Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range... - Page 2

Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

This is a discussion on Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Your friend already has a gun, yet he wants to buy another cheap gun. Tell him to save up some cash so that he can ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

Your friend already has a gun, yet he wants to buy another cheap gun. Tell him to save up some cash so that he can actually buy something that he wants! This is a no brain decision unless his current gun is unreliable.

Diamondback DB9's are $ 329 to $ 350
    ALWAYS CARRY - NEVER TELL

NRA MEMBER
    GOA MEMBER

Friend of Bill

Keltec P11 has been around since 1995 and is not the most refined pistol you can buy, but with 10+1 in a
    package smaller than a G26, its not a bad option. They work.

Kimbers are the guns you show your friends....Glocks are the ones you show your enemies.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Your friend already has a gun, yet he wants to buy another cheap gun. Tell him to save up some cash so that he can actually buy something that he wants! This is a no brain decision unless his current gun is unreliable.
    It's the "got to have it now" mentality. These types of people want what someone else has but don't want to pay for it with their own money because they are not disciplined enough to save their own money so that they can afford to buy quality products.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by sioux565 View Post
    Well he really wants a 9mm for some reason? He has a Taurus 357 (6 in barrel), Blackhawk 45 revolver, and a 380 Taurus so he wants a 9mm to carry. His other guns are not carry guns besides the Taurus 380 he just doesn't like that one it's to small for him.
    Last edited by guitarzNgunz; December 10th, 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: after I found out more about the guns he currently has

I carry a Ruger sr9c. I find it to be a great gun. If you pay attention and watch for sales you can sometimes find it on sale for 400 which is a bit out of his price range. I also have a taurus 709 and it can be found on sale for about 340. Prices, of course, depend on where you live. Used guns might be the way for him to go. Gun stores, gun ranges and pawn shops are some places to look. I just saw a used Glock 19 for 400 not to long ago.

While there are some who say a Taurus is junk, and they have a right to their own opinion, I have two of them and have never had a problem with them. I am more partial to the Ruger but still.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    It's the "got to have it now" mentality. These types of people want what someone else has but don't want to pay for it with their own money because they are not disciplined enough to save their own money so that they can afford to buy quality products.
    Now how would you know what type of person he is. Actually he is very disciplined, he is a disabled NAVY veteran who is on disability and has to keep a roof over his head with minimal income. He wants a carry gun because recently he was stabbed and beaten and almost died.

Senior Member Array StripesDude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    So people who buy "cheap" guns wouldn't buy something more expensive if they had the means to do so? Maybe your collection includes Fabbri and Holland and Holland, or maybe even a Glock is a big purchase for you, but some people don't have $500 to drop on a gun. Going from a $300 380 to a $400 9mm luger is a good decision, if you know anything about ballistics.

Let's stop pretending we are all millionaires, or even someone who has a lot of disposable income to spend on firearms. The guy's looking for recommendations - lets help him out without the snobbish remarks.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    You can find a Kahr CW9 for around $360 these days... quite a good little gun without being too small.
    X2 on the CW9.

LC9

Quote Originally Posted by hfjeff View Post
    X2 on the CW9.
    Another for the Kahr CW9 or CM9. Personally, I prefer the CW9. And I've seen them for $329.00 in places.

And Kahr is NOT a "Lower end Gun". It's made in the USA, has a butter smooth trigger, and has excellent quality standards.

I have an M&P Shield, Used to have a P9, and I still think about going back to the P9 (Same dimensions as the CW9) all the time.

Aside from that... the PF9 is hard to beat. You can get em for $250.
    ...because you never know when the king of England might come looking for back taxes.

- Richard L. Johnson

Bersa Thunder or BP9CC would be my choice if I wanted something new in that price range. I'd probably look for a used Glock, XD, CZ or M&P though.

The other thing you can do is keep an eye out for LEO trade-ins at Aim Surplus, Widener's, and CDNN. Aim has G19's right now for $370. Widener's has Sig P6's for $390. CDNN has S&W 5096's for $329 and 6906's for $370. LEO trades usually have a lot of holster wear, but LEO's don't shoot their guns a lot typically, and they are almost always armored annually. They are usually very solid guns that just look less than new. Some are a little over the price point, I know

Here's an idea. I skimmed the thread and don't know if it's already been mentioned. Sell the Taurus. If he is on a strict budget, he doesn't need two guns. 380 isn't that cheap to shoot. If in good shape, he might be able to get $150 for it. His $300-$350 becomes as much as $500. Tops in that range for me are the same as others: XD9sc, M&P9c, Glock 26, Bersa UC9...but not necessarily in that order. You may be able to find some of these used in his original price range. But it won't be easy...
    phreddy, Scramble4a5 and DomiFan like this.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Beretta Nano as low as $360
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

For people on a tight budget I frequently recommend the 3rd gen. Smith's; fantastic, reliable weapons priced way under their value. The 3913 is a little heavy for it's size being a metal gun, but still easy to conceal due to it being so slim. The 5900 and 6900 series are double stack guns in the same line; all 9mm.

There is also plenty of used/LE trade in GLOCKs, many are hardly fired. In fact my local PD is selling their 2nd and 3rd Gen. G22's and G23's to the LEO's if they want them for ~ $300 and are getting Gen. 4's for duty. My buddy's issued Gen. 3 has only been fired for qualification twice a year for 50 rounds. Best he could remember not over 500 rounds. Oh, and his lack of training really showed last time we went to the range together.

Good luck and let us know what he chooses.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links