Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

This is a discussion on Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have a friend who just got his CPL and is interested in finding a concealed compact carry gun for around $300. He is on ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

I have a friend who just got his CPL and is interested in finding a concealed compact carry gun for around $300. He is on an extremely tight budget. I've tried to convince him to get a S&W M&P 9c or Shield, but he said it's out of his price range and doesn't want to get a credit card.

So he's looking for a compact semi auto, in 9mm, something reliable, concealable, and comfortable.

Thanks guys I know this is a tall order, just wondering if this is even possible?

2. Remove Ads

Re: Need help finding a compact 9mm for EDC around $300-$350 price range...

Kel Tec PF9 is the first thing that comes to mind

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    kmagnuss and GrandZJ like this.

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Well, I was going suggest he look at the Ruger LC9, but after paying taxes, buying ammo for testing, ammo for carry, and a holster of some sort, you will need around 500.00..sorry The Ruger can be bought new for 349.99 at the right places. But then there's all the other stuff....can never have enough stuff.......
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

2nd PF9.
    Bersa Thunder UC9

Whatever you get just remember this: Friends don't let friends by Taurus.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Well, I was going suggest he look at the Ruger LC9, but after paying taxes, buying ammo for testing, ammo for carry, and a holster of some sort, you will need around 500.00..sorry The Ruger can be bought new for 349.99 at the right places. But then there's all the other stuff....can never have enough stuff.......
    Yeah that would be fine as long as the gun itself stays around $300-$350 not counting the extras. He was actually considering the LC9 but I told him I didn't like it because the location of the mag release in my opinion sucks. When I tried it at the range I had the mag dump on me like 4 or more times, the same happened to my wife. Along with FTF's and FTE's it was a mess. He was also considering Hi Point but I told him they are reliable but ugly and heavy, so he is looking for other options.

You can find a Kahr CW9 for around $360 these days... quite a good little gun without being too small.
    ruger91 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member Array dben002's Avatar
    Amazing, have put approx 800 rounds (range fire) thru my LC9 and never had a mag dump....how are you holding this gun ???
    There are two types of people who carry concealed weapons...Responsible ones and Irresponsible ones...which are you...

Whatever you get just remember this: Friends don't let friends by Taurus.
    LOL he currently has a Taurus 380 and it was so hard to not tell him Taurus is junk! But he is looking for something bigger thank God! He is 6'6 and 300+ lbs with a huge set of mitts when he cups this little 380 in his hands it literally disappears! So hence the reason he's looking for something a little larger but still a compact. He did ask what I thought about the Taurus 9mm, I told him there is better out there IMO. So he's going to use his Taurus 380 for a BUG.

Pretty limited on the upper end choices with that budget.
    If it were me, I would save up and get something like a G26 , or CZ.
    Brad426 and sioux565 like this.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by dben002 View Post
    Amazing, have put approx 800 rounds (range fire) thru my LC9 and never had a mag dump....how are you holding this gun ???

Same way I hold every gun I've ever shot my entire life, never had this happen to me before. I use the thumbs forward technique. I thought maybe if I changed my grip but even after trying to avoid the release it still happened! I just don't think that should be something you should have to think/worry about. I really wanted to like the LC9 don't get me wrong I was considering getting it for my wife to carry it appears to be a nice gun and I really like the crimson trace laser for it too. But after the problems we encountered there is no way we could stake her life on that. Now it may work for others but not us.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Pretty limited on the upper end choices with that budget.
    If it were me, I would save up and get something like a G26 , or CZ.
    Second that. Better a used Glock than a new lower-end gun.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

plus another vote for the PF9 ($260) or P11 ($240). I read a lot of negative stuff about them on line but I've never had a single issue and neither has anyone I know that owns one. not the most comfortable. not the sexiest. not the greatest trigger. but a very potent little package. also none of the extra safety baggage the LC9 has.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m..._polymer_grips

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m..._10_round_blue

if your friend is any kind of first responder he can get most medium caliber Glocks for about $400 new.

Some people have unrealistic budgets for their expectations.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Taurus 709 ($290), Taurus pt111 ($315), kahr cw 9 ($350), Taurus 24/7 ($390)

Clearly, at that price point, Taurus is an option. Some on here will slam Taurus. The same people also typically swear by Glocks.....I personally believe there are a lot of closet Taurus owners on here.
    Billb1960 likes this.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links