Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

This is a discussion on Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I had a gun and the extractor snapped off I would send it back to the MFG for repair and if it proved to ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

If I had a gun and the extractor snapped off I would send it back to the MFG for repair and if it proved to be durable again then I would carry it. I think anything is possible with any firearm. However, I have never had an extractor just snap off a gun before and I have fired a lot of guns.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    No. I'd leave it home until it straightened up and acted right.
    I was going to ask if it was a Taurus but I see you already fessed up. I too, like to run 300 rounds through a gun before trusting it for defensive purposes. Even a revolver. I had a Taurus 85UL that stopped 3 times at under 200 rounds. After factory repair I took it to a gun show and traded it for a Dan Wesson 15-2 in the deal of lifetime. I eventually replaced it with an LCR.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent2006 View Post
    If I had a gun and the extractor snapped off I would send it back to the MFG for repair and if it proved to be durable again then I would carry it. I think anything is possible with any firearm. However, I have never had an extractor just snap off a gun before and I have fired a lot of guns.
    Pretty much this. I've been lucky and haven't had any trouble whatsoever with any of the guns I've bought NIB or used. If I had a problem, I'd send it back and run it until I felt comfortable enough with it before I put it back in the line up.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin

"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Administrator
    Without getting into my exact reasons why - in your case you should have it repaired by Taurus and trade it for that Ruger. You are going to take a bit of a beating on the trade but, (such is life) just do it and don't look back.
    FlaRon likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

The other day at the gun range I found a Broken AR15 trigger,the back part that holds the disconnecter spring was MIA,MIM parts can fail,All I can say is it is your peace of mind and security,
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

There is no way I would carry a gun that had failed for me at the range. I would endeavor to get the gun fixed and running flawlessly for many hundreds of rounds of mixed-manufacture ammunition before I would even begin to contemplate possibly ever carrying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    taurus 738 perfect little pocket gun but I think its going to get replaced with a ruger. It snapped right off
    Ahhhhh, so. I have three Tauri that had catastrophic failures. Once Taurus finally got them fixed, they were good to go. Whether you can ever trust the gun again is
    your call.
    Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

Like some were saying, it all depends. What exactly would you describe as a "failure"? IMO, the slide flying off the gun versus a fail to eject is completely different. To answer your question, I have before. Every once in a while my LCP would fail to eject the last round in the magazine, it happened about 3 times out of the 400 rounds I have put through it so far.
    FlaRon likes this.

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by xXxplosive View Post
    No confidence in it.............get rid of it.
    If the gun dont run it gets sold,simple.......No one should carry a
    gun thats either a lemon or particular on how its supposed to be shot

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Like some were saying, it all depends. What exactly would you describe as a "failure"? IMO, the slide flying off the gun versus a fail to eject is completely different. To answer your question, I have before. Every once in a while my LCP would fail to eject the last round in the magazine, it happened about 3 times out of the 400 rounds I have put through it so far.
    And that is acceptable for you? 3 times out of 400...How many rounds in your LCP? sounds like you would be having a failure or problems with 1 in every 40 or 50 mag changes
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

500 rounds of ball ammo and 100 rounds of SD ammo with zero malfunctions before I'll consider an auto-loader worthy of carrying.
    Any subsequent range failures and the post-repair vailidation numbers increase. Any failures after that and the weapon is history.
    bombthrower77 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Distinguished Member
    A Taurus huh? Been down that road with taurus (2 tcp's as a matter of fact). I had to learn that lesson the hard way, even though I had read enough reviews to know I should of probably stayed away from taurus, like I said - sometimes you gotta learn the hard way . Dump it, and move on to a qaulity brand.
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    Bought it new in september 2012 extractor broke after 100 rounds
    Soiunds like the extractor was defective from the get-go. I'd suggest going back to the range with the new extractor in place and seeing how it does. Personally, I wouldn't feel right trusting a pistol as a carry gun unless I've watched it eat at least 100 rounds of my carry ammo without missing a beat...and preferably more than that.

Edit: Whoppo (above) has stublmed on the recipe that gives me a warm fuzzy - but I'm new at this and have no issue admitting that I still have lots to learn. Of the two pistols that I have purchased for carry, my H&K has run through 700 rounds of FMJ and 140 rounds of SD ammo without even a hiccup. The other pistol has fired 100 rounds of FMJ and 100 rounds of SD ammo....but with three stoppages...so I'm thinking that it needs to go back to the factory and I'll re-do the process when they get it back to me. If it still keeps choking when I get it back, I will not carry it.

Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

8 yrs ago, I had a bad round that had blown the extractor...sent back to SIG with the case--confirmed bad ammo. They replaced the extractor at no cost.

I got the slide back...took it to the range and fired about 500 rds through it. I carried it without a problem and trust my P229 to work without a problem.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

MJK
    A failure at the range can be corrected and is merely an inconvenience. A failure during a lethal force encounter may mean that you don't survive.

Does one foreshadow the other? I don't have the stats but my gut tells me that failures which prevent the weapon from functioning on the range may be an indicator of poor quality in other parts. At the very least I would perform a detailed inspection and increase the break-in period following part replacement in order to garner confidence that I don't have a lemon.

Also consider this...if it's a new weapon then most manufacturers recommend anywhere from 100-500 rounds be fired to break it in. Generally speaking the failure rate during this period is higher than during mid-life due to infant mortality (the weapon is on the front-end of the bathtub curve). That's one of the reasons we have a break-in period - to "stress" the system and wrangle out any weaknesses carried over from the manufacturing process. The other purpose of a break-in period is to allow parts to wear against one-another and decrease friction due to tight tolerances/material differences.

It would be interesting to contact the manufacturer and ask if they have experienced significant numbers of warranty replacements for this part. If so, it could indicate a manufacturing, material or design flaw.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links