Kahr p380

Kahr p380

This is a discussion on Kahr p380 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; A friend of mine just recently purchased a p380 and that gun jams like no other. When it cycles and a new round goes in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Kahr p380

Kahr p380

A friend of mine just recently purchased a p380 and that gun jams like no other. When it cycles and a new round goes in the chamber, it won't feed the round completely. Anyone have any ideas about this or is familiar with this pistol?

Is it new? Have you tried different ammo? Is it clean and lubed properly? Does it jam with different shooters? Have you tried a different mag?

Some small autos are more ammo sensitive than others. My P380 runs fine with everything until it gets dirty and then I have some FTRBs with certain ammo. The Kahr make take some breaking in. Mine is still under 200 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtnmanca View Post
    A friend of mine just recently purchased a p380 and that gun jams like no other. When it cycles and a new round goes in the chamber, it won't feed the round completely. Anyone have any ideas about this or is familiar with this pistol?
    Yes, I'm familiar with it. Have had a few of them. Never could get any of them to function error-free. Basic jamming and cycling issues. All were sent back to Kahr at least once. All experienced the jamming across multiple magazines, multiple people, a wide variety of ammo (FMJ, JHP), well-maintained/lubed. All had 500+ rounds through them before seriously striving to nail down the issues, so they each should have long since been past any suitable "break-in" period. That was my experience.

Many, though, have zero issues with the P380, or the PM9 as well. Fantastic package, if you can find an error-free example.
    Foo909 likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array hardluk1's Avatar
    I love my cm and cw9 but for a 380 I bought taurus TCP 380. Trouble free little jewel of pistol. Now if the kahr was a 300 dollar pistol I would have bought one and worked it out.

A Khar 380 is a $650 gun. Next you need to run 600 rounds ($300) + range time ($100), and then you need to feed it $40 a box ammo. These pocket rockets get expensive. I finally bought a S&W 642, and shot 25 rounds through it.

Quote Originally Posted by theskunk View Post
    A Khar 380 is a $650 gun. Next you need to run 600 rounds ($300) + range time ($100), and then you need to feed it $40 a box ammo. These pocket rockets get expensive. I finally bought a S&W 642, and shot 25 rounds through it.
    That's about been my experience as well, with multiple PM9s. Much happier with my Ruger LCR.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Kahrs require a break in period. I know it sucks, but that's just the way it is. You can do the same thing to break the gun in by racking the slide about a 1000 times to assimilate
    firing actual ammo. I've done the cheapo break in with all five of my Kahrs, and have yet to have a failure of any kind. No range time, no ammo costs...and you get a workout in the process.

If you don't follow directions (the owners manual suggests 200 rounds break in) you will hate your Kahr and end up selling it to someone that will read the directions and end up
    with a perfectly reliable pistol.
    surefire7 and Hodad like this.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

I wish I could give you majic words or advice that would make that P380 function in a flawless way, but I can't. I owned one of those 2 years ago and put nearly 1,000 rounds through it..... Mine never was consistently reliable. On average, I had at least 2 failures (to feed or to eject) out over every 50 rounds. It went back to Kahr, I changed the recoil spring and magazine springs to no avail. It was an unfortunate situation for me because I've now sworn off ALL Kahr pistols....even though I know it is possible to get one from them that is reliable. I learned my lesson and now the smallest I've gone on pistol size is a Glock 26. Your friend faces a sad decision....invest hundreds of dollars in 380acp ammo trying to get that Kahr to be reliable....or giving up and possibly buying a pocket revolver. I guess if I were him I might give the pistol 2-300 rounds hoping it would work out.... He probably should go to the Kahr forum and get advice as far as proper lubrication.... Good luck to him..

Quote Originally Posted by zonker1986 View Post
    If you don't follow directions (the owners manual suggests 200 rounds break in) you will hate your Kahr and end up selling it to someone that will read the directions and end up with a perfectly reliable pistol.
    I wish this were true, but it isn't. If you get a good one, then you are good to go. However, there is no denying the fact that there are a significant percentage of Kahr pistols that just don't function like they should. You can't place all the blame on the users.

OP - Since your friend just recently purchased the pistol, I would suggest he at least finish the break in period, if he has not already. If he still has issues after that, he can try different brands of ammo, or call Kahr and send it back in to them to look over.
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Go to Kahrtalk.com. I polished the inside of the chamber with a Dremel and felt wheel and it stopped doing that.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Kahrs require a break in period. I know it sucks, but that's just the way it is. You can do the same thing to break the gun in by racking the slide about a 1000 times to assimilate firing actual ammo.
    Which only addresses the recoil spring tension and slide rail smoothness. Does nothing for fit or finish, if indeed those end up being contributing factors in the specific case.

Still, every individual gun is different. Some seem reliable right out of the box; others smooth down quickly enough, somewhere around the Kahr-recommended 200rd initial break-in period; while others can't get them to run well to save their lives.

OP: I'm all for the P380, PM9 or CM9, if you can find a decent, reliable example. Nothing else on the market beats the size/weight/caliber combination of the package, IMO. Good luck in the search.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Which only addresses the recoil spring tension and slide rail smoothness. Does nothing for fit or finish, if indeed those end up being contributing factors in the specific case.

Still, every individual gun is different. Some seem reliable right out of the box; others smooth down quickly enough, somewhere around the Kahr-recommended 200rd initial break-in period; while others can't get them to run well to save their lives.

OP: I'm all for the P380, PM9 or CM9, if you can find a decent, reliable example. Nothing else on the market beats the size/weight/caliber combination of the package, IMO. Good luck in the search.
    I agree. Which is why I gave Kahr four opportunities to perform. Unfortunately, I was not one of the lucky ones.

The weight and caliber advantages of Kahr pistols can be matched (or exceeded) by a light weight revolver. The Kahrs have the advantage in overall size - but if you are going to pocket carry them, that issue is addressed easily enough by some inexpensive tailoring (deepening) of your pocket.

OP - Your friend will have to decide how much time/money/effort to put into getting the pistol to run properly. If he can get it working, he will be happy with the gun's size/weight/firepower combination. If not, there are other options out there.

Good luck!
    CT Lasers

Polish the feed ramp and chamber with a Dremel and some rouge. That should smooth it out.

My K40, CW40, PM40 and PM9 were great from the box with very little trouble.

My P380 on the other hand was a bonafide piece of junk despite it's beauty and on-the-surface precision. Took over 1000 rounds of ammo between me and Kahr, and THREE trips back to Kahr to become reliable. This all took place over most of 2011. The last trip resulted in a frame change.

My much less expensive LCP and BG380 were reliable from the box.

The P380 was the best of the three when it was working right. Best trigger, best sights, most accurate. But I never could quite get the mental picture of all the stovepipes and erratic ejection I'd experienced out of my head and finally realized I'd never trust it completely to protect my life, which is after all about the only reason for a pocket .380.

I sold it and told the buyer the truth. I had had no failures of any type with it since it last came back from Kahr and ONLY with Corbon 90 grain +P loads. I continue to enjoy my LCP and BG380.

Something funny and different about the P380 as opposed to other Kahrs in my experience.

Sure was pretty and fun to shoot when it worked.

Both my PM9 and P380 have functioned fine. I bought the 380 used so not sure of the # of rounds through it before. I did clean and lube both guns before going to the range (the PM9 was new). My husband tries to shoot the 380 and it will jam occasionally for him but never for me. Not sure about that one, he's a more experienced shooter than me, so he's certainly not limpwristing it. We have shot a variety of ammo through both and again, no issues.
    "Good decisions come from experience;
    experience comes from bad decisions"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links