Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range... - Page 3

Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

This is a discussion on Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I am the 4th to recommend the kahr CW9, I will be honest this comes from no experience, I have never shot a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

I think I am the 4th to recommend the kahr CW9, I will be honest this comes from no experience, I have never shot a CW9 but I have fondled a few and that is the gun I am saving up for now. It is such a nice package!

Kel-Tec PF9 or P11.
    Have Fun and Shoot Straight !!

Ruger SR9c. Usually $369 at GT Distributors. Great shooting gun with a good trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Now how would you know what type of person he is. Actually he is very disciplined, he is a disabled NAVY veteran who is on disability and has to keep a roof over his head with minimal income. He wants a carry gun because recently he was stabbed and beaten and almost died.
    All you really needed to say was the last sentence. You said in an earlier post that he already has a few guns with at least one that is suitable for carrying. We aren't your friend, but it would make more sense to save up to get a gun that he actually wants. If he finds a gun that is more than what he can afford right now, then put off the purchase until he can afford it. It makes much more sense to do that instead of buying something that he doesn't really want for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    So people who buy "cheap" guns wouldn't buy something more expensive if they had the means to do so? Maybe your collection includes Fabbri and Holland and Holland, or maybe even a Glock is a big purchase for you, but some people don't have $500 to drop on a gun. Going from a $300 380 to a $400 9mm luger is a good decision, if you know anything about ballistics.

Let's stop pretending we are all millionaires, or even someone who has a lot of disposable income to spend on firearms. The guy's looking for recommendations - lets help him out without the snobbish remarks.
    Every post in this thread is a recommendation to the OP on what we think his friend should do. Some of us, including myself, thinks that his friend should wait until he has enough money to buy what he wants. If that means that he would have to wait a few months longer to purchase a gun because it cost more, then so be it. It is much more reasonable to do that than to settle for something less because he was impatient and did not want to wait. The OP already stated that his friend has a gun suitable for carrying, so carry that in the mean time. My first carry gun was a Ruger LCP. It was a great gun, but a few a month of carrying and shooting, I wanted something bigger. When I decided I wanted a Glock, I did not have $500-$550 available to spend right away on the gun. What did I do? I waited a few months, saved up some extra cash, and ended up buying something that I actually wanted!

Moral of that post: Don't settle for something less just to satisfy your firearm craving at the time!
    1MoreGoodGuy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarzNgunz View Post
    Now how would you know what type of person he is. Actually he is very disciplined, he is a disabled NAVY veteran who is on disability and has to keep a roof over his head with minimal income. He wants a carry gun because recently he was stabbed and beaten and almost died.
    My post was in response to this post:
    Your friend already has a gun, yet he wants to buy another cheap gun. Tell him to save up some cash so that he can actually buy something that he wants! This is a no brain decision unless his current gun is unreliable.
    It was not directed at your friend but rather at the people who have to have something right now even it it is not what they really want.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StripesDude View Post
    So people who buy "cheap" guns wouldn't buy something more expensive if they had the means to do so? Maybe your collection includes Fabbri and Holland and Holland, or maybe even a Glock is a big purchase for you, but some people don't have $500 to drop on a gun. Going from a $300 380 to a $400 9mm luger is a good decision, if you know anything about ballistics.

Let's stop pretending we are all millionaires, or even someone who has a lot of disposable income to spend on firearms. The guy's looking for recommendations - lets help him out without the snobbish remarks.
    See post up above.

The guy's max budget is $350 so recommending a $400 gun does the guy no good because he doesn't have $400 to spend. If he wants to save his money so that he can afford to buy the $400 gun then you and I are saying the exact same thing...Instead of trying to find and buy a lesser quality gun for $350 you are telling him he should wait and save a few dollars so that he can buy the $400 gun you recommended.

So in your mind it is a "good decision" if you recommend he save up to buy a more expensive gun but it is not a good decision if I recommend he do the same thing???
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    So in your mind it is a "good decision" if you recommend he save up to buy a more expensive gun but it is not a good decision if I recommend he do the same thing???
    That confused me. I need more coffee.

Handgun Database search @ Genitron.com, which can be run with the output sorted by barrel length, overall length, weight. Might be of help to narrow down the options.

Depending on mode of carry, willingness to work with the clothing selections to accommodate, and body shape, IWB might be the preference. If opting for a more-concealable choice, pocket carry might be preferable. Assuming absolute reliability is key, then a pre-owned (police trade-in) Glock 19 might be a good choice, though it's larger than most sub-compact alternatives. If sub-$350 is key, then check the Bersa Thunder Ultra Compact Pro, or one of the pocket/slim-sized Taurus 9mm's, the SIG P290, or the Kahr CW9. Another option might be one of the pre-owned third-generation S&W pistols (3900, 5900, 6900 series), known for their rock-solid reliability, though they're not nearly so concealable as many of the plastic pistols on the market today.

IMO, even an "extremely tight" budget should also allow for a sufficient "break-in" shooting regimen to prove the gun is reliable enough to go into service as a carry gun. (No gun make/model has a perfect track record.) I would strongly suggest factoring in a few hundred rounds into the purchase price.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    IMO, even an "extremely tight" budget should also allow for a sufficient "break-in" shooting regimen to prove the gun is reliable enough to go into service as a carry gun. (No gun make/model has a perfect track record.) I would strongly suggest factoring in a few hundred rounds into the purchase price.
    Glad this was mentioned again because I think it is something a lot of people over look.

VIP Member
    Not sure why there is a hard number? Can you place a price on your life?
    sioux565 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Not sure why there is a hard number? Can you place a price on your life?

Because many of us have budgets that we need to keep to. Why do people here drive Chevy's and Ford and not Volvos if we want to do the same analogy as cost of guns and cars ??? Just saying.......God Bless

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    Because many of us have budgets that we need to keep to. Why do people here drive Chevy's and Ford and not Volvos if we want to do the same analogy as cost of guns and cars ??? Just saying.......God Bless
    I understand, but if your car breaks down you can walk or ride the bus. Maybe he should look into some used.
    I mainly carry my Ruger LC9, was $300.00 after in store rebate. I had to take it to the range alot and get used to it and make sure I trust it. My concern was not the original cost of the gun but what if... I had to use it. Will I ever get it back from the authorities? so yes I can appreciate the cost factor. But what if there was something that was $20.00 or $30.00 more than the budget? Do you have to say no or can you put it on lay a way and get it a week or so later?

Get the PF9. $270.
    Kimber Solo 9mm, Walther PPS 9mm
    Kel Tec PF9 9mm, Ruger LCR .38
    Maverick 88 Tactical 12 ga shotgun at bedside
    Lifetime NRA member

Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

I know the PF9 might be considered lower end, but it may be the most solid choice under $300. I only have about 350 rounds through mine so far, but have had no issues at all. I know some people do which is why running a few hundred rounds through any gun you buy will be necessary.

Good luck!

Just Fyi: I was able to pickup a compact sig p250 9mm for about $400 out the door NEW.

It has been a great gun and there is no lack of good used examples.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links