Votes: 47 17.5%
  • Semi-Automatic

Votes: 174 64.9%
  • Both get equal time in my carry rotation

Votes: 47 17.5%

Simple Poll...Revolver or SemiAuto

6K views 73 replies 68 participants last post by  shadowwalker 
#1 ·
As a CCW instructor, I was just curious about the number of people carrying revolvers versus semi-automatics. I figure the best place to start is here at Defensive Carry. So which is it for you?

#27 ·
Semi-autos are by far more popular and that's what I prefer to carry. Revolvers just aren't as cool. Like Mel Gibson said in "Lethal Weapon" in response to Roger's answer that he carried a Smith. "Yeah, a lot of the old guys carry those."

But from a practical standpoint, it's easy to slip a pocket holstered snubby in my right front pocket and that's what I do. It's easy to visually check that the chambers are loaded, there's no safety to fool with, no worries about stovepipes or failures to feed, and a .357 packs plenty of punch.

#29 ·
My Glock-36 is usually with me, but at times, my Ruger SP 101 wants to go with me.

#36 ·
My husband has tried and tried again to convince me to like his revolvers. I don't know why when I started shooting I was attracted to the semi auto's, but that's all I've bought personally and all I like. I have humored him and shot his a couple of times - nope, just don't like them.

So it works out - we have his and hers guns, he's got a couple revolvers and I've got a couple semi's. One day we went to the range and I encouraged him to shoot my XD. He really had no interest but after a bit there he said he wanted to go ahead and check it out. He loved it and shot better with it. He keeps saying he wants one now... My response is "no honey, we can share this one, we should buy an XDs or a Shield rather than have 2 of the same exact gun" Of course my reasoning for this is he doesn't have his carry license so we'd only "share" the one at the range but I'd have carry choices on a daily basis!! :D

#38 ·
There's really no logic to this but...

I'll usually carry my Ruger SP101 .357 during the day for little trips to town or whatever. But at night I'm more inclined to carry a higher capacity pistol like my Kimber or Glock and a spare magizine.

Possibly because it seems most the person(s) on person crime around here happens under the cover of darkness?

#42 ·
I carry both, but not equally. I mostly carry a G30 IWB. If that is too big, I will go with the Shield and if that is too big, an LCP. I used to carry a J Frame and still do occassionally, but with the changing demographics of perps, I have changed my carry rotation to be almost exclusively auto-loaders. While 5 shots may be enough most of the time, it may not be enough when you need it. I would rather have more rounds on tap and not need them than have too few...

#46 ·
It's all good

I have the option of carrying either. For most needs a snubbie will get the nod. I seem to shoot them quite well and enjoy their simplicity for daily use. I also carry a small LCP when nothing else will do and am confident of, and with a small .380 pistol. I have been playing a lot with a Kahr PM with night sights recently and as much as I like it, I just tend to find revolvers more comforting. I bought the Kahr thinking it would be easier to carry and conceal but the J frames just seem better/easier.

#47 ·
I've been dabbling in carrying a 1911 in 2012 more than any time in 15 years but still find the revolver suits best.

#52 ·
Anybody who's lucky enough to have both semi-autos & wheel guns in their EDC rotation, is clearly lucky...enough. :biggrin2:

My widely-varying daily agenda often requires; different dress codes, different vehicles & different points of view on EDC. For me, one gun DOESN'T do it all.

#53 ·
G36 or G21sf.

I carry a semi-auto for a bunch of reasons: (1) accuracy (2) reliability (3) capacity (4) speed of reload (5) easy to maintain. Some folks may disagree with me about reliability, but a well-maintained semi-automatic weapon loaded with proven ammunition fired by a trained, competent shooter is just as reliable as the same shooter firing a revolver.

I will confess, however, that sometimes I get nostalgic and think it would be fun to carry my S&W Model 29. But then I come back to reality; carrying a weapon is not about fun...it's about surviving a lethal force encounter possibly involving multiple assailants. My semi-autos afford me the highest probability of accomplishing that objective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.