Failure to go into battery M&P 9c

This is a discussion on Failure to go into battery M&P 9c within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all, I have a smith and wesson m and p 9 c. I went to the range today to blow off some steam before ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By NMB

Thread: Failure to go into battery M&P 9c

Hi all,
    I have a smith and wesson m and p 9 c. I went to the range today to blow off some steam before finals and I bought some RWS ammunition. It was there and it was cheap so I figured why not for just target practice. When I loaded the mag and tried to rack the slide the shell would get about halfway in the chamber and then lock up. However, when I did finally get it to go into battery I could shoot a full mag problem free. Could it just be the ammo and if not does anyone have any ideas to remedy the problem? Thanks for the help.

NMB
    Did you try locking the slide back then releasing it using the slide release? It may be that you werent pulling the slide far enough back when racking it. I had this problem with my Kahr CM9 (notoriously stiff recoil springs).

Is the pistol new? Does it do this with other ammo?

The fact that it cycled fine when firing leads me to believe its operator error.
    oneshot likes this.
    NRA Member
    Certified Kitchen Gunsmith

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."
    - C.S. Lewis

It is a fairly new pistol. I bought it this summer and probably have 500-600 rounds through it. I have never had this problem before and have used the 100 round boxes of WWB from Walmart. I did lock the slide back, insert the mag, and hit the slide release button. It was kinda sporadic, sometimes it would jam, others it would work. When I went to reload it with carry ammo (Hornady Critical Defense) it had no issue cycling.

Distinguished Member
    When "racking the slide" one should pull back all of the way and let go (slingshot method), don't ride it in. And, some people say use the slide release but it isn't a slide release, it is a slide LOCK. The button releases the slide after it is locked but it is really a lock not a release and using the slide lock to release it can result in extra wear (metal vs. metal) over time. So, the "slingshot" method is probably what you want to do.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Old argument. Glock manual says load the chamber by either means. I do and it works fine either way with all my handguns. If a round won't chamber using the slide release, something ain't right. How would one expect to reload one-handed otherwise?

My guess is the cut for the head groove is less than specs and the extractor is hanging up on it. Especially after the previous 500-600 shots worked fine until this brand was used. It could also be the combo if the extractor is a tad to tight with that brand. Use what works reliably.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How would one expect to reload one-handed otherwise?
    By the ALTERNATE method of using the slide lock button, but not as a primary method. But it is everyone's choice as to how they do things. So, if someone is okay with using it for that, fine. I just don't want to put anymore wear on my parts than I have to. And yes, I do use it when training for one handed use, but only then.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

The feed ramp could use a good cleaning/polishing probably. Next time you clean your gun really try to get as much crud off of there as possible. I also have the M&P Compact 9mm and noticed when I first stripped it down that the feed ramp isn't as highly polished as the feed ramp on my XD subcompact so I pay extra close attention to it.

Re: Failure to go into battery M&P 9c

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    How would one expect to reload one-handed otherwise?
    Alternative methods include any means of pulling the slide back slightly and releasing, e.g. using the heel of your shoe (if kneeling), friction on your thigh, the rear sights on your belt buckle, a table, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Distinguished Member
    Is RSW steel cased ammo? My M&P 40c didn't like steel cased stuff on my first couple hundred rounds. It would do exactly as yours did, although I did have a few fail to feed even while the gun was cycling. I haven't yet ran some more through it to see if its different now, I've got prob just a tad over 1k rnds through it now.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Based on the critical defense cycling with no problems and the WWB cycling no problems, I would say it was the ammo you were trying to use and move on. I would however, keep and eye out if the problem persists with other ammo.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

I would say the ammo is out of spec.As far as slingshot method over hitting the little slidelock/release lever with your finger in a firefight you will resort to what you practice,during a reload from slide lock it's possible your finger can slip off the small area costing you precious seconds in getting your gun back in action,slingshot method IMHO is a much more secure way to reload for guns with small tabs for releasing.
    One upside for guns with larger slide release levers like on a 1911 is after seating a fresh mag you can release the slide while acquiring your 2 handed grip which can get your gun back on target a little quicker
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Links