New EDC and Range Gun - Page 2

New EDC and Range Gun

This is a discussion on New EDC and Range Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I've heard every excuse for a guy to get a new gun & yours is a good one. Do you plan on keeping ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New EDC and Range Gun

GH
    I think I've heard every excuse for a guy to get a new gun & yours is a good one. Do you plan on keeping the 9C?
    Glenn

USN Submarine & UDT/SEAL Veteran
    1SG, US Army Retired - Airborne Infantry All the Way!
    Special Warfare Mentor
    M&P40, M&P40C

I think that the Shield would probably make the most sense for you. It is essentially the same as your M&Pc, just thinner and with a manual safety. It will feel lighter, not just bc of the weight of the gun but bc you'll have less rounds too.
    Police Defensive Tactics, Firearms, Carbine Rifle and Taser Instructor
    Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member
    It is better to have your gun and not need it, than to need it and not have it!
    You cannot choose the conditions for a gunfight, so train in all conditions!

Quote Originally Posted by GH View Post
    I think I've heard every excuse for a guy to get a new gun & yours is a good one. Do you plan on keeping the 9C?
    Not sure yet. Depends upon finances at the time I decide what to buy. If I keep it, it will serve as a nighttime home defense gun, given its higher round capacity.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Some of this is going to come down to personal preference. I have fired the Kahr, and of the three you mentioned, I liked it the least. As to the PPS and Shield discussion, my EDC is a PPS. I have over 4,000 rounds through it, and it has been flawless. it fits my hand perfectly. As to the Shield, again, good gun. For me, I prefer the trigger on the PPS, as well as the grip. But again, some of that is really subjective. So if reliability is an issue, I can tell you the PPS is great. The Shield is a little too new to comment upon in the shooting community, although i do like S&W a lot as a company. I know this is of probably no help.
    No, your post has been very informative for me. One of the factors that has me leaning toward the shield, although I like the PPS trigger and ergonomics a bit better, is the S&W lifetime warranty, as opposed to the one year Kahr warranty. This could become important with a gun I plan to shoot a lot.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Funny you mentioned warranty. After about 4,000 rounds it was time for a new recoil spring/guide rod. Now this is a normal wear item. So I called customer service to order the new spring. i told them my round count and asked them to ship it out. They said great,. I asked how much do I owe you, and the rep said nothing, it's on us. Now I completely expected to pay for this part. Again, a normal wear part. CS wouldn't hear of it, Within three days I had the part, and all worked as normal. I don't think service gets better than that.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

I'll throw in my usual Walther support:

My EDC for CC is a PPS in 9mm. I've put about 1200 rounds through it now without a single failure. 250 of those have been Speer Gold Dots. It's a very tight, accurate gun that fits very well in my hands. For reference, I have relatively short fingers, compared to palm. From base of my middle finger to wrist is about 4.25" and width is 4", longest finger is 3.25". The PPS fits my hand very well, and felt better in hand than an LC9, though I've not held a Shield.

It's super easy to break down and clean, has a very smooth DA trigger pull, with a relatively crisp break. It's slim and fits very comfortably, I barely notice it in my Crossbreed Supertuck, and even when it rode in a cheapo Big Mike's IWB it was easy to forget. It's a bit of a heavier pistol, for its size, but I've found I much prefer it to my friends Nano (my only direct fire comparison). It could be my imagination, but the weight seems to help with recoil and follow up shot placement.

Any of them are fine choices, from what I've read, but my personal experience will keep me recommending the PPS for single stack, compact 9mms.

I'll have to echo my support for the Walther PPS. Over 1000 rounds, nary a hiccup. Not only does it outshoot all the other pistols I've owned in 9 mm, including full-sized range pistols with "match" barrels (only my custom shop Colt 1911 will shoot tighter groups), with the 7 and 8 round mags, you get a full 4-finger grip. It's barely an inch at it's widest (didn't have to buy all new pants), and not only comfortable enough to be my EDC, but accurate enough to be my 9mm of choice at the range
    "Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness"
    Annonymous

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I went online to check your numbers. The 21.7 ounce weight for the S&W M&P 9c is listed on the S&W website, but for an empty gun with no magazine. I found elsewhere on the web that a loaded gun with 12+1 rounds of ammo (the capacity) weighs 30.8 ounces. Since the OP will be carrying a loaded M&P 9c, I think it is only fair to look at the loaded weight with magazine when comparing to alternatives like the Shield, CW9 or PPS.
    I don't think looking at loaded weight is all that applicable, in all honesty. It's more relevant what the guns weight unloaded because he doesn't have to carry at full capacity, and 7 rounds in one gun is going to weight the same as 7 rounds in another (unless you switch calibers). If gun weight was important enough to give up 5 rounds of capacity, then just carry 5 less rounds...
    aus71383 likes this.

