This is a discussion on Idiot!!!! At gun store within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I get tired of salesman telling me what they think I need to buy, because it's what they want to sell, rather than what I'm ...
I get tired of salesman telling me what they think I need to buy, because it's what they want to sell, rather than what I'm wanting. That's the song and dance that gets old to me.
I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."
Other day at a gunshow in Knoxville, a seller proclaimed to my buddy..."ProMag makes 97% of all magazines for guns"
I grabbed buddy by the shoulder and steered him away.
ProMag has got to be the worst mfg of mags on planet Earth. Period.
They do not and never have produced 97% of all mags.
Hi. Gun shop guy, here.
Imagine being on the other side of the counter. Whew! I love my job, but it is a bit ridiculous dealing with the 'quiz show', GI Joes, unicorn chasers, know-a-littles, etc. There are certainly shop guys who suck, in a variety of ways. There are also many crappy customer types.
Regarding the above:
Quiz show: somebody who actually DOES have a bit of knowledge, usually relating to a specific platform or design. 1911 guys and AR guys are the most common. They'll come in on a mission. That mission is to make Gun Shop Guy look incompetent. They slowly scan the case, nonchalantly migrate to the subject of their expertise, and ask, "What can you tell me about that?" Since they spend multiple hours a day playing "7 Minutes in Heaven" with the subject, and spend obscene amounts of time researching it, Gun Shop Guy is generally less knowledgable about that thing. When GSG fails to mention what Browning had for breakfast on the day when he designed the bushing for the 1911, Quiz Show races home to post on the Internet that GSG is a moron.
GI Joe is "ex military". GSG knows this, because Joe brings it up, a lot. Joe likes to make ambiguous statements that he hopes will make it sound like he used to be a T1 operator. Because he once qualified with an M4 and an M9, Joe thinks he's Qualified Expert at Guns (all of them). Joe "worked with" "a bunch of SF guys", so he likes Sig and HK. This one time, Joe held a SAW. It was awesome.
Unicorn Chasers drive to every shop in town, week after week, asking if GSG has a _____ in stock, "yet". The item he wants is badly back ordered, but telling him so won't stop him from asking again, next week. (Unicorns currently include: PMR-30, Sub-2000 accepting Glock mags, SCAR 16s, ACR, etc). UC occasionally says he "saw it online, for only $(below cost)"... but he never actually buys one. Favorite line, "I can get one for (less than cost), but I want to hold one." UC doesn't understand why GSG doesn't have a wide selection of Nighthawk 1911s or Obscure MegaMilspec SuperDingle Piston Precision AR-15s laying around, waiting for people to play with them and slobber on. When you DO have a Unicorn, UC fondles it, tells you everything you already know, then nods vigorously, and says... "I'll have to think about that."
Know-A-Littles swear by Glocks. ARs are accurate. AKs are reliable. KAL knows a guy who's a cop, and that guy has a Glock. It's the best.
Thankfully, the VAST majority of people I meet are actually awesome. We have a lot of very knowledgable, respectful, friendly regulars. Even many first timers are great. It's just the special few who make us groan.
As an aside... I apologize, on behalf of GSGs everywhere, for ProMag Man and those like him.
I know whatcha mean. I had a guy the other day try to tell me that 9mm & .40 S&W are ballistically the same... The funniest part was the guy works on the other side of the counter.😂 I started to say something, but decided not to; just chuckled to myself and went on my way.
RBid - - I worked in sales for a good part of my life. I can absolutely relate. Your post was true, and entertaining. Thanks!
Sounds to me like you need to find a new career. I spent a few days in the military and based on your comments would not frequent the shop where you work.GI Joe is "ex military". GSG knows this, because Joe brings it up, a lot. Joe likes to make ambiguous statements that he hopes will make it sound like he used to be a T1 operator. Because he once qualified with an M4 and an M9, Joe thinks he's Qualified Expert at Guns (all of them). Joe "worked with" "a bunch of SF guys", so he likes Sig and HK. This one time, Joe held a SAW. It was awesome.
He probably read it in the internet, if it is there, it must be true..........
ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL
Friend of Bill
If your takeaway from that post was something that makes you feel that way, I respect that call.
Sadly, you'd have been missing the point. GI Joe does not represent service men or women, as a whole. He is the guy who lacks integrity and humility, who seeks to lord himself over others through implication that he is or was something he never was.
