Simple Poll...Revolver or SemiAuto

This is a discussion on Simple Poll...Revolver or SemiAuto within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the option of carrying either. For most needs a snubbie will get the nod. I seem to shoot them quite well and enjoy ...

View Poll Results: What is your primary carry choice?

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revolver

47 17.47%
  • Semi-Automatic

174 64.68%
  • Both get equal time in my carry rotation

48 17.84%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Simple Poll...Revolver or SemiAuto

It's all good

I have the option of carrying either. For most needs a snubbie will get the nod. I seem to shoot them quite well and enjoy their simplicity for daily use. I also carry a small LCP when nothing else will do and am confident of, and with a small .380 pistol. I have been playing a lot with a Kahr PM with night sights recently and as much as I like it, I just tend to find revolvers more comforting. I bought the Kahr thinking it would be easier to carry and conceal but the J frames just seem better/easier.

2. Remove Ads

I've been dabbling in carrying a 1911 in 2012 more than any time in 15 years but still find the revolver suits best.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Re: Simple Poll...Revolver or SemiAuto

Tough one.

I'm almost split down the middle. Both see about equal carry time.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

XD-S. 'cause I don't like looking like I'm happy to see everyone.

Semi for me.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

I was a revolver guy most of my life. Carried one or another for over 30 years. Switched to a pistol in 2008. Been pistol only since then. Old guys can learn new tricks!
    Question Everything!

Anybody who's lucky enough to have both semi-autos & wheel guns in their EDC rotation, is clearly lucky...enough.

My widely-varying daily agenda often requires; different dress codes, different vehicles & different points of view on EDC. For me, one gun DOESN'T do it all.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

MJK
    G36 or G21sf.

I carry a semi-auto for a bunch of reasons: (1) accuracy (2) reliability (3) capacity (4) speed of reload (5) easy to maintain. Some folks may disagree with me about reliability, but a well-maintained semi-automatic weapon loaded with proven ammunition fired by a trained, competent shooter is just as reliable as the same shooter firing a revolver.

I will confess, however, that sometimes I get nostalgic and think it would be fun to carry my S&W Model 29. But then I come back to reality; carrying a weapon is not about fun...it's about surviving a lethal force encounter possibly involving multiple assailants. My semi-autos afford me the highest probability of accomplishing that objective.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

I consider the Glock 19 to be the most practical carry piece I own. It gets the most play to that purpose followed by one of my snub revolvers.

I carry revolver / semi-auto about 50/50, but I do have 2 semi-auto and only 1 revolver that I have strictly for CC. Out of any one gun, revolver gets the most holster time.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

I carry both at different times. My SP101 is small and light weight while my 1911s are heavier and dont hide as well. I dont feel undergunned with either but then again I am trying to disengage rather than engage. Unless I am home that is but then I am fighting my way to a long gun there (which isnt to far away from anywhere in my home).
    Equality does not exist in the real world - it is a fiction to help the self esteem of those people who consistently fail to succeed.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Senior Moderator
    Snubnose .357 is my everyday choice
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

If I'm actively carrying, it's usually my semi-auto as it is a bit more comfortable. If it is a situation whenI will need to leave it in the car most of the time, I usually pick up the revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by bigarm View Post
    Both
    Yes

I currently have a semi, but I'm hoping to make one of my upcoming purchases a wheel-gun.
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links