Good cartridge for 9x18?

Good cartridge for 9x18?

This is a discussion on Good cartridge for 9x18? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The Russian 9x18 Makarov seems right for my wife. Size/weight etc are good for her. But I can't seem to find a good cartridge (Hydro-shok, ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By JOThompson

Thread: Good cartridge for 9x18?

Good cartridge for 9x18?

The Russian 9x18 Makarov seems right for my wife. Size/weight etc are good for her. But I can't seem to find a good cartridge (Hydro-shok, etc.). Any suggestions?

VIP Member
    Below is a link to Cheaper Than Dirt.com you can use it as a reference for different makers. I have a couple of boxes of the Critical Defense ammo, as well as a stockpile of JHP ammo from Georgia Arms. I would stay away from the Russian Bear ammo for defensive use.

Cheaper Than Dirt - America's Ultimate Shooting Sports Discounter
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

+1 on Critical Defense ammo. Ammunitiontogo.com is another good source. Local gun store (not big box stores) may have some - Hornady, Winchester, and others (including the Russians) have loadings for 9x18, though mostly ball ammo.
    Last edited by rainmaker; December 10th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.
    Steve

Underwood Ammo is producing some nice looking 9x18 JHP ammo, but I haven't had a chance to shoot any.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    While adequate as a SD round, it is on the lower end of the spectrum. Penetration is marginally better than the .380, so FMJs may be more viable than HPs. The biggest limitation of the 9x18 is the lack of ammo choices. Critical Defence will work, but in some guns it doesn't feed well.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array clarkston_cz's Avatar
    Yes, my guns would feed .380 and 9mm ball, but the .380 didn't like the Hornady XTP.

The CZ82 fed the 9 MAK XTP load just fine.

I carried the smaller CZs for a couple of summers before they came out with the RAMI in 9mm.

With the ceasing of making the CZ83. Many people wanting a CZ82 or CZ83 might be asking the same ammo question.

These days I'd look at this in .380

...but keep the XTP in mind for any MAK chambered guns.

I am of the same persuasion. The CZ82 will certainly feed dependably with FMJ. That's all I have ever used, and it has never missed a lick. For years I have been carrying a CZ82 concealed in a shoulder harness.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    While adequate as a SD round, it is on the lower end of the spectrum. Penetration is marginally better than the .380, so FMJs may be more viable than HPs. The biggest limitation of the 9x18 is the lack of ammo choices. Critical Defence will work, but in some guns it doesn't feed well.
    HANK
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

VIP Member
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=64

IMO: The best loadings there are for a 9x18 Mak for use in the CZ-82.

I use the hard cast 110 grain as I want it to be able to penetrate coats and still do its job.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...duct_list&c=64

IMO: The best loadings there are for a 9x18 Mak for use in the CZ-82.

I use the hard cast 110 grain as I want it to be able to penetrate coats and still do its job.
    I carry an East German Makarov. Don't use anything other than FMJs--you'll need the extra penetration.
    Chorizo likes this.

I keep my CZ-82 in the glove box as the "car gun." It has fired several hundred rounds of Russian Silver Bear 9mm Mak. ammo without a single misfire.

Before the current ammo shortage, JG in Arizona sold this Russian ammo at good prices.

I concur with the posts above that fmj is a good choice.

gold40

Sponsored Links