher during a freestyle grip, caused the bite to go away.

I brace my index finger of my support hand on the trigger guard for better control for follow up shots. There is very little contact between the shooting hand and support hand.

Are you getting the double skid marks, from both sides of the slide or just one? Just remember, you want to get as high on the gun as possible with both hands but not get bit. I'm not a fan of the finger on the TG method but thats another subject.

Are you getting bit when you just casually pick up the gun, have time to get everything like you want, like playing at the range... or is it more when doing drills or draws? Either way you might try some grip tape high on the backstrap as a reference point, and contact the webbing there first, then roll you strong hand into the grip. After a while you can probably ditch the tape. Good luck

Take a picture of your grip while holding the gun. I've never had that happen.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special
    Walther P22 - LMT STD 16
    Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield
    Mossberg 500B - Marlin 336Y

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My Glock 30 dang near ripped my thumb off on the first shot. Being a revolver guy shooting the big magnums, I wrapped my thumb around the grip like I normally would. It only took one shot to learn the difference in grip holds!
    Been there, done that (with my Ruger SR9c)...my first auto. Been shooting a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 magnum for years. I too almost lost my left thumb. Bleeds like a bugger...hence I now carry a better first aid kit with me. Fortunately, I had a few bandaids in the glove box...was too stubborn to go get stitches, but probably should have. Now I have a wad of scar tissue making a lump on the knuckle. It works and doesn't hurt anymore, but...
    Ace
    Gotta Fly or Gonna Die

Cool

Never had that problem.

I have Hogue or Pachmayr grip sleeves on all my Glocks for comfort and a better grip though.

I have large hands.

photo.jpg
    click image to enlarge....

FlaRon
    "When the people fear the government there is tyranny. When the government fears the people there is liberty". T. Jefferson

II Timothy 1:7 God has not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, love and a sound mind.

2xR

Slide bite from my G23

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    ...I tried out a Grip Force adaptor and haven't looked back. It is essentially an add-on beaver-tail. This completely eliminates slide bite.

BINGO! I have them on all my Glocks!!!

Sent from my iPhone 5 - using Tapatalk.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    never had that problem but you might want to try a grip force adapter. When you order one you actually get two..GRIP FORCE ADAPTERS
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links