Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power - Page 2

Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power

This is a discussion on Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I still like the airweight J frame for carry in coat pocket, esp light weight coat. The SP 101 is a nice revolver, I have ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power

I still like the airweight J frame for carry in coat pocket, esp light weight coat. The SP 101 is a nice revolver, I have one in 3" barrel, but for extended carry I like a belt holster.

I like where you're at, everything makes sense, everything has it's purpose and place.
    I turned 50 this year, I'm not willing to call myself an old man quite yet but mornings remind me I'm not a kid anymore! I've got many years of carry under my belt as well - military, civilian, LE - and I'm still on the job and will be for a while. I own quite a few handguns but really only carry four - duty piece is a FNP45 Tactical with a Trijicon RMR02 mini red dot sight, off duty is a custom Colt 1991A1 Compact (basically the same gun as your OM), BUG is a custom 9mm scandium S&W J frame, general use-carry in the woods-work around the property gun is a lightly customized S&W 327 Night Guard (8 shot .357 mag! Oh yeah!). Obviously, I like my guns the way I like my guns and it's hard to find something that fits right out of the box, so I have them modified to fit my needs/wants/taste. Just about everything I buy ends up spending time with my favorite 'smith. I also prefer two basic platforms - 1911s and variants and DAO S&W revolvers - guess we get picky in our old age, but I like what I like. When I'm done working the FNP will continue to do nightstand duty and my carry needs will be filled by the other three.

FNP45 Tactical-

Colt 1991A1 Compact-

S&W 360J 9mm-

S&W 327 night Guard-
    STALKER37_19D likes this.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Colt 1991A1 Compact-

^^ THAT is a thing of beauty! Nice piece, WC!
    old grunt likes this.

This being my 21st year as a NRA Cert. Firearms Instructor, I still lean toward my .45acp's .....whether it be my Gov't Models, Combat Commander or Glock 30sf.........the round has a history and proven record.....don't care much for the 9mm's although I do at times carry a "J" Frame also.

Quote Originally Posted by STALKER37_19D View Post
    Colt 1991A1 Compact-

I'd be interested to know the story on the finish treatment of the Colt Officer's Model. It looks like a major melt and polish job followed by a very good blueing. Do you know who did it and what it cost?
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Colt 1991A1 Compact-
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I'd be interested to know the story on the finish treatment of the Colt Officer's Model. It looks like a major melt and polish job followed by a very good blueing. Do you know who did it and what it cost?
    The gun got Clark Custom Guns Meltdown package back in '98. I had few other little things done along with the polish and reblue this past spring, the refinishing work was done by Dietrich Gunsmithy on Otis, ME Dietrich Gunsmithy - Home.

Clarks doesn't take outside 1911 work anymore, though a Meltdown package done on your gun was around $900 before they stopped. They will still build you a full or commander size (they don't do compacts anymore) Meltdown from scratch using a Caspian frame and slide. They start at something like $2225.

Dietrichs hand checkered the frontstrap, fitted a new S&A MSH, notched the front sight and made a brass insert for it, bead blasted and blued the sights, did an 11deg crown and polished the barrel, removed the roll marks from the slide, polished the slide/frame/small parts and blued everything. It was right about $550 for the work they did, including parts.
    “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never—in nothing, great or small, large or petty—never give in, except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.”

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    Hang in there wait till you see the changes when you pass 70

mkh
    I'm only 6 years older and have been carry for about as long as you but took a break when the kids were young. Seemed the right move at the time but now looking back I ask myself why.

Only revolver I still have is my S&W mod. 66 from my LEO days. Today my carry weapon varies some. Sometimes it's my Sig 1911 Ultra Compact but most times it's either the P229 in 9mm or the P220. Depends on where I am going and how safe the environment is. All my other guns are mostly safe queens.

Funny how perspectives change as you get older.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    WC145's Colt 1991A1 Compact-...

Can you imagine that baby wearing nickel!?
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

How do you figure "almost 50" is old? I'd probably call you "Sonny", lol.[/QUOTE] It's not the model - it's the mileage.

There's room in the world for all kinds of handguns. A good gun is a simple joy, whether a wonderpoly or old steel. If it works and you shoot it well it can have a stall in the stable. Remember the "old timers" when the wondernines were all the rage in the mid-80's? Cautioning against the pray and spray mindset that the hicap guns would lead to. Carrying a five-shot .357 keeps hitting what you're shooting in the back of your mind...and I love shooting the SP101, too.

Colt 1991A1 Compact-

************************************************** ************************************************** *****
    WC145: THAT is one BEAUTIFUL Colt.....my OM is 1st year production,flat black finish and has done the Wilson,Heinie,Siles and EGW pitstops since 1987. She shoots but even with sexy lingerie is not as pretty as your gal!(LOL)
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

I work with kids younger than my paratrooper son(who just turned 20)..so OLD GUY fits even though I could probably whip most of their asses and outrun(for a short distance) the ones who might give me a challenge(LOL). However, I'm NOT old in the head and that's what really counts! Thanks guys for all the kind words. Some like minded gunslingers out there!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links