Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range? - Page 3

Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

This is a discussion on Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If the gun fails, and then is fixed, after taking it to the range and putting it through a reliability run, then yes, I trust ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

VIP Member
    If the gun fails, and then is fixed, after taking it to the range and putting it through a reliability run, then yes, I trust it. One failure is no reason to not trust /get rid of it.

Look at it this way. If you went out and bought a brand new corvette, and after having it for 2 months the alternator (or any other part) failed. After getting it back from the dealer, with the part replaced, would you get rid of it? I doubt it. You would go on and drive it for years.

Now if it turned out that it was a lemon and was one problem after another, that is a different story. Dump it and get something else.
    LouisianaMan likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

I agree. When it comes back run it through its paces. My Walter has always had a fail to extract problem after 30 to 50 rounds. Once it gets warm it starts jamming however I have never had it jam before 30 rounds of a range session. I would carry it if I needed to but its not my first choice. My Sig p250 has never had a single problem. I have put 450 rounds of ball ammo and 40 rounds of SD ammo through it. I carry the Sig.

I will say I was strongly advised by multiple shops (including the local Taurus dealer) and smith to avoid Taurus autos due to reliability issues. Ymmv.

Re: Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

Really depends on the failure for me. I too have gone down the Taurus road. At first, I really liked it - a Taurus 24/7c .40 - and never had any issues. After about 600 rounds, it developed a lot of play and just seemed too loose. Sent it to Taurus, had it back in less than 2 weeks with a list of about 4 different failures - including a cracked and damaged frame. With that, I couldn't trust it again. Sold at a very minor loss....replace it with an XD40 service and never looked back.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Re: Do you trust a gun for carry after it fails on the range?

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    And that is acceptable for you? 3 times out of 400...How many rounds in your LCP? sounds like you would be having a failure or problems with 1 in every 40 or 50 mag changes
    Nope, that's why I purchased another gun! My total round count in the LCP is right around 400 and I've stopped shooting it. The fact that the fail to eject issues were not isolated and happened every 75-100 rounds was bothering.

I ended up getting a Glock 27 and haven't looked back. Only 300 rounds though it so far, but all have been flawless. No regrets. :D

The only time that any of my modern, "defense" guns have ever failed, is when shooting reloads. Bulged case, bad primer, improperly seated primer, too light a charge for a lighter than standard bullet for caliber. Besides the occasional bulged case in 38 military brass, really the only problems that I had was trying to make bunny fart loads with light bullets and too light a powder charge.
    None of my guns have ever failed shooting factory target or defense rounds.
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    Bought it new in september 2012 extractor broke after 100 rounds
    Was it a 1911?
    "There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." ~ P. J. O'Rourke

Like most have said, it depends on why there was a failure. For example, after over 4,000 rounds through my PPS, it began to have problems. Of course I knew what the problem was, the recoil spring was reaching its end of life. I simply replaced the spring/guide rod assembly, (no charge from Smith & Wesson/Walther) and it again functions flawlessly. Shoot it enough and parts/springs wear out, Cheap fix, or in this case, free fix.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

it was six weeks old and the extractor broke in half, not bent, not worn. it broke in half and i never found the other half. about 130 rounds through it. Taurus 738. Firing federal 95 grain fmj. Taking it to the range right now

VIP Member
    it was six weeks old and the extractor broke in half, not bent, not worn. it broke in half and i never found the other half. about 130 rounds through it. Taurus 738. Firing federal 95 grain fmj. Taking it to the range right now
    Could have just been a faulty extractor. After several hundred rounds without failure I'd go with it.

Just about every gun model out there has some that have failed and been sent back to the mnfr. Thousands of guns, tens of thousands of parts. It's inevitable. Who knows, had the original extractor been on another gun, yours may never had failed. Here's just a sampling of my experiences:

- I have a SW model 60-14 that had a very very loose yoke and a large yoke to frame gap. Sent it back to smith and they replace the rod, bolt pin stop, etc. and it's fine. A loose yoke is not critical at first, but if left unchecked over time it could lead to timing a lock up problems. But after the fix I would trust it with my life.

- I have a CZ 75D PCR that I carry. When I first got it it would fail to feed hollowpoints reliably (about one fail per mag). I looked at what the issue was - I could see that the the HP cone was catching on the top of the barrel, opposite the feed ramp. Just a hairline indentation almost flush with the hollowpoint cone. I took a dremel and grinded down a very small amount on the top of the barrel (you can't even tell) and then polished it. I'd say it's had at least 1300 rounds now of all types without a single failure of any type.

