10mm

10mm

This is a discussion on 10mm within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Would like to hear opinions from folks who have really wrung out a 10mm in a competitive or training context. I'd be especially interested in ...

Thread: 10mm

10mm

Would like to hear opinions from folks who have really wrung out a 10mm in a competitive or training context. I'd be especially interested in hearing from folks who have evaulated 10mm in a shorter-barreled firearm, such as a G20 or a Combat Commander-sized weapon. Were the handling and performance characteristics substantially different from those that you observed/experienced with a similar weapon in .45 ACP?

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Partial answer

You asked for a contrast between .45ACP and 10mm. I have Colt Gold Cups in these two calibers - both are steel guns with 5 inch barrels and identical ergonomics. I find that the recoil feels roughly the same with these two calibers, with one exception. The 10mm seems "quicker" in cycling than the .45. I suppose this results from the higher muzzle velocity of the 10mm and the fact that the bullet exits the barrel sooner than the .45 bullet.

I am generally using "normal" ammo in both calibers - nothing with +P pressures or extra heavy loads. The .45 bullets are 230 grains, and the 10mm bullets are 180 grains.

Exactly what I was looking for, Pogo, and exactly what I had expected. I used to own a couple of Glock 20s. One was stock and the other set up to shoot .40. I really noticed no practical difference in shooting either. With that, I figured the same would be true of handling characteristics of 10mm vs. .45.

I'd really like to try the test with lightweight commander-style 1911s with newer-tech frames than the old Colts and see what happens there.

Best,
    Jon
    "You may not know it, but there's things that gnaw at a man worse than dyin'."

Charles Travis Postlewaite, 1882

Was that "Factory" 10mm ammo the FBI stuff that you get from the major manufacturers or the original 10mm you get from places like DoubleTap? The factory 180 grain 10mm from Fed goes around 950 - 1000 fps I believe. From Double Tap it is almost 1300 fps, significantly more powerful.

I do not know about a lightweight frame for a 10. I think I heard bad things about it at www.10mmtalk.com so try posting there.

I find the 10mm full power to be a much faster slap than the gradual push of the 45 in a 1911. The gun also seems to cycle faster. It is nothing to make it unshootabel in a 5" 1911 but it is noticable.

Pogo pretty well hit how the 45 and 10 act in the 21 and G20

The glock really soaks up the felt recoil i prefer to shoot 10mm g20 over the 40 g22 its more controllable

VIP Member
    Jon, I haven't used the 10mm in any shorter lengths, but my S&W 1066 is a lamb. I have a 439 (9mm) with aluminum frame that is the same basic design and I notice no real difference. My wife shoots the 1066 quite well. Check this thread for some action photos.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=13924

She also shoots the Springfield GI .45 and the SIG P239 357SIG. The only complaints she has about the 1066 or the .45 is that they do not have Hogue grips like the two P239s. We have fired both regular 10mm ammo and some that have 1350 FPS speed and have found no problem with either. My wife is 5' 4" 120 to 125 lbs. She is still waiting for her brother to bring his .44 Mag down so that she can shoot it. If I get one before the gets here she'll shoot mine. The S&W 1066 has a steel frame unlike the 439 and it weights about the same as the Springfield. I really like the 10mm and if it weren't so big I might consider carrying it. There is one other consideration - I haven't found anyone who makes a holster for it.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

One thing to remember. The 10mm was originally concieved to get as close as possible to duplicating .41 mag ballistics for duty carry type auto pistols. Therefore i don't consider a 10mm running 1300 fps a +p. Norma loaded this round originally with a 200 gn bullet moving well over 1200+ fps as a standard load.So when other companys are loading the 10mm to below 1000fps they are not doing the big10 any service. In my opinion, companies like Double Tap and Cor-Bon are bringing the 10mm to its potential, and that's why i carry a Glock-29 as my every day carry, Now loaded with 155gn Cor-Bons. I have got to try the Double Tap stuff one day.Sorry BigJon, I think i got away from your original question. If having a choice , say between a auto loader in 10mm or.45ACP for hunting purposes, i believe i would have better luck with a 10mm all things equal in the pistols.
    A armed person is a citizen-An unarmed person is a future victim.

As I continue to look at all the different guns and calibers out there I keep coming back to the 10mm. I wish there were more weapons available in 10.

I am leaning more to the G29 for a daily carry gun.

Double tap has a 165gr. Gold Dot going 1400fps out of the Glock 20. The corbon loads look good too.

As stated in the previous posts, the big difference in 10mm vs 45 as far as perceived recoil depends on the ammo. All 180 grain 10mm cartridges are not created equal. With the FBI spec stuff, there is absolutely no differnce in velocity or recoil between a 10mm and a 40 S&W. They are essentially the identical cartridge. The entire reason the .40 came into being was because Winchester realized that if the FBI wanted a .40 diameter bullet travelling at 950-980 fps, they could fit it into a smaller package that would work in a 9mm sized firearm. If you are going to buy a 10mm and only load it with FBI spec ammo, do yourself a favor and buy a .40. Ammo is much cheaper and more plentiful and the stock guns built around it are smaller.
    The true potential of the 10mm is in the original Norma spec loadings; 180-200 grain bullets at 1150-1350 fps. With such loads, there can be a noticable difference in perceived recoil and muzzle flip when comparing the 10 to a 45. As an example, 45 ACP runs at a PSI ceiling of about 17,000; while the 10mm is running at 32,000-34,000. So you can see in the hot 10mm cartridges pressures are peaking ALOT faster.
    I am a big fan of the 10mm. My current project is building a 1911 10mm CCO package; a Caspian Officers frame with Commander slide.
    It's diet will be Double Tap 165s. Yes, it will be snappy.
    "He who makes things with his hands is a laborer, he who makes things with his hands and his head is a craftsman, he who makes things with his hands, his head, and his heart is an artist."
    www.garritysgunleather.com

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    As I continue to look at all the different guns and calibers out there I keep coming back to the 10mm. I wish there were more weapons available in 10.

I am leaning more to the G29 for a daily carry gun.

Double tap has a 165gr. Gold Dot going 1400fps out of the Glock 20. The corbon loads look good too.
    I have a G29 that I carry, and have the +2 mag extentions for it as well. I also have a KKM 357Sig BBL that drops right in the gun, making it a very formitable unit.. Lots of horepower (in both calibers) and very little recoil in the 357 Sig..BBL........due to the weight of the G29s slide and recoil springs
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH View Post
    I have a G29 that I carry, and have the +2 mag extentions for it as well. I also have a KKM 357Sig BBL that drops right in the gun, making it a very formitable unit.. Lots of horepower (in both calibers) and very little recoil in the 357 Sig..BBL........due to the weight of the G29s slide and recoil springs
    Thanks for the info.

Do the mags from the .357 glock work in the 29?

VIP Member
    Jon, I didn't say in my other post, but I use Corbon Pow'R Ball in my 1066. The projectile is only 135 gr. plus the polymer ball. The velocity is 1400fps. I have also used some Corbon JHP 150 gr. at 1325fps. I plan to get some Corbon DPX soon to see how it performs. The target ammo we fire is 180 gr. at 1100fps.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by myusername View Post
    Thanks for the info.

Do the mags from the .357 glock work in the 29?
    Yes they do..........they feed flawlessly............I use the G29 mags for the 357 Sig ammo..............the shoulder of the brass helps to feed the ammo into the chamber...............never had a FTF or FTE yet... pretty amazing to see this (use the 10mm mag for the 357 Sig ammo)
    I use Win 175Gr silvertips for the 10MM and 135Gr Gold Dots for the 357 Sig ammo
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

Sponsored Links