I would suggest looking at a new belt. Perhaps a Wilderness or a Beltman belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    As I have gotten older I have found it incresingly uncomfortable to carry my M&Pc 9mm around all day, even with a good gun belt and holster.

So, I have decided to get a lighter and thinner 9mm. Now, since I beiieve in shooting frequently what I carry and get to the range almost weekly, I will be putting a lot of rounds though the gun, and since it will also be serving as my EDC, it obviously needs to be both durable and reliable.

I have narrowed my choices to the Walther PPS, the Kahr CW9, and the new S&W Shield.

I would very much be interested in feedback and recommendations from Forum members who have had experience with these guns. If you could include the specific reasons for your recommendations it would be most helpful.

Thanks..
    Any of the three you list are great choices. I personally carry a Shield and find it really disappears in a hybrid holster with a good gun belt.
    IMO it's not just the weight of the firearm but the thickness and the grip length that determine what is more comfortable to carry. My experience is that a little difference in any of those three factors can mean a big difference in carry ability.

I have a Ruger SR9c which is similar to your M&P. Like you I wanted something thinner and lighter. Narrowed my choices to the Shield or Ruger LC9. Both are similar in size. Settled on the Ruger because I couldn't find a Shield. Although I shoot the 9c much better, the LC9 certainly is easier to carry.

I'm not familiar w/ the first two on your list , but I did get to shoot a Shield and its striker firing system is very nice. Wish I would have waited to get one.

hth.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    No, your post has been very informative for me. One of the factors that has me leaning toward the shield, although I like the PPS trigger and ergonomics a bit better, is the S&W lifetime warranty, as opposed to the one year Kahr warranty. This could become important with a gun I plan to shoot a lot.

I tried the Shield before getting my PPS and I favor the PPS trigger. The PPS also fit my hand better. I have read that Walther stands behind their guns, beyond the one year time period.
    If you purchase the PPS from galleryofguns.com (Davidson's), it comes with LIFETIME warranty. IMO, you will love the PPS.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Personally I think your wasting your time. If you look at the weight of the guns, there is very little difference. The M&P 9c is listed at 21.7 oz. The Shield is listed at 19 oz. The Kahr CW9 is 19.7 oz. and the PPS is 21.3 oz. The difference in weight is insignificant. I'd look again at my rig and carry position first.
    Agreed... I just picked up three new pistols in the last couple months or so, a Sig 938, a Springfield XDS and a Glock 19 Gen4. Guess which one I'm carrying everyday..... THE GLOCK! Not to mention, good luck finding the shield...
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Distinguished Member Array Gideon's Avatar
    Personally I would recommend the Kahr P9. It weights 15 ounces and that is a significant savings over your current gun. I would NOT recommend the CW9 if you want to shoot alot because it's a 2 finger grip and simply isn't as pleasant, fun, or ergonomic as the longer grip of the P9. The extra cost of the P9 over the economy version is worth it as it looks better and has a better, more accurate barrel. It's thin, light and has the best DAO trigger of any gun I've ever fired. I have the P9, MK9, K9, and P380 by Kahr and find them to be just about the perfect CCW gun. Kahr customer service is good. I don't care for the shield because it doesn't have any advantage over the Kahr but (if I'm not mistaken) it has a mag disconnect which I think is a VERY bad thing on a defensive gun. Also, I'd encourage you to stick with the 9mm and not drop to a .380.

If a Kahr P9 is uncomfortable then just about anything suitable for self defense will be as well.

If there's any negative at all for the P9, it's the rough checkering in the grip. I use a Hogue Handall Jr. grip sleeve and it's pure heaven. I've also used the "A" grip wrap and love how it feels but not so much how it looks.

good luck
    Gideon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links