Which gun 'just goes off'? (honest question)

This is a discussion on Which gun 'just goes off'? (honest question) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Daughter just emailed me asking "Which gun is it ... which can just 'go off'?" Of course we all know they don't 'just go off' ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which gun 'just goes off'? (honest question)

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar

Daughter just emailed me asking "Which gun is it ... which can just 'go off'?"

Of course we all know they don't 'just go off' by themselves. What I'm trying to do is get to the basis for the myth she's voicing. Note that my daughter is pro-2A and is likely asking because a friend asked her (so she can say, "stay away from ___ and you're good to go").

I'm thinking that the basis for this myth might be:
    • Older revolvers, if dropped to land on the hammer, can 'just go off';
    • Just about ANY weapon, if stuffed into a pocket with keys and such can 'go off' because the trigger is pulled;
    • Just about ANY weapon without a grip safety, can 'go off' if you catch it by the trigger as it slides down your pants or is falling; and
    • Very light, single-action triggers, can 'go off' pretty easily (such as finger-on-the-trigger-under-stress-situations), though not by themselves.

Other thoughts?

Guns without firing pin blocks can "just go off" if they are dropped. Otherwise every other example involves the trigger being pulled.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Ever try and get a hammer to go forward without pulling the trigger? Near impossible

Not a spontaneous event. Any gun laying on a table can't "go off". The trigger has to be pulled somehow except maybe on an old single action revolver, as you say. I'd find out from your daughter exactly why she is asking, rather than assuming it is her friend. It is a serious question to the asker even though it sounds silly to us.
    goldshellback likes this.

I take that back I have seen bullets "Cook" and go off. Barrel gets hot enough to fire the bullet without using the primer. Only time i seen it was in larger caliber military automatics

Maybe you should tell her that "They all do! That's why I stay away from guns". Think she'll get the sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    Daughter just emailed me asking "Which gun is it ... which can just 'go off'?"Of course we all know they don't 'just go off' by themselves. What I'm trying to do is get to the basis for the myth she's voicing. Note that my daughter is pro-2A and is likely asking because a friend asked her (so she can say, "stay away from ___ and you're good to go").I'm thinking that the basis for this myth might be:
    • Older revolvers, if dropped to land on the hammer, can 'just go off';
    • Just about ANY weapon, if stuffed into a pocket with keys and such can 'go off' because the trigger is pulled;
    • Just about ANY weapon without a grip safety, can 'go off' if you catch it by the trigger as it slides down your pants or is falling; and
    • Very light, single-action triggers, can 'go off' pretty easily (such as finger-on-the-trigger-under-stress-situations), though not by themselves.
    Other thoughts?
    There is only one "Real" answer. It is any loaded gun in the hands of an untrained person.
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

There have been a fair number of civil cases before the courts involving non-intentional discharges of Remington 700 rifles. Some people claim that there's an issue with the design of the trigger connector, and when the safety is off, the gun can fire without the trigger being pulled. Remington claims that there is no problem, and the non-intentional discharges are a result of inexperienced gun handling. Lots of people know about this because there was a documnetary done a few years ago.

I own a 700. It's never fired without my finger on the trigger....but it also has the "new" trigger, not the older design with the trigger connector.

The Remington 700 has come under fire before for its trigger mechanism. I have read multiple reports on multiple sites, where people have had them fire as they disengage the safety. One hunter said there was no way his finger was near the trigger, as he was using thumb and trigger finger to silently move the safety. I've done that, so I couldn't discount his story.

https://www.google.com/search?q=remi...&client=safari

Make your own mind up on this, I'm sure there are plenty of people that defend Remington.

I've heard of a few guns just going off but it's rare. The gun is broken, poorly designed, or on fire...or some combination of the three. Hang around these forums long enough and someone will talk about it.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

I think the 'myth' is because people often say "It just went off" when in fact, they actually pulled the trigger (perhaps accidently).

No gun "just goes off". There is a stupid or careless human involved in every single discharge of a gun, planned or otherwise.

A firearm that fires from an open bolt with a worn down sear can go off when dropped hard enough.

Or more commonly through user error.
    oneshot likes this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

[QUOTE=Paymeister;2481336]Daughter just emailed me asking "Which gun is it ... which can just 'go off'?"

Spontaneous Discharge of a Firearm in an MR Imaging Environment I saw this during some training...Off duty LEO entered hospital MRI room. Magnets always on, soon his weapon was in the donut..pics included. Firing pin block in place, round discharged somehow....freak of magnetism.

Quote Originally Posted by pir8fan View Post
    No gun "just goes off". There is a stupid or careless human involved in every single discharge of a gun, planned or otherwise.
    In rare cases it does happen. For the most part, I agree with you.
    Glock 23 - CZ 452 ZKM Special - Walther P22
    LMT STD 16 - Mossberg 500A - Kahr P380
    Henry H001Y - Winchester 12
    Smith & Wesson M&P Shield - Mossberg 500B
    Marlin 336Y - Kahr MK9

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links