Which gun 'just goes off'? (honest question)

This is a discussion on Which gun 'just goes off'? (honest question) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anybody who thinks a gun cannot go off without pulling the trigger intentionally to discharge the weapon in my opinion is a fool who should ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which gun 'just goes off'? (honest question)

Anybody who thinks a gun cannot go off without pulling the trigger intentionally to discharge the weapon in my opinion is a fool who should not be carrying a gun, what is a gun it is mechanical with moving parts, and some parts are made in properly with imperfections and some parts fail, and some people just wear their weapons out, how many people have had a double barrel shotgun that was worn out and you pull the trigger once and both barrels would fire, some people do not maintain their firearm properly some people take their firearm apart and do not put it back together properly, and we know there have been recalls on certain firearms, why is it people are told never to point your weapon at somebody unless you intend to shoot them, yes it's probably very Rere that this happens but if it's mechanical it can break, I am not aware of one product made of moving parts that has not failed one time or another from something as simple as a pocket knife to a jet commercial airliner, not everybody buys the best quality firearms and some people just do not have the knowledge to maintain them properly, we can decrease the chances of an accident happened like this by 1 buying good quality weapons 2 learning how to maintain them properly and by treating it like it can go off,

2. Remove Ads

At all times treat any weapon as if is loaded , Check and recheck,Make it safe, but in all my years I have never ever seen a gun load itself and just go off . The issue here is assuming it is empty and improperly handling said weapon.

Weapons that have had trigger played with can . Seen it happen.
    As for dropping them on the hammer there have been a recall or two in the past to correct that. There was a well know revolver some years ago that had been around for years had a big recall because in some case striking the hammer could cause it to fire.
    But a weapon to magically go off hard fro me to except

the gun that killed this poor kid, had the user's finger on the trigger.

idiot killed his boy...because he didn't care enough about gun safety.

he should be charged with negligent homicide.

I've seen videos of the Remington 700 going off without the trigger being touched due to the faulty safety as mentioned above. I've never seen it in person but a good shooting buddy of mine was practicing with one and had it happen to him. The rifle was sitting in a lead sled and he didn't have his hand anywhere near the trigger.
    Growing up in AK I've seen guns and other mechanical instruments act up in funny ways going in and out of extreme cold weather. One old timer likes to tell a story about his favorite side-by-side 12 gauge putting a hole in his trapping cabin when he was younger. Turns out that he had the hammers back and when he found his birds he pulled the trigger and nothing happened. Either the grease/lube congealed to the point where they wouldn't drop or it had internal condensation that froze. He got back to the cabin and propped it in the corner. About 20 minutes after the woodstove was lit....KA-BOOM....instant skylight.

It's already been well covered but I'll trow in my .02 that no modern made firearm in good working order can just go off by itself. When I was teaching firearms classes I would demonstrate that fact by holding (a demonstrated unloaded) pistol and I would jump up and down with it my hand (pointed in a safe direction), I would yell at it at the top of my lungs and give the dirtiest look I could muster, and surprise, surprise, I never could get the hammer to fall without pressing the trigger. Everybody in the class would get a good laugh out of it, but it made the point, and they understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    "Which gun is it ... which can just 'go off'?"

• Very light, single-action triggers, can 'go off' pretty easily (such as finger-on-the-trigger-under-stress-situations), though not by themselves.
    Yup. Had a rifle do that once, with a lighter-weight, competition-style trigger installed in which the trigger weight adjusted a tad too low. A bit of less-than-gentle handling, and ... bang! Never touched the trigger; a simple bump on the side of the stock produced the firing. (Readjusted the trigger fairly quickly, as you can imagine.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I've seen an SKS slam fire, don't know if that really counts or not. Something to do with the firing pin not being captive.

I think she's asking about which guns can go off if the gun is bumped in an unlucky manner. It's the dropped gun scenario I worry about the most. I'm mostly not worried about an accidental trigger-pull, because those should be taking place in specific environments (i.e., the range or the home). The gun-in-the-purse should be properly holstered with zero chance of getting keys or a pen into the trigger. But the purse can still get smacked.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    Makarov firing pins, which are free floating, have been known to stick forward and fire off unintended rounds. Of course this is after one pulls the trigger. Technically, that would be "just going off" in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo909 View Post
    I've seen an SKS slam fire, don't know if that really counts or not. Something to do with the firing pin not being captive.
    I haven't seen it personally, but I understand the phenomenon. It's not unique to the SKS. Generally it's a product of a free floating firing pin, ammo with softer primers than what the rifle was designed to use (many of the older military specs seem to call for fairly hard primers), the bolt slamming forward, with indifferent maintenance sometimes contributing. I've also heard of it on semi-auto M14's that are being fed civilian spec'd .308 ammo.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    I think Remington pretty well put the story of the 700 trigger to bed as just an anti gun news story. In every case shown Rem was able to show that the trigger was altered, or rusted to the point that it was out of spec. The one guy shown on the news footage with a malfunctioning 700 refused to allow anyone to see his trigger. All of the military documents that were shown in the news coverage when read all the way through showed that the triggers were adjusted out of spec or the sears were honed beyond safe use.

As far as Single Action Army Colt style revolvers, There manual safety was to keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. This works much like any good mechanical safety. no amount of mishandling or dropping can make it fire from that position. But like any manual safety the user must use it.

I don't think any modern fire arm will just "go off". And I think you could press the word modern back to at least 1900 and a little before. NDs can always be traced to human error. DR

Jennings/Bryco

let's not forget that this guy tried to sell a loaded firearm, with one in the chamber.

safety was off, finger on trigger, pointed at own son.

this guy was criminally negligent.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan6406 View Post
    I take that back I have seen bullets "Cook" and go off. Barrel gets hot enough to fire the bullet without using the primer. Only time i seen it was in larger caliber military automatics

+1. I saw a M-60 do that in Vietnam. Only way to stop it was to break the ammo belt.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links