Anyone Know Anything About the S&W 622 .22lr, (Semi-auto)?

This is a discussion on Anyone Know Anything About the S&W 622 .22lr, (Semi-auto)? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw this used but appearing new at my Range gun store, very sharp looking S&W 622.22lr - really nice feel, light and well-balanced. But ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By DallasCMT

Thread: Anyone Know Anything About the S&W 622 .22lr, (Semi-auto)?

Anyone Know Anything About the S&W 622 .22lr, (Semi-auto)?

I saw this used but appearing new at my Range gun store, very sharp looking S&W 622.22lr - really nice feel, light and well-balanced. But knowing the problems semi-autos can have with rimfire I was wondering if anyone knew of this gun, especially its reliability. Thanks

2. Remove Ads

I got a 622 new in '96. I had a 1 jam with it the first magazine I fired in it using cheapest ammo I could find at the time. I never had another problem with it again until a few months ago when the firing pin channel got gunked up and it failed to go off. I consider that my fault for never having cleaned out the firing pin before though. .22 ammo can be pretty dirty. One of the main reasons I bought mine is the light weight and I wanted something for NC Game Lands carry and small game hunting. I hardly notice carry it in the woods. Taking it apart to clean is a bit of a pain, but I really have enjoyed mine. I even used it to qualify with to get my NC CHP last year because it is cheap to shoot and very accurate, although I do not use it for a CCW.

Distinguished Member Array ripley16's Avatar
    A 622 should run at around $300 if in good shape. These are accurate and reliable. I can't recall any malfunctions but I rarely shoot the gun. I'd call it a very competent plinker. Takedown is a bit odd. Never my favorite .22, but not because of quality, more because it's different in a way I don't appreciate. If you get it for a good price, and you like the feel, then go for it.

Here's mine.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellB View Post
    I got a 622 new in '96. I had a 1 jam with it the first magazine I fired in it using cheapest ammo I could find at the time. I never had another problem with it again until a few months ago when the firing pin channel got gunked up and it failed to go off. I consider that my fault for never having cleaned out the firing pin before though. .22 ammo can be pretty dirty. One of the main reasons I bought mine is the light weight and I wanted something for NC Game Lands carry and small game hunting. I hardly notice carry it in the woods. Taking it apart to clean is a bit of a pain, but I really have enjoyed mine. I even used it to qualify with to get my NC CHP last year because it is cheap to shoot and very accurate, although I do not use it for a CCW.
    That's all very good to hear. My range owner has a price of $280, sounds very reasonable for a close-to-new gun.

Quote Originally Posted by ripley16 View Post
    A 622 should run at around $300 if in good shape. These are accurate and reliable. I can't recall any malfunctions but I rarely shoot the gun. I'd call it a very competent plinker. Takedown is a bit odd. Never my favorite .22, but not because of quality, more because it's different in a way I don't appreciate. If you get it for a good price, and you like the feel, then go for it.

Here's mine.
    Nice! The one I'm looking at has no woods, I see they really perk up an already good looking gun.

Thanks!

I bought a S&W 622 VR (ventilated rib), apparently the VR was only made for one year. I've really enjoyed the gun over the years and it's a fun shooter. I keep it ready with Stingers around the house and it shoots those best but has no issue with 500-count box ammo. I paid $238.10 for it on 01/11/1997. :)
    detective likes this.

Links