I respect people who own their station in life, from fry cooks to medical professionals, from accountants to janitors. I don't care what (legal) occupation a person has. I care how they conduct themselves. I judge people based on conduct, and I default to respecting anybody who takes pride in what they do, and who they really are.
I have zero respect for people who try to be what they have never been.
If this view would make you want to shop elsewhere, then we would both benefit from that choice. My many military and LE regulars, friends, family, and coworkers share this view, or have at least never demonstrated issue with it. Then again, the people I choose to surround myself with are the sorts who own who and what they are.
I wish you the best, and applaud that you made a statement expressing your feelings.
Since turnabout is fair play... Gun shop guys:
- Sumthnfancy: His favorite color is FDE, he refers to his CCW as what he's "running", he refers repeatedly to your "system", and his daughter's name is Sarahcote. That M1A you're asking about? Duuuude. Too heavy! Sumthnfancy has a lot of knowledge, but he rambles incessantly, because he has the attention spa
- The Apostle: you came in asking if the LGS had a Ruger LCP, and he walked you over to the Rock Island Armory 1911a1 Tactical. You commented that it looked too big for concealed carry. He smiled, lifted his shirt, and showed you the Springfield TRP stuffed in his pants. You mumbled something about that LCP. He suggested that you might like a Kimber Pro Carry II. You asked to speak with someone else. He said, "Browning is dead. Nobody alive is worth talking to", and handed you a card advertising a psychic. You barfed in your mouth a little. He responded by suggesting that if you barfed in a Glock, and if you barfed in a Colt 1911, the 1911 would function better.
- FPSmushroom: he's kind of amusing, and shows you everything you want to see. He can't tell you much of anything, but is evidently having a great time. When you ask a question, he shrugs, and says, "I bet you could really ____ something up with that!" Oh... and he really wants to sell you a bunch of Tannerite.
- The Grinch: he is NOT happy to see you. Every time you ask him a question, you get the impression that his CCW is there for the day when he can't stand another minute of living in a world full of children, puppies, laughter, and sunshine. He has a binder full of 'kaboom' pictures... and it doesn't discriminate. Glocks 'splode, 1911s suffer frame cracks, CZs fail to extract, Berettas can be dismantled one-handed by street thugs, etc. When you ask what he's recommend, he says, "Bugging out." Society is such a downer!
- The Shark: you were greeted by a guy who seemed pretty nice. He asked, "what brought you in, today?" You said, "I'm new to all of this. I'm getting ready to buy my first gun." In a blur, The Shark leaped across the room, ninja-kicking the other guy out of the way. He offers to show you a Barrett, and suggests that you should expect to spend at least $10,000 to get something reliable... and that's not counting an optic!
- Timmah!!! He's the owner's cousin. He's nice, but he knows about as much about firearms as you know about raising domesticated kangaroos.
- Fanboy and ChumChum, the Dynamic Doodles!: Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock. Glock, Glock Glock Glock. Glock Glock, "Glock Glock Glock Glock!" Glock Glock. "I know, right?!"
- Kalvin Kurtis Klein: at first, he seems opinionated, but not too bad. Then, out of nowhere, he winks, and says something so offensive that you feel obligated to call your non-white friends to apologize for his existence, just because you heard it.
- Chuck. Chuck once stopped a Hong Kong spree shooting, from his living room in Tampa. He is The Man. If you listen to his stories, he says, "I like you", and tries to sell you the same kind of handgun he's wearing.
- Encyclopedia Brian-ica. You asked about which caliber he suggests. Three weeks later, you're getting a publishing deal for your examination of terminal ballistics, and Brian wrote the forward for you. He knows everything there is to know, EXCEPT when enough is enough.
These are just a few. There are many more. I probably suck, too.
I’m glad my last LGS experience was much more pleasant. Went in and the sales people were already busy with other customers so I just looked around for a bit. I did not see what I was looking for so when one of the sales people was free I asked if they had a Colt Delta Elite, his answer was they are in the case over there. Went over to the case and picked out the one I wanted then asked if there was a discount for cash, he looked at the tag and took a few dollars off. Told him I needed to go out to my truck and get the cash and handed him my DL and CCW. Came back in filled out the paperwork and paid. Very nice, I got what I wanted; he made a sale so we were both happy.
When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
"Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
Hóka-héy! Crazy Horse
RBid, I find you entertaining. LGS personalities thread would be worth a view.
"Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
"Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis