Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power

This is a discussion on Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I approach the magic age of 50 with almost 30 years of carrying handguns under my belt, I've experimented,been forced(Uncle Sam and LE)to carry ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar

Old Guys+Old School=Portable Power

As I approach the magic age of 50 with almost 30 years of carrying handguns under my belt, I've experimented,been forced(Uncle Sam and LE)to carry and stumbled on platforms that fit me. By and large BIG Autos and SMALL Revolvers have gone "bye" from my EDC collections or now reside in the safe. A prime example is my Colt Government Series 70...I'll NEVER get rid of it, but it'll probably only get pressed into service in a Zombie scenario or as a "BBQ Gun" if a transplanted NY'er is allowed to have one! My Smith J-Frames are long gone. They served as off-duty guns in my pre-Glock job days. No beef with them..but I chose NOT to go that way when I purchased a revolver again in 2011. I instead went with an SP101 2.25" in 357 and it's carried loaded with 38Spl+P's with a Hogue Monogrip. NOT super concealable like a J-frame..but much more shootable! That's what it's all about ain't it? In the Auto department..I mix it up. I'll carry my Colt OM with Wilson Combat 6 rd mags loaded with either 200gr CCI Lawman(still have some)"Flying Ashtrays" or any one of the quality 230gr JHP's. A 230gr hardball can also be found in this weapon on occasion. They work! When it's 9mm time...I went [I]slightly [I]bigger..going from my G26 to my old duty gun the Glock 19. Load those with a quality 124 or 147 +P HP and the "Austrian Framing Hammer" never fails to go BANG! So all in all...THREE guns handle ALL my EDC needs. The Ruger is usually on my person walking around the house. My neighborhood is great..but bad guys have been known to go to nice places looking to do their thing. Out and about the Glock does about 80-85% of my Auto EDC work with the Colt OM my "winter gun" here in mid-West Georgia. NOT rocket science ,but good solid platforms IMHO that work for me. I hope I made sense. What do you guys think??
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

2. Remove Ads

Brilliant!
    Love all your choices.....except I personally like the Glock 26 better for concealment (vs G19)...
    Ruger is heavy for 5 rounds....but I used to carry one, and will again!

Distinguished Member Array old grunt's Avatar
    Thanks wheely...appreciate it!
    "We deal in lead friend">Steve McQueen The Magnificent Seven
    82d Abn(1983-86)OIF 2007-08
    Glock 19&26/ Colt Gov't & OM/Ruger SP101
    Retired NYS LEO / NRA Life Member
    Still Love Ya Sarah !
    "no kidding,gun slinging,spurs hitting the floor"

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    YEs, same thing with me..30 years..LE, and Sec. work..

I'm on a 9mm and .357 kick right now.

Glock 32, CZ RAMI in 9mm (because they don't make a .357 SIG) and a KLCR .357 snub.

Next up will be a Gen 4 Glock 33 after they are officially released.

Ammo from Double Tap or Speer suits me fine as well.
    www.czforum.com

Go RED SOX!

All of your aforementioned choices once had their place & their purpose. I know your logic 'cause I'm your age with as many years of pistol packing. What I find MOST interesting is that we've both run the l-o-n-g gauntlet, only to end up in (almost) the same spot. My G19 gets packed most often. My (custom) .357 sig BHP gets the "Special Duty", and a LOT of handguns...collect dust in the safe.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Can't find much to argue with, though some of my preferences are just a bit different. But of course, isn't that what makes this such a great hobby?

Nice post old grunt.

i think I'm a lot like you, when it comes to CC.

I have a collection of handguns. Tried carrying some for a while and they just didn't work out for one reason or another. Now days my top 4 are Glock 23, 26, .45 Colt Defender and snub .38's. The snub is usually a 2nd gun. But I have used my snub .38 as my main carry also. It just depend on the time of year and the way I'm dressed.

The rest of my pistols are under lock and key and only come out when I go to the range.
    "Get rid of that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a GLOCK"

VIP Member
    Never been a fan of Glocks but if they work for you then all the better, as for your other choices they do work for me also. I do like the J frames but find my K frame Model 19 2 inch to be so much accurate for me and just as easy to conceal.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    I don't own a Glock but the SP101 hugs me all day!
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

I like your choices

If you are an old guy at 50 I'm not sure what that makes me - I guess very old. But I tend to agree with your selection of Colt 45 autos, Glocks and snubby revolvers for carry. These are all good choices and known for reliability, which is the most important consideration in a carry gun. If it won't go bang every time it can cause big problems.

You mentioned specific models of these types of guns as your favorites. I currently use slightly different models of the same gun types, as shown below:

Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I don't mix trigger or funtion type for a defence pistol. I can see going from a glock 26 to a larger model but never a 1911 to glock to a revolver. But thats just me. I have changed carry guns over 26 years of CC'n but only from a DA revolver to a DA type pistol with my kahrs. I do like 124gr +P ammo and use only GD bullets.

LORDY!!! At "almost 50" you are calling yourself old...SIGHhhhh....Oh well, let me brush the gray hair outa my eyes and just say, if YOU are happy with your choices, that's all that counts...

I too put the majority of my EDC time and trust into my G19 and G26...However, for those unusual, special, or quick grab occasions, I do have a nice lil S&W 642 Airweight or a Ruger LCP to slip into my pocket. JMO
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Mmmmm.... Ruger SP101.... Do want. Good choice! My buddy has one. I ABSOLUTELY love shootin' that thing. Very satisfying!

GH
    I'm retired Military & retired armed security so now I stick to .40 cal. Since WI just got a CC law a year ago & I gave my Glock 23 (my old duty gun) to my son before I ever dreamed we'd have concealed carry all I could afford was a S&W Sigma 40VE, a Glock 23 clone. It was cheap but nevertheless very reliable & the stiffer trigger doesn't bother me in the least. It shoots every time I squeeze the trigger, ejects every time, & shoots accurately. I still want a Glock 23 & am saving up for one. I know someone who wants my Sigma at a good price (for me - about the same that I paid for it) . I'd definitely settle for a G19. When (if) I'm ever able to afford it I'd like a smaller gun like a G27 but a Glock 19/23 size is no problem for me to conceal.

How do you figure "almost 50" is old? I'd probably call you "Sonny", lol.
    old grunt likes this.
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Operations Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

Great choices. I'm the same age group, military, LE, and understand completely.

These days, for me, it's j frames for pocket, medium frame revolver for carry, or if I feel like I want an auto, it's the Colt 1911 or Glock.

Lately I have been eyeing a 3 inch 686 plus. And I'll finally give in and get it. I'm too easy:)
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links