- One of my SW 686's is a 686-2 that had been sent back SW for timing and locking problems (the owner disclosed this to me before the purchase). I examined the gun, it seemed fine, so I purchased it. I ran 100 rounds of .38's and .357's through it, and it did not have single problem. Although it is not my nightstand gun, I would use it as such without worry.

- Another 686 I bought had chronic light strikes. I took it apart and discovered the leaf spring had been backed off. I tightened it up and it works fine. No failures, and nice deep strikes. I'd trust it with my life.

- One of my 640's has aftermarket springs in it installed by the previous owner. It seemed fine, and after I purchased it I took it to the range. I bought some blazer's at the range, and I had one FTF. I thought it was the springs - lighter springs on j-frames sometimes are not good for carries. I took the gun home and discovered it was bone dry. There was absolute no lube in it. I cleaned and oiled it, and I've since fired another 130 rounds without failure. Now a light strike on a j-frame is a BIG deal, but since I cleaned it all the primer strikes are nice and deep. It's not my main carry, but I would carry it without worry.

But the bottom line is this - Are YOU confident in the gun? If not, get another in which you are confident. You don't need a nagging feeling about your carry. Sometimes logic prevails, sometimes it does not. It's not a big deal if you have a hang-up about the gun now. It's your life, and you need to do what's comfortable.

On a related note, guns that I consider "bum" I usually don't sell if they are carry weapons. If I'm not comfortable with it, I sure as heck ain't gonna sell it to someone and let them deal with it.

Got to be your call sounds like you want to dump it only you can know .

I had a taurus model (p22) that I gave the company two shots at and two guns . I dummped it and never looked back will I ever buy
    anonther Taurus for me the answer is no. I do have two Kel Techs .380 and .32 The .32 had a mag clip problem from right out of box fixed and fine . My .380 is bout 4 and half years old has bout 1,500 threw it . It lost trigger at range took to plant fixed .

For me I have trust in bolth of them no plans of dumping less another problem happens

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Bought it new in september 2012 extractor broke after 100 rounds
    OK, with ths specific failure, yes, I would trust the weapon after putting a few hundred more rounds through it. Small parts breakage due to improper heat treatment, or a similar defect, usually makes itself known fairly early. I like to fire a new-to-me handgun fast enough during an early shooting session, to let everything get nice and hot, to expose such probems. Slow-fire plinking may not get a handgun hot enough to challenge bad parts. My late-1990s Kimber Stainess Gold Match is a good example of that; its first shots were slow-fire at pine cones, when everything seemed fine. During its first real range session, however, the extractor warped into a backwards curve, looking like a metal banana.

Had that extractor been the only problem presented by that Gold Match, I might well still own it today, due to its accuracy. (I fitted a replacement extactor, myself.) It was just too finicky regarding magazines, however, only working with McCormick Power Mags, and when I thinned my 1911 herd, around 2002, it was the first to go.

One of my two new Glock G22 pistols, acquired in 2002, was quite the drama queen, until I followed an armorer's advice and replaced the factory magazine springs with heavier Wolff magazine springs. I trusted that G22 after several hundred rounds confirmed it was fine. It was one of my duty/carry pistols until I went with SIG a while later, for better practical accuracy. (Glock later quietly started putting stronger springs into its G22 mags, as I understand it.)

With other weapons, I have experienced a warped slide, and a broken firing pin, early in the guns' break-in period. These things happen.

If your carry gun fails at the range do you trust it enough to carry with you? It was fixed by the company and taking to the range tomorrow to put 50 rounds downrange but i just have an uneasy feeling about it now.
    Depends on the issue(s), as others have suggested.

A specific gun could have a parts failure, crud stuck somewhere, jam up due to bad ammo or bad technique (ie, riding the slide with the thumb), due to the gun being out of tolerance, or simply because it's rough/tight/new. Some of these are easier to resolve than others. And in the case of simply being rough/tight/new, often simply shooting through the issues will result in the gun smoothing up nicely.

For myself, I am fairly tenacious. If the issue(s) that I'm seeing seem like they can be worked through, then generally if the gun is worth it I will try to do so. Though, I have had a few pistols where I've lost confidence in them (and later got rid of them).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Insert usual bashing of Taurus...
    Billb1960 likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

I hate to say this, but it being a Taurus, I would have expected it to have inferior parts from the beginning.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Went well at the range put 70 rounds downrange without any problems. Would of shot more but apparantly, according to the wife, the Christmas budget trumps my ammo budget . Probably make the decision after a few more boxes of rounds. Meanwhile the S&W M&P40 becomes the primary carry. Now if the lotto numbers cooperate................

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links