New EDC and Range Gun

This is a discussion on New EDC and Range Gun within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I have gotten older I have found it incresingly uncomfortable to carry my M&Pc 9mm around all day, even with a good gun belt ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New EDC and Range Gun

New EDC and Range Gun

As I have gotten older I have found it incresingly uncomfortable to carry my M&Pc 9mm around all day, even with a good gun belt and holster.

So, I have decided to get a lighter and thinner 9mm. Now, since I beiieve in shooting frequently what I carry and get to the range almost weekly, I will be putting a lot of rounds though the gun, and since it will also be serving as my EDC, it obviously needs to be both durable and reliable.

I have narrowed my choices to the Walther PPS, the Kahr CW9, and the new S&W Shield.

I would very much be interested in feedback and recommendations from Forum members who have had experience with these guns. If you could include the specific reasons for your recommendations it would be most helpful.

Thanks..
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Personally I think your wasting your time. If you look at the weight of the guns, there is very little difference. The M&P 9c is listed at 21.7 oz. The Shield is listed at 19 oz. The Kahr CW9 is 19.7 oz. and the PPS is 21.3 oz. The difference in weight is insignificant. I'd look again at my rig and carry position first.
    GH and gottabkiddin like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

What good gun belt and holster are you using? That is quite a small/light gun already. Also - where are you carrying it?

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Personally I think your wasting your time. If you look at the weight of the guns, there is very little difference. The M&P 9c is listed at 21.7 oz. The Shield is listed at 19 oz. The Kahr CW9 is 19.7 oz. and the PPS is 21.3 oz. The difference in weight is insignificant. I'd look again at my rig and carry position first.
    I agree 100%
    Randy
    "The only purpose for a pistol is to fight your way back to the rifle you should have never laid down". -unknown

Yep. A couple ounces is not going to make a significant difference in carry feel. Check your rig.

+1 I have a galco king tuk for my 9c. And Im experimenting with different positions and ride cant. Ive tried the 4:00 position but I like 3:00 better. Now I just gotta get the ride and cant adjusted. The bueaty of this type of holster is its adjustabillity. Ive thought about single stack 9mms. And I dont see giving up round count for a scant few ounces.

Loaded weight vs empty weight without magazine

I went online to check your numbers. The 21.7 ounce weight for the S&W M&P 9c is listed on the S&W website, but for an empty gun with no magazine. I found elsewhere on the web that a loaded gun with 12+1 rounds of ammo (the capacity) weighs 30.8 ounces. Since the OP will be carrying a loaded M&P 9c, I think it is only fair to look at the loaded weight with magazine when comparing to alternatives like the Shield, CW9 or PPS.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

I understand what you are saying, but it is not only the weight, but thinness of a single stack in terms of concealing the gun. I live in Florida and usually wear shorts and a T shirt

I usually hate IWB carry, but have found it is reasonably comfortable with a much thinner gun.
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

New EDC and Range Gun

The shield wins out of all of those, for me. Best trigger of the bunch, pleasant to shoot, comes with a flush and extended mag, and everyone I know who bought a 9mm shield (including some very picky shooters who have owned every platform available) have been thoroughly pleased with it, with no malfunctions.

Re: New EDC and Range Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I understand what you are saying, but it is not only the weight, but thinness of a single stack in terms of concealing the gun. I live in Florida and usually wear shorts and a T shirt

I usually hate IWB carry, but have found it is reasonably comfortable with a much thinner gun.
    Ron,
    I too have considered trading my Glock 27 for a Shield 40 due to the reduced width. What other thinner guns do you have experience carrying?

For all day carry regardless of attire, the S&W 442 is hard to beat. Airweight snub revolvers are a great addition to any carry line up.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinFool View Post
    Yep. A couple ounces is not going to make a significant difference in carry feel. Check your rig.
    I believe My rig Is good. I have a stiff Beltman gun belt, a leather holster, made by one of the better craftsman, and a OWB kydex Raven.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Ron,
    I too have considered trading my Glock 27 for a Shield 40 due to the reduced width. What other thinner guns do you have experience carrying?
    I have a Kel-Tec PF-9, which is great to carry and which I shoot surprisingly well, but it broke at the 1,500 round count. Kel-Tec replaced the slide and a bunch of other internal parts and it has been good since with about 250 rounds through it.

But, although easy to conceal and, for me, to shoot, I will no longer trust it with my life.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by redbeardsong View Post
    The shield wins out of all of those, for me. Best trigger of the bunch, pleasant to shoot, comes with a flush and extended mag, and everyone I know who bought a 9mm shield (including some very picky shooters who have owned every platform available) have been thoroughly pleased with it, with no malfunctions.
    Yes, that is the feedback I have heard, so am leaning in that direction at the moment.

J. R. R. Tolkien

Some of this is going to come down to personal preference. I have fired the Kahr, and of the three you mentioned, I liked it the least. As to the PPS and Shield discussion, my EDC is a PPS. I have over 4,000 rounds through it, and it has been flawless. it fits my hand perfectly. As to the Shield, again, good gun. For me, I prefer the trigger on the PPS, as well as the grip. But again, some of that is really subjective. So if reliability is an issue, I can tell you the PPS is great. The Shield is a little too new to comment upon in the shooting community, although i do like S&W a lot as a company. I know this is of probably no help.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links